Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: gps phone

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    My older HTC P3300/Artemis used SiRF StarIII chipset, and the performance was stellar and comparable to my Acura's navigation.

The newer ones use Qualcomm, not sure abt their performance, but they are still more sensitive then Nokia ones.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Haven't had much experience with the gps on my n82, but it locks very fast. Like 10 seconds. I will check it right now. Haven't used it all day...About 10 seconds, in my house. After turning it off and going outside and trying again it locked right away, 2-3 seconds. I think it remembers the old information though.

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samsung.user
    Haven't had much experience with the gps on my n82, but it locks very fast. Like 10 seconds. I will check it right now. Haven't used it all day...About 10 seconds, in my house. After turning it off and going outside and trying again it locked right away, 2-3 seconds. I think it remembers the old information though.
    Try using it in a completely new area, it may take a while to get a lock.
    A-GPS is neat, but I prefer having a sensitive chip to begin with. That's one thing I missed when I let go of my P3300 and got the E90.

Device(s)
    TREO 650
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't get how paying $9.99 a month for Telenav for a blackberry or HTC Tilt, or motorola Q9H is "gouging". Thats a hell of a bargain considering the cost of a GPS alone unit, or the cost to have your car come with Navigation built in. PLUS with telenav your maps are always up to date, no need to buy new CD's every few years to get all the road contruction thats been done updated on your car or device.

if you don't see using it much there is even a $5.99 option for 10 routes a month instead of unlimited. hardly "price gouging".

I think you will find that there are phones available with built in GPS, but there isnt any turn by turn "Free" gps service that I a aware of. Googlemaps, and blackberrry maps give you directions on the mapo, but no speaking to you when you have an upcoming turn, and they just plot your location on the map, they don't give turn by turn directions.

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CingularDC
    I don't get how paying $9.99 a month for Telenav for a blackberry or HTC Tilt, or motorola Q9H is "gouging". Thats a hell of a bargain considering the cost of a GPS alone unit, or the cost to have your car come with Navigation built in. PLUS with telenav your maps are always up to date, no need to buy new CD's every few years to get all the road contruction thats been done updated on your car or device.

if you don't see using it much there is even a $5.99 option for 10 routes a month instead of unlimited. hardly "price gouging".

I think you will find that there are phones available with built in GPS, but there isnt any turn by turn "Free" gps service that I a aware of. Googlemaps, and blackberrry maps give you directions on the mapo, but no speaking to you when you have an upcoming turn, and they just plot your location on the map, they don't give turn by turn directions.
    Like I said before, my HTC P3300 came with inbuilt GPS chip and TomTom6 with voice guidance for all of US/Canada.

Device(s)
    Yo Momma's Phone
    Carrier(s)
    Best Compromise between Price & Service
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymisra
    Like I said before, my HTC P3300 came with inbuilt GPS chip and TomTom6 with voice guidance for all of US/Canada.
    Guess what, the cost of TomTom was included in the price of the phone.
    CDMA - a great technology, hobbled by greedy carriers and a closed business model. Its a pity, really.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Do you want to prevent your carrier from changing your plan on you even while you're in contract? Complain to the FCC about Sprint terminating contracts here: A short complaint form at the FCC: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid=&id=d1e408

Carrier(s)
    Lord Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Larson
    Guess what, the cost of TomTom was included in the price of the phone.
    Volume license. It becomes cheaper. At the end of the day, I found my purchase to be a smarter decision then say pay $120/year.

PS: I paid $60 extra. You can do the math.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2