Page 170 of 280 FirstFirst ... 70 120 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 220 270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 4198

Thread: National 3G Maps

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I am seeing absolutely 0 changes in CA, OR, WA, ID, UT or NV, I just wonder if the only update is the new LTE in Nashville, and of course the HSPA+ out where Mark can't use it in MT

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Uhde View Post
    They're still claiming coverage in Ovando, MT (doesn't exist) and not showing coverage in Condon, MT (30 miles or so north west, went online about the same time Ovando started showing as covered on the maps)

On the other hand the new map does show lots of new "4G" in the middle of nowhere. Glad to know Drummond and Wolf Creek are rocking the "4G" lol - what about Helena, Kalispell, Great Falls, all the other towns?
    Now now, there's 3G in Great Falls! And HSPA+ just outside of town... to the southwest... along the interstate! Interstates is where people ARE, so that's where they put the coverage! Great Falls is a metro area, and it takes a LOT of time and work and hundreds of sites to cover cities! LOL Blah blah, I've heard all those before, as you have. It is extremely odd that they show HSPA+ outside Great Falls and not in the city itself, that's just dumb!! There is no end to the stupidity of AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if the weird backhaul deployment in MT has anything to do with CenturyLink. I know they had a bad rep back in the USWorst/Qworst days.

AT&T just go all microwave off their armada of Long Lines towers and they could backhaul to all but the most extreme rural sites without much issue.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    They are already doing that up here, all the carriers do (AT&T, VZ, USCC, TMO), and it allows them to backhaul into some EXTREMELY remote and isolated areas. What they will often do is put one site where it can get as much fiber, copper, etc. and then backhaul several outlying sites to it by Microwave, and many of those sites either don't have access to landlines and/or fiber or the cost to run wires to them would be cost prohibitive, especially with all the mountains and forest here. Railroads, landline companies (AT&T, Verizon), cable companies (Comcast), and others all use Microwave in varying amounts in their networks.

Edit-USCC has a site above Covelo in the Mendocino National Forest, for example that can often only be reached via Snowcat in the winter, in fact, it's the only site serving Covelo and the Round Valley.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ssv1

Edit2-AT&T is using several of their long line sites here for backhaul, though one that could seriously help fill in the cell gap (with ALL carriers) between Clearlake Oaks and Williams on CA 20 sits unused-

http://www.americantower.com/SiteLoc...nited%20states

It used to send/receive the Long Distance from this area to/from the main LD networks in the Sacramento Valley to the east.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do they still use those long lines towers? There is something like that along the interstate I use to go to and from work.

This:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...71.38,,0,-6.81

And ironically there is an ATT cell site bolted to it
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know, AT&T doesn't use Microwave at all for their Long Distance network anymore, but like I said Microwave is VERY much in use by many other companies, government, etc. AT&T actually started laying fiber in the late 1970's, and by the 90's the Long Lines sites were all either being used for other things, vacant or gone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggore View Post
    Now now, there's 3G in Great Falls! And HSPA+ just outside of town... to the southwest... along the interstate! Interstates is where people ARE, so that's where they put the coverage! Great Falls is a metro area, and it takes a LOT of time and work and hundreds of sites to cover cities! LOL Blah blah, I've heard all those before, as you have. It is extremely odd that they show HSPA+ outside Great Falls and not in the city itself, that's just dumb!! There is no end to the stupidity of AT&T.
    Not stupid, I'm about 99% sure it has to do with what sites have microwave backhaul. Microwave backhaul is a lot easier to convert to a pure-IP system than wired backhaul

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Not stupid, I'm about 99% sure it has to do with what sites have microwave backhaul. Microwave backhaul is a lot easier to convert to a pure-IP system than wired backhaul
    That's what Pioneer has done here, and what it's doing with the CellularOne system they bought from MTPCS. Pioneer already had a microwave hub/spoke network to all their sites, and they are integrating CellularOne's sites into it. It's working quite well, the LTE they've turned on so far has the same blazing speeds that Verizon has in the cities. Most sites already have fiber to them, but they still use microwave for the most part and this gives them time to get fiber to everything eventually.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I Just got a notification for Mansfield Ohio future 3G coverage!! this will prob be that stretch of I71 that's going to be lit up.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    About time! Pretty crazy we're getting excited about 3G in 2012 lol. Only with AT&T

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrunner View Post
    About time! Pretty crazy we're getting excited about 3G in 2012 lol. Only with AT&T
    yep and here is the SS for proof:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xcrunner View Post
    Not at all only with AT&T. Name for me ONE major legacy GSM carrier that has completed it's UMTS/3G overlay. Legacy CDMA carriers, small carriers, and new (launched with UMTS) carriers don't count.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    Not at all only with AT&T. Name for me ONE major legacy GSM carrier that has completed it's UMTS/3G overlay. Legacy CDMA carriers, small carriers, and new (launched with UMTS) carriers don't count.
    The economics for rural HSPA+ sucks. That's another reason for AT&T to do a skip to LTE/HSPA+ dual deployments. AT&T can do HSPA+ that's a bolt-on now, meaning it's circuit switched only up to the eNodeB then flip that voice data to IP backhaul.

Most rural areas they should start with 850 HSPA+ and 1900 LTE then they can flip a 850 channel of 5x5 LTE for coverage when enough LTE handsets are on the network.

Feedback Score
    That say's something about GSM or about the carrier's. And there is no reason why legacy CDMA carrier's and CDMA area's migrated to UMTS don't count, that just proves its possible so the carriers are just lazy.

If Verizon can complete an ENTIRE *GSM* based LTE overlay of their large 3G network and some more in just 3 years, then AT&T has no excuse to have any EDGE area's remaining.

If UMTS is that hard to deploy (which it isn't), then I guess thats why CDMA has always dominated here.

Page 170 of 280 FirstFirst ... 70 120 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 220 270 ... LastLast