Thread: unable to change phone number (to new area code) with FAN account

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score

unable to change phone number (to new area code) with FAN account

This is news to me and I wanted someone else's input.

I currently have 3 (703) area codes and 2 (301) area codes with my 5 ATT cell lines. I live in the Washington DC area and have a FAN account at a major hospital I am affliated with.

Now, I travel a lot for work and wanted to change one line to a New York area code. I requested and actually got one of the limited 212 area codes available. Everything was fine and I was about to complete the deal but the Customer Service Rep said she got an error message on her computer saying I could not change my 703 area code to the 212 area code. I was pissed because we all know how hard the 212 area codes are to obtain. Heck, I lived in Manhattan in 2000 and I got some crappy 347 area code when all I wanted 917 area code. (ok this is starting to sound like that Seinfeld Episode about the NYC area codes).

So I was transferred to two other reps, including one in the "relocation" dept. and all 3 reps said since I was under my FAN account, I could not change my area codes to a different market. I could change my number to any area code in the Washington DC/Baltimore market with my FAN, but I could not choose a random area code out of the market.

Is this true?

Feedback Score
    It's mostly true. I believe certain accounts are allowed to have out of market area codes, but in general most accounts cannot have out of market area codes.

Device(s)
    8125 (stolen)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't even heard of "certain accounts" being able to do it. I was always told absolutely, under no circumstances can it be done.

Feedback Score
    If you are all with a given carrier, what does the area code matter? Are you trying to make it so it's a local call to someone in that specific region?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoberGuy
    I haven't even heard of "certain accounts" being able to do it. I was always told absolutely, under no circumstances can it be done.
    I've heard that certain business accounts can do this, but I don't work for AT&T, so I can't say for sure.

Device(s)
    Palm Treo 750 w/ Unbranded WM6
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular (Orange)
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 750: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

My FAN discount doesn't lock me into an area code. Depends on what the business sets up with AT&T.
    JT

Got Ping?

Have question about a Premier/FAN account? Click Here.

Device(s)
    Motorola: Z9, V9, V3xx, V3, C168i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have three separate area codes on my FAN account plan.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GearTripper
    I have three separate area codes on my FAN account plan.
    I have 2 (DC and Mass.) on 3 lines, but it's a blue FAN account, and the set up has been this way for at least a couple years.

Feedback Score
    An account in the NBI (National Billing Initiative) market can have area codes from multiple submarkets. However, New York is the Empire market, which is CARE, while NBI is a Telegence market, that might cause some issues. I've never had an account with numbers from CARE and Telegence markets in one BAN (account), but I think it's possible.
    Last edited by ATnt-RSC; 01-10-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: To better explain some obscure acronyms