Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 196

Thread: 3G Anywhere in WV

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39
    Device(s)
    who knows
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    3G Anywhere in WV

    i would love to know if were ever going to get 3g in this state this century

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    45
    Device(s)
    Samsung A737
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Q4 2007

    I too have been anxiously awaiting 3G here in WV..mainly in Charleston.

    I spoke to a rep at the ATT store in Chaz Town Cetner and I told May 07, then July, and now its by end of year. According to the rep, there are three issues here:

    1) TDMA is still on in a lot of places in WV. They're making a big push get people onto GSM by not replacing ANY TDMA hardware if it breaks. Once TDMA is out, they can use the spectrum for 3G.
    2) With population density and regional size taken into consideration, WV has one of the country's largest EDGE deployments.. so they're holding off here as long as they can.
    3) Our market. Lets face it, the number of subscribers in WV is a drop in the bucket when compared to the nationwide numbers.

    Number one sounds plausible. Number two sounds like a total BS... although I ALWAYS have an EDGE signal in most places in WV. Number three I agree with. However, I think at LEAST Charleston should have 3G.

    Now that Verizon bought up West Virginia Wireless (the employees are already switched over and their accessories in the store are just rebranded Verizon parts), I'm sure that ATT will push 3G with a REAL EVDO competitor in town.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Huntington Representative (Sales) just told me this area February 2008. I told her that I will wait until February and see

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    45
    Device(s)
    Samsung A737
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

    Charleston end of 1st Quarter 2008

    a rep told me that 3G is already in Charleston and currently being tested.. will be up end of 1st Q 08. This rollout will only be for data, HSDPA and voice will still be carried on GSM (damnit!). GSM coverage IS fantastic in Charleston, so maybe thats why they're not worried about it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    149
    Device(s)
    HTC/AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by edoublep
    a rep told me that 3G is already in Charleston and currently being tested.. will be up end of 1st Q 08. This rollout will only be for data, HSDPA and voice will still be carried on GSM (damnit!). GSM coverage IS fantastic in Charleston, so maybe thats why they're not worried about it.
    Is this even possible? I thought a phone could be either on GSM/GPRS/EDGE or UMTS voice/UMTS data/HSDPA, but not both at the same time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    Maaz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NYC Area
    Posts
    5,002
    Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    doesn't make sense. HSPDA runs off UTMS which is the upgrade to GSM so they can't limit the voice and just allow data. If UTMS is available the phone will use it and when you switch on data services it'll bump up to HSPDA if it's available.

    3G is currently running on the 1900mhz band so unless they don't have that license in your area then that's the only thing i can think of. They way they are doing it now tho is keep GSM on 850 and 3G on 1900 os if you have a 3G phone it will jump to 3G when in a 3G area with good signal.
    - yeah, don't listen to that guy!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39
    Device(s)
    who knows
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by edoublep
    I too have been anxiously awaiting 3G here in WV..mainly in Charleston.

    I spoke to a rep at the ATT store in Chaz Town Cetner and I told May 07, then July, and now its by end of year. According to the rep, there are three issues here:

    1) TDMA is still on in a lot of places in WV. They're making a big push get people onto GSM by not replacing ANY TDMA hardware if it breaks. Once TDMA is out, they can use the spectrum for 3G.
    2) With population density and regional size taken into consideration, WV has one of the country's largest EDGE deployments.. so they're holding off here as long as they can.
    3) Our market. Lets face it, the number of subscribers in WV is a drop in the bucket when compared to the nationwide numbers.

    Number one sounds plausible. Number two sounds like a total BS... although I ALWAYS have an EDGE signal in most places in WV. Number three I agree with. However, I think at LEAST Charleston should have 3G.

    Now that Verizon bought up West Virginia Wireless (the employees are already switched over and their accessories in the store are just rebranded Verizon parts), I'm sure that ATT will push 3G with a REAL EVDO competitor in town.
    but as far as i know theres no evdo in the state either

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles/Canada
    Posts
    11,103
    Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Maaz
    Is this even possible? I thought a phone could be either on GSM/GPRS/EDGE or UMTS voice/UMTS data/HSDPA, but not both at the same time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

    Maaz
    UMTS (with or without HSDPA) does both voice and data at the same time.
    I.e. you can be on a call (lets assume using Bluetooth for logisitical purposes), and browsing the web at the same time on UMTS.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    264
    Device(s)
    at&t/HTC Tilt/TyTyn II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was told by a rep here in Morgantown that the Motown/Fairmont/Clarksburg area will get 3G before the Charleston/Huntington area due to our proximity to DC and Pittsburgh. I dunno how true it is but so far at&t has built around 5-6 towers in and around Morgantown with more to come in the other two cities. I think it would be best to launch both Morgantown and Charleston/Huntington at the same time since the three cities are so important to the state's economy and such. I am very excited for it I figured I would have to wait years and years and its coming as early as this spring!
    VERIZON DSL SUCKS!! Took 3 weeks to turn on and still didn't work correctly til today making it 4 weeks! Now the issue is this: keep Verizon and use the 2 months of free service or stop the hassle of paying for DSL and a phone line Verizon charges by the min to use and get cable TV and internet through Comcast. Same 6 month price for internet ($19.99) just the addition of TV and a set top box that I will use compared to phone line I don't use. Any suggestions is appreciated through PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charleston, WV
    Posts
    45
    Device(s)
    Samsung A737
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Charleston WV is still not 3G.. ive been told end of March, so we'll see.
    I did however, get to use 3G voice when in NYC over the weekend and the difference in voice quality was ASTOUNDING. oh, and the data speeds were great too. one thing to note is the battery life on my Samsung a737 took a MAJOR hit. here on GSM, i can get 3-4 days of heavy phone / data use. In 3G, I had to charge my phone twice over a weekend, but that may be because I was playing with data a lot.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,350
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by edoublep
    one thing to note is the battery life on my Samsung a737 took a MAJOR hit. here on GSM, i can get 3-4 days of heavy phone / data use. In 3G, I had to charge my phone twice over a weekend, but that may be because I was playing with data a lot.
    Expect this to be a fact of life once AT&T brings 3G online in your area.
    Granted that a few already stated that their battery doesn't take a MAJOR hit, but my Treo 750 does when when I'm ripping through on 3G. 2-3 hrs is the max from a full charge my Treo 750 will live until I need to re-charge again.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    264
    Device(s)
    at&t/HTC Tilt/TyTyn II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Something random and some what exciting. I was watching TV with my roommate and was reading her a text I recieved from a mutual friend of ours and when I checked my phone again I had a "3G" next to my service indicator on my Tilt and I was flipping out I didn't know what to do. I had a 3G signal for a short bit tonight here in Morgantown. Its about to happen soon here. Anyone else seeing this occur in WV? I know Sprint users get the EV-DO to show up around Morgantown but it shows up so quickly its like a Bigfoot sighting. Before you know it, its gone. Makes me wonder how much longer I'll be waiting.
    Last edited by just2584; 02-14-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: forgot the 3

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    311
    Device(s)
    Samsung a707
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular- the new at&t
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A707/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.3 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

    Theres nothing new in the northern panhandle around Wheeing...but that is promising news about your occasional 3G in Morgantown. Hopefully that means this area or region is close to a launch.
    The power of communication is changing our landscape.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    264
    Device(s)
    at&t/HTC Tilt/TyTyn II
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I know it was the first time I've seen it since I got my Tilt. Dunno how flukey it is for that to happen as its been doing it with Sprint customers for the past couple months here switching between 1x and EV-DO. I hope its very soon it would be very awesome!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,045
    Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9650
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    the rep here in parkersburg said he wasn't allowed to say when it was coming because it keeps on changing. He also said that athens, oh has 3g which is true i checked on the coverage viewer. but then the installation crew went on to portsmith and then supposed to be coming to parkersburg. I dont know if this also cover marietta because i think marietta only has 850 coverage.
    1,000 posts 2:52 p.m March 11th, 2007
    2,000 posts 8:24 a.m February 24th, 2008

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Bookmarks