Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS and Mapping Guide for Beginners

Device(s)
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    guys after reading every post in this thread, im trying to understand this whole GPS thing... Anyways i got a question how long does it take for your GPS to start working on Nokia Maps, really mine takes a while to start you know for those 3 little dots to turn green.. for the gps to work..... how long..
    T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪ Apple iPhone 8gb 1.1.4

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmhijazi
    guys after reading every post in this thread, im trying to understand this whole GPS thing... Anyways i got a question how long does it take for your GPS to start working on Nokia Maps, really mine takes a while to start you know for those 3 little dots to turn green.. for the gps to work..... how long..
    That really depends. The main part of the thread which talks about the TTFF should give you an idea. It is a generalization, but I would say on average, after turning the phone on, having not used GPS at all prior, and then started any of my map applications while in the car outside, it takes about 60 seconds. If you've used your GPS earlier in the day, then it should only maybe 20-40 seconds for the GPS to get a fix. There will be times when I sit in my car, and it will take 2 to 2.5 minutes at most to get a fix, but thats usually when its pretty cloudy outside, or snowing. I don't use A-GPS with my phone, since I didn't really see any noticeable increase in speed for a fix. Everyone's mileage will vary.
    Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    interesting that was my next question should i turn off a-gps, from what i understand it works off the network, but does its require a data plan i don't got one, i got the 6.99 t-mobile web.

Device(s)
    Iphone 5 iphone 4s Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macuis
    That really depends. The main part of the thread which talks about the TTFF should give you an idea. It is a generalization, but I would say on average, after turning the phone on, having not used GPS at all prior, and then started any of my map applications while in the car outside, it takes about 60 seconds. If you've used your GPS earlier in the day, then it should only maybe 20-40 seconds for the GPS to get a fix. There will be times when I sit in my car, and it will take 2 to 2.5 minutes at most to get a fix, but thats usually when its pretty cloudy outside, or snowing. I don't use A-GPS with my phone, since I didn't really see any noticeable increase in speed for a fix. Everyone's mileage will vary.

if you use a-gps it will be alot faster to get a fix 10 to 15 seconds for me,plus you will get a fix even in your house. A lot of people in canada are scared to use agps because of data charge..it will not use more then 6 to 7 k/b each time you open gmxt.

Device(s)
    E71
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Garmin

For those of you that use Garmin Mobile, when I start a navigation, for some reason it shows the expected arrival in the 24 hour format. Is there any way that I can get the time to be set in the standard 12 hour format? thanks alot...

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdalchy
    For those of you that use Garmin Mobile, when I start a navigation, for some reason it shows the expected arrival in the 24 hour format. Is there any way that I can get the time to be set in the standard 12 hour format? thanks alot...
    I don't believe there is a way to change it, I've looked though all of the settings and couldn't find anything related to time.

Device(s)
    E71
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I don't believe there is a way to change it, I've looked though all of the settings and couldn't find anything related to time.
    Wow, now that is weird. Something I will just have to get used to I guess. Not that I really pay attention to when it thinks I will get there.

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdalchy
    Wow, now that is weird. Something I will just have to get used to I guess. Not that I really pay attention to when it thinks I will get there.

It is pretty lame that they don't provide the option (or at least match the clock format of your phone), but I have gotten use to it since its not hard to convert. Its pretty accurate with the time of arrival though.

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM, Globe PH, Smart PH
    Feedback Score
    It is pretty lame that they don't provide the option (or at least match the clock format of your phone), but I have gotten use to it since its not hard to convert. Its pretty accurate with the time of arrival though.
    This is because that version you are using is the Twainese version not the Multilanguage one. The new Multilanguage version will read it in 12 hour format and will also use dollars instead of yen in displaying gas/hotel prices.

Device(s)
    N95-4
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM, Globe PH, Smart PH
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm...ok I may have spoken prematurely. I was sure when I was testing .60 the other day that it was 12hour mode, but after using it today I can't get it to display 12hour arrival time, strange. But at least the currency is in dollars now.

Feedback Score
    Hi to all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can direct me to a site or just some background information regarding on getting TOMTOM on my N82...

Preferr free downloadable/.... thanks

Feedback Score
    Ok this might be an amateur question.. but I was wondering, Where can I download google maps for say Toronto city, so that I can avoid paying data charges?

Everytime I search it, it just directs me to the google maps application. !!

Feedback Score
    google maps is a online only. you cannot download maps for it. read the thread you will see that!

Device(s)
    n8
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm using amAze, but when I'm using it I don't hear the voice navigation. And the volume isnt off either. Anyone have any ideas?

Device(s)
    Dell Venue Pro!
    Carrier(s)
    T - Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok, I really need someone to help me w/ this one...
    I'll make a new thread if I have to.....

Ok First of all I'm useing T-Mobile USA, I don't have Data Plan and NOT planning on getting one

Now For the GPS, I have The Nokia N82
    All I want is Voice Guidance which tells me when to Turn, "w/o the use of Data"
    I don't Need anything else.

"what GPS Maps/Apps That has Voice Guidance that you guys recomen"

Please list Top 3 if you can.....
    Remember "w/o the use of Data" for Voice Guidance

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast