Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Properly porting number from sprint to Sero

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score

Properly porting number from sprint to Sero

My contract is about to end on 2nd of November. I would like to be able to port my number from sprint to Sero.

I know the usual trick is to port it to a pre-paid phone, then port it back to Sero. My office mate just ported his number from T-Mobile pre-paid to Sero and they told him that they do not port numbers from pre-paid. He had to use his old regular T-Mobile account number to be able to get his number ported over.

Does this pre-paid porting trick still work?

Is it safer to sign up for a T-Mobile 2 year contract and then port my number back out before the 2 week period ends back to Sero?

What would be the proper sequence of events.
    Option 1.
    -Port my number to T-mobile
    -Sign up for Sero and request to have the T-mobile number ported back to Sero

Option 2:
    -Port my number to TMobile, then later request sero to change my phone number to the one ported from T-Mobile.

The reason Option 2 would be better for me, is because it would result in the least lost phone talking time, since I would sign up for Sero first. When I get the new phone, then I get to them to port it over after.
    Is this possible? I want to go with the safest option that will result in the least issues.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION:
    I briefly read somewhere that Sero does not work with BlackBerry, or you have to pay more money or something like that. Is this true?

Which pda phones are NOT eligible for Sero?
    Palm Centro (my phone)

LG 570 Muziq

Device(s)
    Sprint Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I used ATT and cost me a few bucks. My sister used Verizon as they had no activation fee. You may go through hassle getting all credits back. I didn;t trust the prepaid phone thing. I was willing to risk more money to assure I didn't lose control over the #.

You have to pay more for Blackberry. I think it's because they have a propriatary email system. PITA. Still cheaper than standard Sprint pricing.

Sign up for a fresh SERO account with new number and phone in hand and activated before you do anything.

Then port old number to another provider. Wait a day or two and port it back to SERO.

I think GSM phones are easier because you can return the phone without returning your phone #. You keep the GSM card which is your phone number. When you port out account is closed and you have already returned the phone.

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.This was exactly that answer I was looking for.

My contract is up on November 4th. Should I go ahead an sign up for a SERO account now so that they have time to mail the phone to me? or should I just wait until the new phones come out? I think I want to get the Palm Centro. Do you think the price might go up after the 4th? Or do you think I should gamble and see if the price goes down?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mswlogo
    I used ATT and cost me a few bucks. My sister used Verizon as they had no activation fee. You may go......
    Is there any problem using a Virgin mobile phone to do this since I think they use the same network as Sprint? I have an old Virgin Mobile phone laying around and am now out of contract and want to get a Touch on SERO program keeping my existing Sprint number. Thanks much.

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Anyone? Wait for Nov 4th or get the Centro from now in case price goes up?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    When the Moto Q first came out, it was $100 and now it has jumped up to $150. Do you think the same might happen to the Centro?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    okay, I have ported my number to verizon. How long should I wait before porting it back to sero?

Device(s)
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I'm really trying to get a grasp on my options here. I read the FAQ that's provided on this forum and it says that Nextel customers can port their number over with these a few simple steps.

I have the ic502 with the PowerSource Plan (obviously) and wanted to make sure that its still considered Nextel. If it is, does this mean that I can port my number over like those steps say I can?
    I buy phones for no reason.

Device(s)
    Sanyo-8100 (KEWL)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    not a clue.. but can you keep us updated please on how the process is working for you..

how did you port your number to verizon??

and can anybody actually tell us if that is true that you can't port to pre-paid??
    booo

Device(s)
    Nextel i870
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    yea this is the same problem i am having...please let us know how you ported?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arbntmare
    not a clue.. but can you keep us updated please on how the process is working for you..

how did you port your number to verizon??
    Well, I just called up verizon's sales number and signed a contract with them. Verizon gives 30 days to cancel. My new phone should be arriving today. They say it takes a maximum of 2 hours to be ported after activating the new phone. Verizon the best carrier to port to as far as I see. They give 30 days. Tmobile only gives 15 days. AT&T does not refund your deposit. Verizon is the only one who gives back all. I got the free phone, because I called the national number.

Initally, when I was trying to port my number, I went to all the carriers but none of them could port my number. I later found out that it is because I have a out of state number. They can only port numbers from the same area code which they are in. I had to call the national number where they can port all numbers. I should be getting the new phone today, so hopefully it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by arbntmare
    and can anybody actually tell us if that is true that you can't port to pre-paid??

As far as the pre-paid porting, my office mate was trying hard to get his number ported from pre-paid and they told him that sprint does not port from pre-paid. Luckily, he still had his old tmobile account number, so they ported it over using that. You know how sprint employees tell you different things depending on which one of them you happen to call though, so I can not tell you for sure.

I am still trying to figure out how long I should wait before porting back to Sero.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I originally had T-Mobile prepay then I ported my number to Amp'd. After Amp'd went under I ported my number back to T-Mobile prepay, I still had my old phone so all I had to do was purchase a $10 sim card to set up an new account. Then I ported from T-Mobile to Sprint Sero. I signed up first, Sprint gave me a new number, then after a week of testing the network I decided to keep it and I ported my original number from T-Mobile to my new Sprint phone.

Edit:

I just read this over on sprintusers.com from user "sprintornosprin " on a related topic

"Hey, the best thing I would advise you to do is get a new sero number and plan and add it as an additional line to your no longer under contract account. After you have decided that you like your phone and the plan cancel the OOC line and tell them you want to reserve the number when you cancel. When you tell them to reserve the number they save it in the system so no one else can get it. It takes about 4 hours or so for it in the system. After the 4 hours or so you would call them back and they can transfer that old number to your new line. No need to get a pre paid cell phone and do it that way. I did it this way and it works!"
    Last edited by fastzipperus; 11-07-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Device(s)
    nextel i860
    Carrier(s)
    nextel
    Feedback Score
    i hope your right fastzipperus, i'm going to try this since i still have my nextel and i just got my touch on my new sero plan. i gotta see if i like the sprint service and the touch enough to do it. i'll post when i find out.

Device(s)
    Samsung Moment
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zelev2174
    I'm really trying to get a grasp on my options here. I read the FAQ that's provided on this forum and it says that Nextel customers can port their number over with these a few simple steps.

I have the ic502 with the PowerSource Plan (obviously) and wanted to make sure that its still considered Nextel. If it is, does this mean that I can port my number over like those steps say I can?
    can anyone help me out with this?

Device(s)
    Palm Centro
    Carrier(s)
    sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zelev2174
    can anyone help me out with this?
    I am not sure of what to tell you with this, but I can suggest that you call up the SERO order number, and tell them that you are interested in SERO, but you would like to know if your number is Nextel, and if it allowed to be ported over to SERO. If the person tells you yes, then you have the right person to help you.. If they tell you No, I would say to try about 2-3 more times. I had to try 5 times before they added Sero line as a 3rd line to my account. They did not want to add it because I had a 'regular' sprint phone as one of those lines, and they wanted to give me a brand new account. Sprint requires persistence to get what you want. When you get it, you can be happy though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast