Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Step-by-step: Bypass Java security on Rogers LG Shine (TU720)

Device(s)
    LG TU720 Shine
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score

Cool Step-by-step: Bypass Java security on Rogers LG Shine (TU720)

I made an earlier post with instructions for adding custom ringtones to the LG Shine from Rogers. This post uses the same method to bypass the Java security restrictions imposed on the phone which require the user to accept every request for data communication, for all but Rogers signed applications.

What kind of apps could benefit from this? Gmail mobile, Google Maps, Opera mobile browser, etc.

* disclaimer: this works for me but I can't guarantee it won't turn you phone into a pretty looking brick *

OK, here's the procedure. The first few points are the same as for ringtones.

Requirements:
    • Latest BitPim software from www.bitpim.org (tested with 1.0.2)
    • LG phone tools software (provided in box)
    • USB cable (provided in box)

Instructions:
    1. Install software listed above
    2. Hook up phone
    3. Launch BitPim
    4. BitPim should show "Other CDMA phone on COMx" (where x is the COM port being used)
    5. Choose Edit, Settings
    6. Change Phone Type to "LG-VX8700" (this is the CDMA version Shine)
    7. Click OK to close
    8. Choose View, View Filesystem
    9. Click the Filesystem icon
    10. Click the expand button beside "/"
    11. It will say "Retrieving" for a minute or two
    12. Expand to the following directory: /LGAPP/Media/Java/cert
    13. Right-click on the file "rogers.pol" and select "Save ...", then save it to a location on your computer
    14. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE (just in case!)
    15. Open the file with WordPad or another editor (Notepad does not display it correctly, not recommended)
    16. You will notice the file is in sections. Go to the end of the file to the section headed by "domain: untrusted"
    17. Delete everything under that header (but leave the header alone), and replace it with everything copied from the section "domain: C=CA;O=Rogers Wireless;CN=Rogers Wireless Test Root CA"
    18. Save your changes (you did make a backup, right?)
    19. Back in BitPim, right-click on the "cert" folder and select "New File ..."
    20. Select the new "rogers.pol" file you modified, and overwrite the existing file
    21. Disconnect and reboot the phone, you're all set to go!

A few more things you might be interested in:
    • You will need to re-install existing applications. The security seems to be set at install time, so whatever apps you have installed you should remove and re-install.
    • Proof that Rogers is evil - look at the cingular.pol file. It allows for application signed by any trusted source. The rogers.pol file only allows for apps signed by Rogers. This goes well beyond just wanting to protect the customer from bad applications!
    • This edit makes the phone completely trust any java application, so make sure you know what you're installing before you install it!

Enjoy!

Device(s)
    Lg TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thx big time for all this help... I now have solved the ringtones issue. But now i've done the java security bypass on my LG TU720 with the rogers.pol file as you explained, intalled google map mobile, but when i try to open the app from the app file on the phone, java opens but closes seconds after it started and then it goes back to the app list. any idea on how to solve this!?!?

Device(s)
    LG TU720 Shine
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD82
    Thx big time for all this help... I now have solved the ringtones issue. But now i've done the java security bypass on my LG TU720 with the rogers.pol file as you explained, intalled google map mobile, but when i try to open the app from the app file on the phone, java opens but closes seconds after it started and then it goes back to the app list. any idea on how to solve this!?!?
    I've installed google maps myself and didn't have this issue. How did you install it? Did you install it after making the pol file change?

I also made the same policy change to the file "att.pol" but I don't know if that has any effect.

Device(s)
    Lg TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well I think i've done correctly this time and it still doesn't work, i've also check the att.pol file but it was already changed or i don't know if comes like that by default. I've also remove the application before, to reinstall it (google map) after the pol file change, and i've done that with my mobile browser, searched google, then on the google web site clicked on google map(download) downloaded it in the application folder even tried to restart the phone, started the application then i saw the java white screen (the startup one) then after 2 or 3 seconds went back to the application folder. i'm confuse.... ...thx in advance...

