Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Closest thing to an N95-3 ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    You'd be surprised how many times you'll need just a simple keypad rather than the fun tap-and-pray method on the iPhone.
    I'm not sure what you mean ??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoundsGood123
    I'm not sure what you mean ??
    i know exactly what he means. the iphone is not exactly ideal for typing long messages without watching every word as you type it. and since there is no tactile feel it's hard to type without devoting all of your attention to the message you are typing. and you have to watch that dang auto correct feature of the iphone too. It is a good thing to have but it will sneak words in on you that you didn't intend. Really though, after you get used to the virtual keyboard it's not that bad. I use an onscreen keyboard on my Tilt more than I use the slide out one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie99
    since there is no tactile feel it's hard to type without devoting all of your attention to the message you are typing.
    But if if you do pay attention to what you're typing, wouldn't the iPhone be easier to type longer messages on?

And doesn't the N95-3 also have to be corrected occasionally, since it "guesses" at some words?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/VZW
    Feedback Score
    But if if you do pay attention to what you're typing, wouldn't the iPhone be easier to type longer messages on?

And doesn't the N95-3 also have to be corrected occasionally, since it "guesses" at some words?
    Well not for me, I got huge thumbs and pushing the tiny "buttons" I tend to make lots of errors. Yeah the N95-3, tilt, all phones have to be corrected occasionally. I just found the iPhone easier to make errors on. YMMV

I say go try one out for a while. You are kinda in the same conundrum I am. The N95-3 isn't everything you want bc it doesn't have a QWERTY, the Tilt I guess is too big and requires the PDA plan, and the iPhone doesn't have 3G which is a deal breaker for me. Plus all the other features it totally lacks. Still like i said it's hard to let go of.

I have a guy trying to trade me an N95-1 for it. Only prob with that is the -1 doesn't have 3G. I'm tempted though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie99
    I have a guy trying to trade me an N95-1 for it. Only prob with that is the -1 doesn't have 3G.
    I don't see the plus there for you. If you're gonna go to an N95, it might as well be the 3G version -- right?

Device(s)
    Don't worry about it. I've used everything.
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Having to pay that much attention to a mobile device as the iPhone does defects the purpose of a mobile phone. When those situations happened to me, I found it easier to just hop on my desktop rather than try to fire up the website on Safari from the couch. If a device like that requires that much attention, it's worth the same amount of effort to just use a laptop instead.

The only way the N95 will not type a word correctly is if YOU don't type the word correctly. Home will sometimes come out as Good, but only if you don't hit the alternate key. Learning the priority list is part of learning T9 as a whole. The iPhone differs from this because not only can you not feel any of the keys, but your thumb also covers up to 4 or 5 keys at any given time when you're typing, and the iPhone chooses which key it wants to register. The auto correct helps this on occassion, but if it doesn't do it correctly, you end up with a sentence that's much worse than anything you'd ever see on a device with a real QWERTY or T9.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBruha
    Having to pay that much attention to a mobile device as the iPhone does defects the purpose of a mobile phone. When those situations happened to me, I found it easier to just hop on my desktop rather than try to fire up the website on Safari from the couch. If a device like that requires that much attention, it's worth the same amount of effort to just use a laptop instead.
    I think this may be a case of different uses for different people.

There are plenty of times I'm away from home (meaning away from my laptop)... but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm mobile. I could be at a friends house, out to dinner, at my son's soccer game -- etc.

I don't take my laptop with me at all times... but I do take my cellphone with me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's exactly my point. Several people have said the iPhone is a terrible laptop replacement because it relies on a computer to function anyway, and the text entry is a part of that. With either the Tilt or the N95, you don't need to scramble for a computer for any given reason if you're not near one since you can do most things your computer can on either of those devices. The iPhone is the opposite. You can load it up with content temporarily, but it is designed to require that you use a computer if you want to manage anything with it.

Some examples are uploading photos, managingoi music, downloading files from any source, sending files to other people, or customizing your device. All of those things can be done on the N95 and Tilt directly whereas the iPhone requires a PC.

Text input is a part of it too. Not only can you not do those and other things on the iPhone itself, but the things you can do become more of a pain than they should be since you're stuck with only a virtual keyboard that can mess up even if you have perfect accuracy.

Don't fall into the group that changes their lifestyle and how they'd use a device just so they can get the iPhone. A lot of people have done that and regretted buying the iPhone because of it.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/VZW
    Feedback Score
    If the iPhone had 3G, I'd be done. If the N95-3 had a lower price and/or a qwerty keyboard, I'd be done.

As it stands, I'm still looking.

By the way, I went to CompUSA the other day looking for the N95-3. No luck, but they do carry the N95-1 (although their phones have no power, so you can't play with them -- just look and touch).
    I snagged an N95-3 off ebay for $560. I have to say it absolutely obliterates the iPhone. Now compared to the Tilt, jury is still out. I do love the Tilt, but the size of the N95-3 and considerable less weight of it may make me keep it and get rid of the Tilt.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    aggie99,

I am also curious about how N95-3 compares to Tilt. So you have sold your iPhone or you still keep it like your portfolio?
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"
    aggie99,

I am also curious about how N95-3 compares to Tilt. So you have sold your iPhone or you still keep it like your portfolio?
    it's sitting in my desk drawer right now. has been since Oct. 12 when I bought my Tilt. I use it from time to time for the iPod but that's it.

As far as N95-3 vs. Tilt, once i get time to play with the N95 in depth I'll be glad to do a comprehensive comparison.

Feedback Score
    How does a blackberry 8320 compare? Not as high end of a camera/multimedia, no 3g, but better suited for pda/organizer functions, e-mail, text/IM, business/professional use, documents, and running other applications?

Feedback Score
    since all you have are talking about 3g....with tmobile..there is none.

which makes the point of having the n95-3 useless over the n95-1? correct?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No. n95-3 has more ram and better battery.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    With the newest firmware update available for the N95-1, the differences are slimming between the two variants if you won't be using 3G. Users have reported the N95-1 has 30mb of RAM on boot with faster startup times for various applications and menus and demand paging seems to help battery life a bit. Almost makes me wish I didn't sell mine for the -3 since I'm still on T-Mobile as well. Almost.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast