Thread: Nokia 6280 and 3

Feedback Score

Nokia 6280 and 3

Hello everyone,

Just want to share my experiences of a Nokia 6280 and the mobile telecoms provider 3.

I went on a contract with 3 in April of 2007. Everything was great for about a couple of months until one day I got a phonecall of a friend. Oddly enough, my ringtone was playing really fast - like it was on fast forward or something. I thought it was odd and after the phonecall I assumed it was a one off glitch. Anyway, over the next couple of days I found the following:-

1) Battery would no longer hold a full charge for more than 5 hours or so.
    2) Playing back video would result in the phone crashing and restarting itself.
    3) Recording video or taking a picture gave me a "camera on standby" message.

So, I went to my local 3 shop in Solihull of Birmingham, England. They took the phone and a week later I went back to check up on the progress of things. They handed me a letter from their repair centre which said that the phone had been damaged and not covered under their warranty. To get it fixed I would need to cough up £30. Needless to say I wasn't falling for it because I always take care of my possessions and I knew the phone had not been dropped as they were suggesting.

Please take a look at the letter that 3 had issued to me:-

Front Page of Letter

Here they have a picture on the left hand side apparently showing the "damage" to the inside of the phone. I was bemused by this because I couldn't even see what they were referring to.

The picture is blown up again here:-

Close Up Of Phone

Still nothing!

Anyway, I wrote an email of complaint to 3's head office and got a phonecall from them the next day. The caller mentioned that the problem is down to the "little square" just above the battery connectors. I pointed out to her that she was actually referring to the flash of the camera. Besides, it was another 20 minutes of having to defend myself against the implied accusation that the phone was damaged and listening to the broken record of either paying £30 to get it fixed or to just take it as it is.

In the end I threatened to cancel my Direct Debit, which certainly shook her up a bit, but still there was no budging on her behalf.

That was about two months ago. I have to literally have the phone charging twice a day now and dare not mess about with the camera or video functions. At least it still rings and I can text and make calls on it. Though, the thought of it breaking down completely with the rest of the contract to pay off frightens me.

So, there you go. My experience of 3's customer service. You, the customer, are wrong.

Thank you for reading!

Feedback Score
    Wow that's ridicuous.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sulligogs
    Hello everyone,

Just want to share my experiences of a Nokia 6280 and the mobile telecoms provider 3.

I went on a contract with 3 in April of 2007. Everything was great for about a couple of months until one day I got a phonecall of a friend. Oddly enough, my ringtone was playing really fast - like it was on fast forward or something. I thought it was odd and after the phonecall I assumed it was a one off glitch. Anyway, over the next couple of days I found the following:-

1) Battery would no longer hold a full charge for more than 5 hours or so.
    2) Playing back video would result in the phone crashing and restarting itself.
    3) Recording video or taking a picture gave me a "camera on standby" message.

So, I went to my local 3 shop in Solihull of Birmingham, England. They took the phone and a week later I went back to check up on the progress of things. They handed me a letter from their repair centre which said that the phone had been damaged and not covered under their warranty. To get it fixed I would need to cough up £30. Needless to say I wasn't falling for it because I always take care of my possessions and I knew the phone had not been dropped as they were suggesting.

Please take a look at the letter that 3 had issued to me:-

Front Page of Letter

Here they have a picture on the left hand side apparently showing the "damage" to the inside of the phone. I was bemused by this because I couldn't even see what they were referring to.

The picture is blown up again here:-

Close Up Of Phone

Still nothing!

Anyway, I wrote an email of complaint to 3's head office and got a phonecall from them the next day. The caller mentioned that the problem is down to the "little square" just above the battery connectors. I pointed out to her that she was actually referring to the flash of the camera. Besides, it was another 20 minutes of having to defend myself against the implied accusation that the phone was damaged and listening to the broken record of either paying £30 to get it fixed or to just take it as it is.

In the end I threatened to cancel my Direct Debit, which certainly shook her up a bit, but still there was no budging on her behalf.

That was about two months ago. I have to literally have the phone charging twice a day now and dare not mess about with the camera or video functions. At least it still rings and I can text and make calls on it. Though, the thought of it breaking down completely with the rest of the contract to pay off frightens me.

So, there you go. My experience of 3's customer service. You, the customer, are wrong.

Thank you for reading!
    Hi,

If you are still having problems with 3, I would suggest that you write a formal complain to 3 :

3 Customer services
    Hutchison 3G UK Ltd
    PO Box 333
    Glasgow
    G2 9AG3

Besides that, get to the 3 website and leave a formal complain in the query/feedback section. I am sure that after doing that, they will do something to help you. I am sure that they have many problems relating to the model which you are using and the particular handset is unlike any other handset. You will lose the sliding mechanism in time and the software will crash. Well, it is uncommon to think that the phone is faulty! What they are arguing is that perhaps you might have tempered with the phone which would void the manufacturer's warranty. You would have to write in a formal complain letter to them. Try it.

Feedback Score
    cheers mavericke

Well, now to add insult to injury I've found that my latest bill is being charged at twice the normal amount. It was meant to be "half-price line rental for 18 months" at £17.50 per month, but even after an email to 3 regarding why they were now charging me full line rental after only 7 months all they could do was send me an automated reply. You know, the kind where they dig out a template letter and hope it covers the problem.

For all the advertisements and whatnots I can say that they are crooks eager to edge their dominance on the mobile phone market. Without regard for what their customers' are actually going through.

Shame on them, all I can say. Hope they sleep well at night.

Sulligogs

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sulligogs
    cheers mavericke

Well, now to add insult to injury I've found that my latest bill is being charged at twice the normal amount. It was meant to be "half-price line rental for 18 months" at £17.50 per month, but even after an email to 3 regarding why they were now charging me full line rental after only 7 months all they could do was send me an automated reply. You know, the kind where they dig out a template letter and hope it covers the problem.

For all the advertisements and whatnots I can say that they are crooks eager to edge their dominance on the mobile phone market. Without regard for what their customers' are actually going through.

Shame on them, all I can say. Hope they sleep well at night.

Sulligogs
    No problem. I just want to inform you that you have to be aware that sometimes the customer service advisor does not know everything. They are basically based in India. No offence but you really need to speak clearly to them. Otherwise they might not be able to help. Good thing is that their customer service is 24 hours.

Feedback Score
    Hello everyone,

Since my last past several months ago the situation has gone from bad to wose. I just started a new thread over at because I want as many people to see how much I have been messed around.

I plan to spread this onto other forums as well.

Since that last bill where I got charged at full price line rental this is what has happened from that time:-

In the month of November 2007, I checked my next bill and found that 3 were going to charge me not £17.50 as set out in the contract, but £35 - the price of full line rental. I sent them an email only to receive a circular response that answered nothing of my query. So, I sent them another email this time clarifying in all certainty the question of why I was going to be billed more. I got a phonecall from them a few days later.

Essentially, the reason I had been charged £35 was because, 3 "could not apply the credit". I was confused by this, but that turned to surprise when they next said that they would credit my mobile account with £210. I was gobsmacked, but I definitely remember asking if anything would change on my contract. The answer, I remember clearly, was a "no". I actually thought that through all the problems I had had with my phone and the fact that I advised them weeks earlier I had posted my experiences with 3 on howardsforum.com was perhaps their way of keeping me quiet. Why else give me £210 of mobile credit?

Christmas time came and lo and behold on my bill was £35 deducted from that £210 credit that 3 had given me. A friend who knew the troubles I was going through bought me a new mobile phone as a gift, that was compatible with 3, so I started using it straight away with my contract SIM card. I then cancelled my Direct Debit in the event of being overcharged again.

May of 2008 and I got a phonecall from 3 stating that I owed them £35 for that month. I explained that I only signed to pay £17.50 per month. The guy on the phone then said that as I had not paid anything for the past few months that I would have to pay £35 now each month to make up the payments. I was furious as I wasn't told anything of this and it was confirmed in that previous phone call that my contract would not change.

I countered by stating that although no monies had been paid from by back account that they had actually taken credit from my 3 account, in the sense that if someone gives you something then that something becomes yours. I believe that phone call lasted about an hour.

Anyway, several phone calls go by over the next few weeks and bills begin to mount. On a later conversation with them I asked if I could just pay the normal £17.50 per month. The 3 operator said that I couldn't. So, I asked if I could pay £17.50 per month by Debit Card instead. Ah ha! The 3 operator said that I could! Well, this was so simple! If the problem was that their system can't be reversed to accept half-price line rental payments then paying this way was a solution. She definitely said that I could pay monthly this way at that amount. So, I paid £30 over the phone by Debit Card to cover the existing bill.

Until then when this whole fiasco started, I had hardly used my contract phone. I was serious about getting rid of 3 and wanted to show this. After that last phone call, thinking I was in the clear, I began using it as normal again.

A week later and just to check that all was well I gave 3 another call. This time another operator explained that I couldn't pay like this! I had to pay £35 each month no matter what! I can't tell you how upset and tired I had become of the entire situation, as I'm sure you, the reader has. I finished that call by saying that I wasn't going to pay a penny more and that I would discontinue using the contract phone.

And then yesterday came along.

I got a letter from Advanced Telecoms Debt Collection Services Limited based in Glasgow. I would have to pay such and such amount. I gave them a call and we discussed my situation to 3's. I was advised that I could end up paying hundreds of pounds back. Nonetheless, I'm maintaining my stance and would rather see them in court if it comes to it.

Having read through the terms and conditions 3 have to give me 14 days notice before any change of payments are required. They did not do this. How are they able to make and bend the rules as they go along beats me.

During the last few weeks I have contacted Trading Standards twice by email. To date I am still awaiting for some kind of response and will chase them up this week.

Hope I haven't bored anyone yet!

Sulligogs