Feedback Score
    hey guys what the java security for? and can someone please send me the Ring tones for the tu720 i got so happy that i dele it all.

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    how do you install this java applications? to which folder? i tried saving my jar files on the memory card but there's no install option.

what i did was a bit messed up approach. i renamed my games as just plainly jar, then deleted the one stored in the m008 folder, just replaced the old games. but unfortunately, the names of the games showing are still the old ones and most games that i was able to install were kinda too small.

hope you guys can also give us newbies detailed instruction on how to install these java apps after removing the java security.

thanx in advance

Feedback Score
    Um. You might not want to be playing around with BitPim if you don't even know how to install java applications to your handset.

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    yeah, thats why im asking anyone who knows how.. so they can show us. duuhh??

i was able to install games and apps if you download it from the internet. what i want to learn is to install java apps from pc to cellphone.

i hope next time you comment, you can add the instructions as well, right?

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD82
    Well I think i've done correctly this time and it still doesn't work, i've also check the att.pol file but it was already changed or i don't know if comes like that by default. I've also remove the application before, to reinstall it (google map) after the pol file change, and i've done that with my mobile browser, searched google, then on the google web site clicked on google map(download) downloaded it in the application folder even tried to restart the phone, started the application then i saw the java white screen (the startup one) then after 2 or 3 seconds went back to the application folder. i'm confuse.... ...thx in advance...

I have the same issue too. I downloaded the application from www.google.com/gmm

Feedback Score
    i hope next time you comment, you can add the instructions as well, right?
    Well, I could do that, but what would you learn? Or I could give you vague instructions of how to use Google to look up information that you need to, and in the end you will benefit in the grand scheme.

Try querying "LG Shine Install a JAR" (what an obvious thing to search for) and looking at the 4th link. The KE970 and TU720 are practically the same. You might need to make a few other modifications within BitPim to unlock Application installation. You're on HoFo (not to mention the internet), there's a wealth of information at your finger tips.

Go now, Young Jedi.

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    and i already searched the internet obviously thats why I ended up in this forum. If you have the same phone as ours, you would know the frustration.

i already checked that ke970 weeks ago, but its not the same with rogers. the one who started this thread did helped us greatly by showing us whats up with this java security BS.

this is the first LG phone I had, and ive been a nokia user eversince.. its just here in canada, we dont have much options as compared to europe and asia.

as you can see in postings in this forum, not one has posted yet detailed instructions on how to install java in this specific phone.

looks may be the same with ke970, but thats about it... if I would be able to find a guide in this forum, wont i be wasting my time asking it again here?

Device(s)
    LG TU720 Shine
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    JohnD82 - I'm sorry to see you are having problems even launching java apps, I never came across this issue so I don't think I can help. At this point I'd suggest you put the java security back to normal and try getting support from Rogers or LG. If you're willing to you could even try finding (or buying) a Rogers supported app and see if that at least works.

For everyone else, the only way I've tried installing java apps is via the web browser. If I have time I might see if it can be done directly but don't hold your breath, I don't have much time at the moment!

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    anyone tried using gthing? looks promising. i tried gthingtest and its showing it support tu720.

i have an older version but it just stop responding if you tried to install java... im wondering if anyone here have tried using the latest version

Device(s)
    Lg TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    well i should also add that when i try do download the google map app (to stay with this exemple) there is a screen before the download start that says: untrusted midlet, application google map is unsigned, the source and integrity of this midlet can't be checked....then i have to push the continue button for the download to start

so azhlar, any news with the gthing!? i'm at work so can't try...

Device(s)
    LG Shine TU720
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    i have a question about google map mobile
    does it load the map offline, or does it have to connect to the net inorder to load maps?

also.. to install do u just follow the KE970 instructions after bypassing the java (e.g. there will b an option to install when u click "option").. so this mean it will work for games too rite?

also by reinstalling app... do u mean even the built in ones like rogers vision and such

thx a bunch

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast