Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: w580i, N75, or V3xx?

Device(s)
    Motorola V635 (2005-2006)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

w580i, N75, or V3xx?

Didn't know whether this should go here or in Phone Battle, but since all three are on AT&T, I figured this would be the best place. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I just became eligible for an upgrade a few days ago, so I've been looking around and seeing what I'm interested in. These are the three phones I've been looking at, but there are a few downsides to each one that is making my decision more difficult than it should be:

w580i
    -Keypad cracking problems, according to HoFo
    -No 3G
    -Not available in stores here, so I'd have to order it from the website, which means I can't try it out in person before I purchase it

N75
    -The other Nokia phones I've used have had a really weak earpiece speaker, so weak that it's hard to hear anything, even at max volume. Does this one have the same problem?

V3xx
    -I've almost always gotten a Motorola phone, and I want to try something different

I'm also considering hanging on to my current phone (an old V635 I got off eBay) until Apple releases an iPhone with 3G, although that will almost certainly be out of my price range.

If anybody has any suggestions for any other phones, let me know!

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention what I'm looking for. I'd like a phone that, first and foremost, functions well as a phone. After that, it'd be nice to have some decent music playing capabilities, as well as a decent internet browsing experience for checking stuff like movie times and such. No tethering, no hard core texting, nothing like that. Even the internet browsing wouldn't be every day, but just something that'd be nice to have.
    Last edited by obake; 09-11-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, Moto Cliq (unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    what are you looking for as far as features?

1. w850i --if you want a good music phone
    2. N75-- if you want a good all around phone, with many 3rd party apps
    3. V3xx-- go with if you want a basic phone with 3G

Device(s)
    Motorola V635 (2005-2006)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xj911
    what are you looking for as far as features?

1. w850i --if you want a good music phone
    2. N75-- if you want a good all around phone, with many 3rd party apps
    3. V3xx-- go with if you want a basic phone with 3G
    Thanks for reminding me about listing the features I'm looking for. I edited my first post to reflect that.

I'm mostly flip-flopping back and forth between the w580i and the N75. The V3xx is nice... but my dad has one, and I want something different. A slightly crappy reason, but whatever. *shrugs*

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    V3xx got boring after a while...and I modded the crap out of mine.

not played with the w850i, but I didn't like the w810 all that much. The shutter lag was atrocious for such a good phone, plus it felt so fragile I thought I would break it.

I like the N75, the speaker is pretty good IMO. The 3rd party apps is why I like this phone though, I run Symella, which is a p2p file sharing (like limewire, napster), I have a gameboy emulator, salling clicker to control my music player on my pc; also to show me callerd id and pause my music player when getting a call, plus you can debrand the thing and get rid of the Cingular junk.

My only gripe is the battery, it's not unusable, but heavy users better carry around a couple of chargers.

edit- N75 has a good music player, can browse the Internet really well with the Ajax browser (opera mini works better IMO) plus I've never had a Nokia that was a bad phone.

Device(s)
    N95-3;N82
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    +1 for the N75. I do love SE's, but that keypad cracking issue kind of messes that one up. The N75 (once unbranded) is highly customizable, gets as good of reception as the V3xx, and has excellent sound quality. The music capabilities are also right up there with the SE. Also Amazon.com has it for free after rebate right now.

Device(s)
    V3X
    Feedback Score
    can you browse the net and still listen to your music at the same time on the n75 and will it play bluetooth audio on movies/video.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    can you browse the net and still listen to your music at the same time on the n75 and will it play bluetooth audio on movies/video.
    To answer all your questions, YES.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have both the n75 and v3xx platinum. I love both phones but find my self using the razr more. The nokia is a smartphone so that's a plus, has better music player. v3xx is thinner, more stylish. both get great reception.

For the n75 to really be good you have to unlock/debrand phone then its awesome with no isuues.

Device(s)
    Whichever strikes my fancy....
    Carrier(s)
    Blue, Red, Magenta
    Feedback Score
    What kind of battery life can be expected out of the N75 after unbranding. My only concern about that phone is that the battery life seems to have a pretty bad rep? Does debranding give some extra juice?

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    v3xx FTW.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jediistar
    What kind of battery life can be expected out of the N75 after unbranding. My only concern about that phone is that the battery life seems to have a pretty bad rep? Does debranding give some extra juice?
    It does seem to get better battery life (especially since you can select your network).

Honestly though, it's still not great. I can go a full day without charging it with light use, but heavy users might have to charge this puppy more than once a day. By far the worst battery life I've seen on Nokias I've used in the past.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    i've had both the n75 and the w580. I loved everything about the n75 but the battery life was unacceptable. I was forced to return it. the earpiece volume is perfectly fine if not too loud at maximum and reception is pretty good. The w580 is pretty cheap in terms of build quality, it squeaks, and wiggles a LOT. I am strongly considering returning the w580 becuase it has a pretty bad camera and i'm not particularly impressed with walkman 2.0. the only advantage i can see is album art lol.
    More bars in more places: an alcoholic's dream come true.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Blue, Red, Magenta
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nave462000
    i've had both the n75 and the w580. I loved everything about the n75 but the battery life was unacceptable. I was forced to return it. the earpiece volume is perfectly fine if not too loud at maximum and reception is pretty good. The w580 is pretty cheap in terms of build quality, it squeaks, and wiggles a LOT. I am strongly considering returning the w580 becuase it has a pretty bad camera and i'm not particularly impressed with walkman 2.0. the only advantage i can see is album art lol.
    What will you consider next? You're phone selection seems to be along the same path as mine and if you were relegated to just ATT's lineup, whats next?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    how about the new nokia 6555. Looks like it could be a winner!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Blue, Red, Magenta
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xj911
    how about the new nokia 6555. Looks like it could be a winner!
    My only beef with this is once again battery life looks to be an issue. Sascha at PC mag doesn't seem like someone to not put the phone through its paces and if hes talking stellar call quality and battery life, I'll take so so call quality and superb battery life anyday. Are there other phones that do both and do them well and look good while doing it, if I could find such a phone that has gotten positive reviews, I'd be all over it. I'm sure you would all be as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast