Thread: Anybody replaced the LCD on an i880?

Device(s)
    Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score

Anybody replaced the LCD on an i880?

I mean the entire inner LCD...I dropped my phone and broke the LCD...I saw them on ebay for ~$40...and if it is not too difficult, I might attempt the repair myself

Device(s)
    Touch Diamond - Sprint
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    if you have taken apart/repaired nextels in the past it is not that hard. use a heat gun to get off the plasitc lcd cover, remove the t6/t4 screws, and the lcd comes right out. take your time, do not break the clips that hold the lcd housing together.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch719
    if you have taken apart/repaired nextels in the past it is not that hard. use a heat gun to get off the plasitc lcd cover, remove the t6/t4 screws, and the lcd comes right out. take your time, do not break the clips that hold the lcd housing together.
    I don't guess there are any how-to's out there are there?

Device(s)
    Touch Diamond - Sprint
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    i dont think i have seen any solid tutorials for a i880 flip. if you have any experience taking apart nextels, the i880 is not that much different. once the plastic lcd cover is removed, the screen basically comes right out (after unclipping the flex ribbon). new one goes in and voila! try it out, else if you need help I would gladly do it for you

Device(s)
    Flogging an i880 w/no camera - and I like it!
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I did the same - replaced the inner LCD on a used i880 I picked up on the cheap with an LCD I picked up off Ebay. The inner LCD for $40 doesn't include the outer LCD, and you need the heat gun to loosen up the glued on outer LCD. Be gentle with it.

The only other 'trick' was to realize that the i880 flip comes apart in 2 halves, and the upper half needs to be lifted up far enough to unhook the flap from the "main" part by the hinge. It's harder to describe accurately than it really is, but just take your time & be gentle.

It helped me that I had a destroyed i880 to take apart, so I was able to see the way things went together. I just used a thumbnail with gentle pressure to pry apart the 2 halves of the flip, but you could probably use a real thin blade if you're careful not to cut yourself or the plastic. The top half of the flip (near to the earpiece) seemed to want to come apart the easiest, and allowed me to work down towards the hinge.

Good luck.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyinH-ville
    I did the same - replaced the inner LCD on a used i880 I picked up on the cheap with an LCD I picked up off Ebay. The inner LCD for $40 doesn't include the outer LCD, and you need the heat gun to loosen up the glued on outer LCD. Be gentle with it.

The only other 'trick' was to realize that the i880 flip comes apart in 2 halves, and the upper half needs to be lifted up far enough to unhook the flap from the "main" part by the hinge. It's harder to describe accurately than it really is, but just take your time & be gentle.

It helped me that I had a destroyed i880 to take apart, so I was able to see the way things went together. I just used a thumbnail with gentle pressure to pry apart the 2 halves of the flip, but you could probably use a real thin blade if you're careful not to cut yourself or the plastic. The top half of the flip (near to the earpiece) seemed to want to come apart the easiest, and allowed me to work down towards the hinge.

Good luck.
    thanks, I may try it this weekend

Device(s)
    HTC TOUCH PRO
    Carrier(s)
    SPRINT
    Feedback Score

help please!!

im in the same boat i fell confident with repairing my own i880 but would really be grateful if you guys knew any other sites where i could order the parts from besides ebay. thanks
    Sprint R.S.C Full Time... San Diego Market
    SPRINT DATA CARD
    INSTINCT USED AS A MODEM

Yay!!!! 200 post on August 20th discussing the Dream.

Device(s)
    3580i
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by javy06
    SNIP*would really be grateful if you guys knew any other sites where i could order the parts from besides ebay. thanks
    EBAY's not the problem, you've just got to look into who's doing the selling. It'll be evident in the FB. Also look at FB they left for others.
    Paul
    Nextel BB 8350i