Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackJack WM6 Technical Thread

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T\Cingular
    Feedback Score

BlackJack WM6 Technical Thread

Ok so I'm trying to see if we can move some of the traffic here for Installs, Software Installs, et cetera
    A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi ~ Enjoy life to the fullest

My WM6 Update and Software Link

Device(s)
    Jesusphone v1 2.0.2 JB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Very good idea.

Please, SOMEONE, list the differences (both positive and negative) for all the different working radio and PDA versions out there. It would help those of us who are on the fence about upgrading.

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T\Cingular
    Feedback Score
    All, if ppl will email me their pluses/minuses so that I can also create a sticky. I would like to use this for specific issues of "I can't run this" or "I get this error"

Thanks to ALL for making this forum so alive!

~Dan

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T\Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Ive updated the site

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VERIZON
    Feedback Score
    I noticed that when the original beta version was leaked, I was getting "H" (HSDPA) instead of 3G when web browsing and downloading. I was getting close to 1mbps. Now I only see 300kbps if I am lucky and it only shows 3G. Maybe AT&T turned off HSDPA on their towers? Anyone else experience this?
    I'm tired of buying phones

Device(s)
    Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    A. To start off the Original "About" and "Version" in Settings, information from a Blackjack that was bought in November of 2006 indicates without any changes or updates as follows:

About

Windows Mobile 5.0 with the Messaging and Security Feature Pack
    OS 5.1.342 (Build 15100.3.0.2)
    Radio Version i607UCFJE
    RIL Version 2.002
    C 1996-2006
    Operator: 5.1.342.15100
    Manufacturer : 5.1.342.15100
    Microsoft: 5.1.342.15100
    Language: 5.1.342.15100
    File System: 5.1.342.15100

Version

PDA Version: i607UCFJE
    Phone Version : i607UCFJE
    H/W version: REV0.0
    Eboot version: i607UCFJE

Pros:

1. Upper characters display properly when key held;
    2. End Key consistently works to put phone into lock and end calls in all situations;
    3. PIE page scrolls smoothly including early while page loading;
    4. Scrolling pages is smoother/quicker in programs such as Outlook E-Mails;
    5. Good Mobile Messengering Works;
    6. Battery Performance at least Average, no major incidents of heat ups;
    7. Radio Performance at least Average, may depend on your area;
    8. Some programs still currently only work on Mobile 5 such as MSNBC.Com Mobile
    9. Starts up with Cingular promo instead of AT&T ( )
    10. Is branded "Cingular"
    11. Internet Share Works allowing phone as Modem but battery charges from computer with USB connection or can connect via BlueTooth (and can plug in phone to be powered by A/C)

Cons:

1. Has none of the benefits of Mobile 6 such as html e-mail, improved Task list, changes to Contacts and Calender, working with Exchange Server 2007 (although Office Mobile .Cab later available but this .cab does not open consitently Office 2007 items without 6.1 patch);
    2. Had issue with International Roaming prompting the first upgrade put up on March 22, 2007 on the Samsung Support site which kept phone a Mobile 5 phone;
    3. Displays signal as G, E and 3G with no H when in high speed data transfer
    4. Major Bluetooth compatibility problems, reported not to work with many systems.

Please feel free to add to, clarify, modify or offer different perspective, its just a quick off the top of my head list so we have a starting point of what did the first version do and not do, esp. since we can mix and match the radio version vs. the PDA version.

----------------------------------------------------------------

B. If you update your original Mobile 5 phone or go back and fully flash all aspects with the file currently available at Samsung Support (File Name is BlackJack_Update.zip and is 52.0 MB added March 22, 2007) your phone will be Mobile 5 and state as follows:

PDA: i607UCGB4
    Phone: i607UCGB4

http://www.samsungwireless.com/techt...607_patch.html

Pros: 1. Same as above for original Mobile 5 phone;
    2. International Roaming has been improved in some way in certain countries;

Cons: 1. Same as above for original Mobile 5 phone but International Roaming issue removed as a cons since it was improved in this version.
    2. Some noted Radio acted differently from original but issue not fully documented or quantified.

I have my second phone flashed with the first leaked Mobile 6 that appears to be dated in April but was leaked in late May, 2007 and most of us flashed it in early June, 2007, but it is with a family member till 3pm so someone else can fill that info. in.
    Last edited by Kevad007; 11-07-2007 at 01:35 PM.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well is this for info or can i ask some technical stuff here

I want to change the default Word/Excel viewer from Pixel Viewer to Office Mobile 6.1 since they hand everything plus able to (as of the latest rom) open Office 2007 docs!
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T\Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SHoTTa35
    well is this for info or can i ask some technical stuff here

I want to change the default Word/Excel viewer from Pixel Viewer to Office Mobile 6.1 since they hand everything plus able to (as of the latest rom) open Office 2007 docs!

ok, so are you telling me that when your in word or excel mobile, the pixel app comes up?
    I was hoping to take the load off the other thread as it really is something completely different...that and trying to make a repository that ppl can search for things tips, et cetera...

Device(s)
    HTC Fuze (Touch Pro)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Mine (with PDA ver I3) works just fine for both MS Word and Excel.
    When I select either an Excel or Word file, WM6 open either Word Mobile or Excel Mobile accordingly.
    No more opening with Picsel Viewer.

Device(s)
    motorola i1
    Carrier(s)
    boost
    Feedback Score
    I put the newest WM6 rom on my BJ, so I synced all my stuff before doing so.
    Previously, my BJ's name was Ice9s Smartphone
    After loading the OS, and changing my name back to Ice9s smartphone, I plug it into my computer to get all my contacts and it tells me that name is in use, so I either have to rename it, or use guest.
    I eventually clicked rename, so it made the profile WM_Ice9
    but I didn't get the contacts. So I did some research and saw that others with similar problems just uninstalled and reinstalled AS and they were good to go.
    I've tried that but every time I plug the BJ into the computer, it changes the name back to WM_Sales.

Anybody know how I can get the contacts that were listed under Ice9s smartphone?

Device(s)
    motorola i1
    Carrier(s)
    boost
    Feedback Score
    I can get it so it isn't renaming my device, however, it still says

"The mobile device that is currently connected has the same name as another device. To use the existing parthership for the current device, you must give the device a new, unique name. Otherwise the device will be set up as Guest."

This is getting frustrating. Uninstalled and reinstalled AS countless times and even reloaded the ROM to see if that would help.
    Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    SUMMARY OF BLACKJACK ROM VERSIONS

1. Original Blackjack Mobile 5 Version (Cingular Branded with File Dates mostly October, 2006).

Currently No ROM file available, it was/is on most Blackjacks out of the Box when new or refurbished. Has a few bugs/shortcomings such as problematic Bluetooth Stack. Most who have done no upgrading have this version:

PDA Version: i607UCFJE
    Phone Version : i607UCFJE
    (October, 2006)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. First/Only Official WM5 Minor Update So Far Provided by Samsung on March 22, 2007.

This first updated ROM provides for Minor changes only with support to fix International Roaming issue in a few countries. This is a Windows Mobile 5 ROM still, and remains available to download at Samsung Support (see link below). Very little difference from #1. above besides the international roaming fix. Some claimed changes with Radio but not confirmed. Anyone wishing to go back to Mobile 5 can obtain this file and fully re-flash all aspects of a Blackjack and the Versions will be as follows (you cannot go back to number 1 versions above at this time, but no known major reasons to do so, both are fully WM5):

PDA: i607UCGB4
    Phone: i607UCGB4
    (March 22, 2007 patch date)

http://www.samsungwireless.com/techt...607_patch.html

3. This is the first leaked early AT&T Branded beta version of Windows Mobile 6 for the Blackjack.

This version was first leaked/discovered in late May, 2007 and news of its availability posted at HOFO on June 1, 2007. It has files dated March and up to April 21, 2007 and changes branding/startup etc... to AT&T. It has several improvements that Mobile 6 offers, but had new issues not in either of the two Mobile 5 versions discussed above, such as no working Internet Sharing, Holding Keys does not produce upper character (must use Fn button instead), Scrolling in PIE and other programs is jerky/slower, many reported initial hot batteries which would go away, and many reported issues with the Red End Call button not ending calls in all situations and not always locking keys. It did not fix any of the major bugs in WM5 such as Bluetooth stack. It also put a file limit size on MP3 songs used as ringtones, but this is easily fixed by a Registry edit. This ROM performs a complete Flash of all aspects and those that applied this and nothing else have the following versions:

PDA: i607UCGD2
    Phone i607UCGD2
    (April 21, 2007)

4. The Second Leaked Windows Mobile 6 for Blackjack beta Version.

This was initially discovered on about November 1, 2007 in this post with link to download site (http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=41). It showed files dated as late as June 07, 2007 and build numbers showed work had been done, but still no Internet Sharing/Connection working, the upper characters still require Fn to display and Bluetooth still not fully working. This was a full flash ROM like numbers 2 and 3 above and those who have applied this show versions as follows:

PDA: i607UCGF1
    Phone: i607UCGF1
    (June 07, 2007)

5. The integra95gsr Mobile 6 Blackjack Phone with more recently updated Mobile 6 beta Version.

This version (making it the 3rd WM6 beta known of) was discovered when HoFo member integra95gsr posted on October 29th, 2007 (http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...9&page=1&pp=15) that he had just bought a Blackjack from an eBay raffle and it had Windows Mobile 6 on it. It turns out that version is dated September 11, 2007 and appears to have been flashed by someone at (or who knew someone) working with Microsoft and Beta Testing aspects of the efforts to provide an official WM6 upgrade for the Blackjack. So far only one known person publically has the full ROM version of this phone, and there is no FULL ROM file as there was with the 2 previous leaked versions. His phone has more progress, it is stable, upper characters do display upon holding keys, and the End Key works consistently as it did in Mobile 5 versions. It is reported that Microsoft Office Mobile, Word, Excel do properly open files made in Office 2007 without need of a Patch 6.1. Sadly, Bluetooth issues remain and NO working ICS. His phone displays as follows:

PDA: i607UCGI3
    Phone: i607UCGI3
    (September 11, 2007)

6. The first Da G PDA ROM Upgrade built from the Integra95gps Phone

This is an essentially uncooked PDA only upgrade to the Windows Mobile 6 PDA portions on the phone that integra95gps discovered had more recent beta Mobile 6 on it. It was reconstructed by Da G in an amazing effort and series of fairly difficult procedures using a dump that integragps performed on his phone and released on Sunday evening November 04, 2007 in this post with link here on HoFo (http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...postcount=1474). Those performing this update need to APP-UNLOCK their phones to relaod most applications as it was discovered the security has been raised in this version.

Blackjacks who perform this upgrade will change only their PDA version, the phone version will stay the same as it is before performing the procedure so you will correctly be showing two different versions (this is as intended/normal) and will display:

(September 11, 2007)

Phone: Any of versions listed for 1 thru 4, but not version 5 (i607UCGI3)
    (date of your phone version depending on if from 1, 2, 3 or 4 listed above)

7. The Da G cooked Alpha 1 using only the PDA portion of version i607UCGI3

This version was first made available this afternoon/evening (November 07, 2007) and has changes/improvements to the original PDA only WM6 version i607UCGI3 that are described here with link to its download loaction ( http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...postcount=1913 ).

Blackjacks that have upgraded to the Alpha Cooked 1 will still be using (regardless of any potential display change to indicate its an Alpha 1 Cooked ROM) the September 11, 2007 PDA version i607UCGI3 and the versions indicate as follows:

(September 11, 2007 with cooking by Da G on November 07, 2007)

Phone: Any of versions listed for 1 thru 4, but not version 5 (i607UCGI3)
    (date of your phone version depending on if from 1, 2, 3 or 4 listed above, the fact it will be a different version than PDA version is normal)
    Last edited by Kevad007; 11-08-2007 at 03:03 AM.

Device(s)
    BlackJack - WM6!
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevad007
    SUMMARY OF BLACKJACK ROM VERSIONS
    WOW! Well done! =-]

I wonder if it would be possible to snag all of those "published" ROMs and put them up on the site. Especially the default 2006 shipped ROM for those who want to try out the WM6 stuff and possibly go back to it and restore their backup. ;-]

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Battery Life

Still running the 9/11 ROM. Maybe I'm nuts, but is the battery life actually improved with over OEM? I went all day yesterday on the small battery, and the small battery meter still read full. The detailed meter under the Task Manager reported about 90% life! Normally I charge every night, sitting at about 60% battery life at the end of the day.

Last night I left the phone on and running as normal all night.

This morning, the battery meter is showing about 85% remaining. Is this for real? Seems significantly improved from the stock ROM! Could it be a matter of the meter not being calibrated correctly? I'm just going to keep going until the battery dies, we'll see what happens.

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T\Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dantan98
    WOW! Well done! =-]

I wonder if it would be possible to snag all of those "published" ROMs and put them up on the site. Especially the default 2006 shipped ROM for those who want to try out the WM6 stuff and possibly go back to it and restore their backup. ;-]
    except for WM5, I have them all on my site

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast