Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Plantronics Voyager 855

Device(s)
    LG VX-8350, Motorola S9-HD BT Stereo Headset
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have been using the S9s for months with an LG 8300. Great for listening to music, nice loud volume.. controls still work perfectly (an issue for many early adopters). My only complaint is that they're crap for making or taking calls since the mic is on the outside of the earpiece, perpendicular to one's face. they're usable if you just need to exchange a few sentences but nothing beyond that. And forget voice-dialing.

Which is why I sought out a headset with a boom mic and, after skimming opinions here, decided to try the 855. I charged it up full.. voice-dialing worked on the first try, had a lengthy catchup with my sister, quality in both directions was transparent.. just like a cordless phone. Listened to some music while working in the garage.. max volume was way lower than the s9, but adequate due to the in-canal design, since the sound-isolation gives the music less to compete with. sound quality was ok.. not on par with the s9 basswise.. but a good enough compromise since it is completely usable as a telecommunications device.
    Fit was fine for me OOB. I didn't have lanyard issues, simply pulled out the second earpiece when I needed to hear someone and draped it over my shoulder while playback continued in the headset ear.

Now for the complaints that might break the deal..

When listening to music, I change tracks far more often than I change volume. Having to hold down the volume rocker for 2-3 secs to change tracks is a real drag! It should either be reversable or reversed. During music playback the rocker should change tracks by default and change volume by holding the rocker down. Heck, skipping 2 tracks takes 6 secs. Hardly "hands free"

Now for my biggest problem. In fact, I came here to see if anyone else was having it:
    The first second or so of every track is cut off. In every case: Continuous play, shuffle or simply using the phone to select a specific song. I've tried removing the headset from my phone and re-pairing, to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to find the headset locally to do a swapout and see if I have better luck. Although, if there is indeed going to be a firmware revision, perhaps I should just return it to costcentral.
    I really did want to love the 855. I wanted the mono/stereo playback option and a headset I could have conversations with.
    I am long-winded

Device(s)
    SE k850i, Blue, 6gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganNY
    Now for my biggest problem. In fact, I came here to see if anyone else was having it:
    The first second or so of every track is cut off. In every case: Continuous play, shuffle or simply using the phone to select a specific song. I've tried removing the headset from my phone and re-pairing, to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I purchased mine from a Best Buy last month. It has a build date of Oct07 on the sticker on the bottom of the box. I do not have this particular problem but I am looking forward to BB getting new stock so I can see if newer builds have some other fixes that I'm waiting for.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angelm713
    I purchased mine from a Best Buy last month. It has a build date of Oct07 on the sticker on the bottom of the box.
    Oddly enough, the date on my unit is Dec 07. I just picked up another at BB same as yours, Oct 07. at least I can see if the model might be a keeper then wait for revisions. The microUSB interface will permit a downloadable firmware update if the dummies thought to take advantage of it. we'll see.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 7290
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Firmware

The problems you are having, are they on WM6 phones or something else? I am trying to see if there is a common thread here. Maybe it is the OS and not the ear piece.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by angelm713
    I purchased mine from a Best Buy last month. It has a build date of Oct07 on the sticker on the bottom of the box. I do not have this particular problem but I am looking forward to BB getting new stock so I can see if newer builds have some other fixes that I'm waiting for.
    Just looked at the bottom of my box, also October 2007. Those were probably the first batch.

Does anyone know for sure, whether there have been improvements in later batches?

I bought mine at BB in November, and I heard they have a special Xmas return policy for items purchased in November and December, can be returned until January 31. Does anyone know for sure if this applies to BT headsets?

I thought of doing this to save a few bucks, as I see that headset listed at other online retailers now for as low as $65. (I paid $93+sales tax=over $100) (actually their regular price was $129.95, but I got them to match the price on the Best Buy for Business web site). But it can be bought cheaper now, at other retailers.

I don't know if I'd bother waiting in the return line at Best Buy (probably long in January) to save a few bucks, and I'd probably feel guilty about that too, having used the headset for over a month. However---if the units being sold today are better than the one I bought, then I might do that, to get a better one as well as save money.

So---are the latest ones marked December on the box? Are they definitely improved, over the October batch?

(Yes, it sux that Plantronics does not offer firmware upgrades for this model, as does the other convertible headset, the Jabra 8010.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well, I contacted Plantronics.. they blamed my phone, my firmware, my bluetooth support.. simple fact is: the headset just does not seem compatible with my phone (LG VX8300). The Motorola S9 doesn't have any of the issues I've been dealing with.. every song has the first second cut off and I can't answer incoming calls. I'm listening to music, the phone rings.. I open the boom, say 'hello' several times, hear no reply, try the call button.. after 2-3 such incidents, I get told by my wife or daughter 'your new headset really sucks' since calling someone and them seeming to answer but not hearing you or you hearing them is rather exasperating. I tried one dated Oct 07, and one Dec07.. same issues. I'm returning them both. The search continues.. mixed reviews about the 8010 but it's probably my next attempt.

Feedback Score
    Have any one try to exchange the unit under the warranty? I am trying to fix the connection with T-mobile Dash, but I ma not sure if the new unit would fix the issue.

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I had a couple of Stereo Bluetooth Headsets.

First, I had the Nextlink Spider. It had surprisingly good audio quality, however the mic was terrible and there was little to no battery life.

The I had the Moto S9's. Way better sound quality than the Spider, and better battery life and OEM quality but terrible for calls.

Then I broke those and got a factory second Moto HT820. S9's were louder, and I felt there was a difference in BT audio quality in the HT820's BT v1.2 vs. S9's BT v2.0.

I picked up the Plantronics 855 headset yesterday. I have to say, it is the best of all the headsets I've tried. Call quality is miles above the S9, while having good if not better stereo sound vs. the S9. Battery life was as good as the Moto's.

Device(s)
    Tilt 1
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Got mine today. So far it's been great. Audio sounds really good. Way better than my moto h700. First A2DP headset.
    |< | /\/\ ( ) Cal

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless-Canadas Best GSM Network-
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegeas
    The problems you are having, are they on WM6 phones or something else? I am trying to see if there is a common thread here. Maybe it is the OS and not the ear piece.
    It would seem this is the case, I sometimes experience the same problem with my Touch. Other then that, the headset works fine... However... I will be exchanging it within the hour lol The problem is I no longer get anywhere near the claimed 6hrs listening time, it started off at maybe around 4 to 5 hours, but is now down to approx three hours. I timed it twice in two days, and this is totally unacceptable imo. I am assuming the battery is on its way to being pooched.
    Have any of you that have had it for awhile noticed a decline in battery life as well, or am I just lucky enough to have picked up a defective unit?
    I will also check to be sure I can get the latest release they have available, the date on the box I have now is Nov, 07.
    I really like this headset, so I am hoping it is just a messed up battery.

Moderator-->SlowFo!!<-- SlowFo-->A Product of HoFo for Farsiders by Farsiders!
    Administrator-->Vxxx Stuff<-- Free Walls, Tones, 3GPs and Info!
    My wee bit of feedback
    Come Visit The Farside!

Device(s)
    LG Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Problem with 855, I've posted this problem already and talked to verizon and plantronics about this. The 855 works great and does everything it says it can except for vcast videos. When I try and watch a vcast video the sound doesn't work, no sound from the 855. It does however work with vcast music, movies and muisc from a SDcard and as a regular headset, it's just vcast videos that don't work. also i found out is that you can't use it when you watch a video you recorded from the phone, no sound/not supported. very weird that it would not work "completely". just a heads up.

Device(s)
    SE k850i, Blue, 6gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Are the Vcast videos with AMR sound files?

For some odd reason, the 855's won't play through AMR files on my Sony Ericsson k850i.

My Motorola's S9's do.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless-Canadas Best GSM Network-
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DVS DEA
    Problem with 855, I've posted this problem already and talked to verizon and plantronics about this. The 855 works great and does everything it says it can except for vcast videos. When I try and watch a vcast video the sound doesn't work, no sound from the 855. It does however work with vcast music, movies and muisc from a SDcard and as a regular headset, it's just vcast videos that don't work. also i found out is that you can't use it when you watch a video you recorded from the phone, no sound/not supported. very weird that it would not work "completely". just a heads up.
    What cell are you using? Or is this with all cellphones do you think?
    I haven't had an issue where a file wouldn't play through the headset, but I have tried a couple 3rd party music players that did not support all a2dp features.

Device(s)
    LG Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    not sure what vcast uses it could be AMR files.

I'm using the voyager

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    my vcast vids work fine on my Jabra 620 and 8010s and a LG 9400 but the tv didnt use to work a firmware update. the phone made vids still dont work on bluetooth but the tv, music, vcast all do now
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast