Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Argentina

I can confirm the following:
    Telefonica Unifon (GSM 1900)
    Telecom Personal (GSM 1900)
    CTI Movil (CDMA 800 + AMPS)
    Nextel Argentina (iDen 800)

Bellsouth Movicom runs a CDMA network and possibly AMPS, Telecom runs a TDMA network under another name and it might be possible that everyone but Nextel used to run TDMA and those still might be in place.

Feedback Score
    Re: Argentina

In Argentina there's also a GSM 900MHz provider (that's right, 900 not 1900):

Port-Hable, GSM 900 MHz (handset code 72235)

Now, Port-Hable seems to operate in the greater Buenos Aires area only. It's a very "secretive" operator (hasn't even got a website) and any info or news about it are very scarse even in the Argentine press.

I do know however that it belongs to the Hutchison Whampoa group and that Hutchison has another Port-Hable operation in Paraguay but that's at 1900MHz instead of 900.

About the Brazilian providers list, I have a couple of updates:

1. I forgot to mention NEXTEL Brasil which operates iDen 800.

2. As I've mentioned before TDMA providers ATL, Tess, Claro, Americel and more recently BCP (except in São Paulo) have merged.

Their new name was announced this monday, 18 August: in a few months they'll all operate under the Claro name and will switch to GSM at 1800MHz.

BTW it has just occurred to me that it'd be nice if we provided handset codes for the operators we list here (maybe as reference for those people trading phones and unlocking them?).

Cheers,
    Last edited by Livino; 08-19-2003 at 07:52 PM.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    Well they arent even listed on the GSM world site... Silly me, since I thought they only had 1900 coverage I left my phone on 1900mhz, should have put it in automatic....

Feedback Score
    Yes, they're a very well hidden secret, but the network is definitely live.

From what I read in the Argentine news media, Hutchison/Port-Hable are keeping a very low profile with minimal advertising, no web services and, what's really critical for a Brazilian GSM user like me, hardly any roaming agreements.

Here are a couple of websites where Port-Hable is listed:

GSM World (gsm.org) :
    http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/net_arcd.shtml

Hutchison Whampoa corporate website:
    http://www.hutchison-whampoa.com/eng...telecoms3b.htm

Unfortunately the information on gsm.org is very incomplete and doesn't mention roaming agreements.

I do know however that Brazil's Oi won't roam in Argentina at 900Mhz and if you're Brazilian you have to either switch phones or use a tri-band when visiting our neighbour. Most operators worldwide seem to have roaming agreements in place with Telecom Personal, but be warned that Personal is primarily a TDMA IS-136 provider and as such its GSM1900 service is restricted to the city of Buenos Aires and a few suburbs.

When roaming in South America the best option for North American travellers (and in some cases even Europeans or Asians) is to bring/get a CDMA or TDMA phone. The only countries that have some significant GSM coverage are Brazil and Chile at the moment (AFAIK).

Will keep you posted. Hope this helps,

Feedback Score
    As a side note, part of the 1900Mhz (1880-1900) band in Europe/Asia is used for cordless (DECT) phones, which is ironic since the 900 band is used for cordless phones in North America

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    anybody know what frequency japan is using? all of their nation-wide carriers offer global roaming agreements with the US (ie: http://www.au.kddi.com/english/globa...a/america.html) however i have no idea what US carriers they roam off when they are here or if the phones that are capable of this use mulitple frequencies (i would assume that they do, and that they switch to a US compatable one) and all of this would naturally lead me to believe/hope hope hope that i can get one of these COOL AS ALL H3LL japanese keitai and activate it here in seattle with verizon or something. arigatou!

Device(s)
    Motorola A835, SE T610 (R6B021 Hong Kong), P800 HK R2F, Innostream 90, Sony Ericsson GC82 EDGE PC Ca
    Carrier(s)
    Fido,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jerksmile
    anybody know what frequency japan is using? all of their nation-wide carriers offer global roaming agreements with the US (ie: http://www.au.kddi.com/english/globa...a/america.html) however i have no idea what US carriers they roam off when they are here or if the phones that are capable of this use mulitple frequencies (i would assume that they do, and that they switch to a US compatable one) and all of this would naturally lead me to believe/hope hope hope that i can get one of these COOL AS ALL H3LL japanese keitai and activate it here in seattle with verizon or something. arigatou!
    "au" uses CDMA, they run off 840mhz I believe, I believe they would work off Verizon, but there's another theory that they uses a different ESN system thus Verizon's system cannot recoignize the phone as one of their own

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    i was worried about that as well however i spoke with my friend who works at a verizon direct store and he says that they are able to activate any cdma phone that uses the same frequency/bandwidth as verizon... this can't possibly be as easy as it's sounding though... has anybody tried this before??

Device(s)
    Motorola A835, SE T610 (R6B021 Hong Kong), P800 HK R2F, Innostream 90, Sony Ericsson GC82 EDGE PC Ca
    Carrier(s)
    Fido,
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by jerksmile
    i was worried about that as well however i spoke with my friend who works at a verizon direct store and he says that they are able to activate any cdma phone that uses the same frequency/bandwidth as verizon... this can't possibly be as easy as it's sounding though... has anybody tried this before??
    You can activate Telus, Bell, and Sprint phone without problem, but when it come to Japanese and Korean phone, that's different

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    right, i've tried to activate previous japanese cell phones with various us cdma carriers, however never one of these "global ready" ones... i was trying to get more info on it, and it says that to use it here, you have to first switch the mode to "13k Qcelp" instead of EVRC in order for it to work. i'm still not sure though how that makes it possible for the keitai to use a US frequency; i thought that was just how the cdma systems dealt with distortion... i wish i understood wireless technologies a bit more in-depth. my plan is to get one of these global japanese phones and use it as a prepaid phone while i'm there anyway.. so i suppose i will find out if this all will work sooner or later, when i come back... thank you for your help aquarius!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Edge
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, 3(IRL), O2(D), 中国联通
    Feedback Score
    EVRC and 13K are two vocoders that CDMA uses. EVRC is the newer of the two. EVRC incorporates background noise reduction.

Verizon uses both, and I have switched back and forth with my phone. Perhaps KDDI only uses 13K.

The FOMA and J-Phone wCDMA systems operate on 2,100 MHz.
    Bugwart

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    thank you for clarification! ... i plan on purchasing one of these phones and testing it out here in the states. pm me late sept. if anyone wants to know if it works.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by SpiralVortex
    Biffs you forgot
    AMPS 800 for Rogers At&t
    and
    IDEN 800 and CDMA (Don't Know Frequency) for TelUs
    Canada's Freq is:

Rogers Att 800mhz Amps (Dont Know Tdma Freq) 1900Mhz Gsm???
    Telus 800Mhz Amps Cdma 800/1900
    Fido 1900Mhz Gsm
    Bell 800Mhz Amps Cdma 800/1900!

If im wrong please correct me!
    Current Phone: Blackberry Bold 2: 9700 Bell Mobility..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ePhonite
    There is no GSM service in Honduras and Guatemala.
    Is this still true? I'm going to be travelling to Guatemala City in the near future, and am trying to figure out what phone/SIM I can buy in the US that will allow me to have coverage from the moment I step off the plane.

Any suggestions?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Japan

Vodafone and NTT DoCoMo both have W-CDMA 2100 MHz, not sure about the other stuff they have

UK

Vodafone - GSM 900/1900MHz, W-CDMA 2100MHz
    O2 UK - GSM 900/1800, W-CDMA 2100MHz
    Orange UK - GSM 1800, W-CDMA 2100MHz
    T-Mobile UK - GSM 1800, W-CDMA 2100MHz
    Virgin Mobile UK - GSM 1800 (uses T-Mobile UK network and towers)
    3 - W-CDMA 2100MHz + roaming on O2's GSM.

Belgium

Base - GSM 900MHz
    Proximus - GSM 900/1800, W-CDMA 2100MHz
    Mobistar - GSM 900/1800, W-CDMA 2100MHz

France

Bouygues - GSM 900/1800MHz
    Orange - GSM 900/1800MHz
    SFR - GSM 900MHz, W-CDMA 2100MHz

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast