Thread: Rookie Question..???

Feedback Score

Question Rookie Question..???

What does "Unlocking" mean????? I'd really appreciate if some one can take their time to explain this to me cuz im new to this. I got a sony ericson w810i.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Also whats "flash" and "unbranded" mean? Sorry to bother about these questions. Is there a place where I can get more info on all this stuff. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Unlocked: You can use your phone with any GSM provider SIM card
    Unbranded: No provider branding on the phone, like if it came directly from Sony Ericsson, not your provider
    Flash: flash new firmware onto your phone, they update the firmware, you can flash it onto the phone
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Feedback Score
    Thanks heavyfluid, So what can I do To my w810i and how can i get the new firmware? Can I use this phone on my wifes Verison service if I unlock it. Thanks

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S Glide
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score
    You cannot use an unlocked GSM phone with Verizon, because Verizon is not a GSM carrier. An unlocked GSM phone will accept SIM cards from any GSM carrier, anywhere in the world, as long as the phone has the bands used in that country. For example, if you bought your phone from AT&T and you unlock it, your phone will still accept SIM's from AT&T but now also accepts SIM's from T-Mobile, SunCom, Centennial, original AT&T Wireless, etc. It will also accept SIM cards from Rogers in Canada and provided your phone has the bands used overseas, it can even work with European carriers and some carriers in Asia and Latin America.

Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, US Cellular, Cricket and MetroPCS (among others) use CDMA, a different wireless phone technology that doesn't even use SIM cards at all, so an unlocked GSM phone won't make you any good with these carriers.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great explanation ^ I probably could have gone a little more in depth but I was lazy.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info people, one little thing I have a W810i on Rogers and if I purchase this K850 with unlocked GSM it would work no prob?
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tab%3DWatching

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dillinger27
    Thanks for the info people, one little thing I have a W810i on Rogers and if I purchase this K850 with unlocked GSM it would work no prob?
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tab%3DWatching
    Yeah, you should be good to go. You will need to input Rogers MMS/Internet settings so that MMS (picture messaging) and internet works, or if you don't care about that stuff, just put your SIM in and you are set.

Feedback Score
    heavy fluid --

you seem to know what you're talking about, and i just ahve a quick question. i have a k790 that needs to be unlocked, and i don't really mind paying for it being unlocked. i just want to make sure i don't go through a sketchy site. do you know of any sites or companys i could go to that would really unlock my phone? basicly, i don't want to be scammed. haha.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6, iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by armadaarmada
    heavy fluid --

you seem to know what you're talking about, and i just ahve a quick question. i have a k790 that needs to be unlocked, and i don't really mind paying for it being unlocked. i just want to make sure i don't go through a sketchy site. do you know of any sites or companys i could go to that would really unlock my phone? basicly, i don't want to be scammed. haha.
    You can always check out HowardForums marketplace OR you can click on the yellow Software Link near the top of the page. (Between Premium and Search I believe.)
    iPhone XS Max | OnePlus 6
    www.blueearlbrewing.com

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I would agree with Baldi. I buy my phones unlocked, so I really don't know of a reputable unlocking site. Anything in the Marketplace should be fairly safe, since they pay to advertise here.