Thread: Upgrading the firmware on my N95.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score

Upgrading the firmware on my N95.

So I recently got an N95, with the 10.x firmware and product code for Orange UK.

I've installed Nokia PC Suite and Nokia Software Updater. I connected with the USB cable and NSU cannot seem to detect my N95. Now, when I connect the device to PC Suite, I have to click the "Get Connected" button everytime, but afterwards, it will detect it and I can use the utilities in the PC Suite. However, when I click on Software Update, it loads NSU and when I get to the step of detecting my phone and then searching for my phone, I get a pop-up from PC Suite that says "Nokia N95 disconnected via USB" and then NSU fails to detect my phone.

I heard something that said PC Suite will interfere with NSU, so I tried to run NSU independently, and it STILL does not detect my N95. I am running PC Suite 6.84 and NSU 1.3.85. Also, my phone has the PC Suite app installed, and the USB Mode is set to PC Suite.

The product code should not be a problem since, according to the Nokia site, I should be able to upgrade my firmware to AT LEAST 11.x, where I am currently sitting on 10.x

I am also using a DKE-2 cable.

Has anyone encountered this problem or would know of any fix?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900 32GB + 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ $5.99 unlimited internet
    Feedback Score
    try another computer like a friends. also it could be a bad cable. you can use any cable, it doesnt have to be nokia. also you might if you are trying from the front ports of your pc, try some of the ones in the back. sometimes the front ports arent powerful enough to power some devices.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Well, the thing is, I'm using my laptop's USB ports (of which there are 3 located on the side) and I have heard that we are not supposed to use a USB Hub, but maybe the build of my laptop is designed so that those three USB ports are actually stemmed from one internal one?

One "alternative" I have, that I am not sure if it will work is to bring it to a Nokia store here in Hong Kong. Would they be able to upgrade the firmware/reflash my phone for me? I am actually going to buy an extra battery anyway (Ya, I know I should have waited for the US version), so maybe they would be more inclined to do it for me?

Device(s)
    Nokia N82 Titanium (Finland)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    yip sounds like u should do that.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Well, the thing about that is that it seems to be a "work-around" for this f/w upgrade only.

I am only in HK during the summer, and I live in the GTA the rest of the year (where there are no Nokia stores). I am primarily interested in looking to solve the problem of detecting my N95. However, lets say I do choose to go to the store to get it upgraded, if I have changed my product code to the Hong Kong one (0534852) will the Nokia store still upgrade my firmware for me?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    yes they probably would.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    I have uninstalled everything except for MapLoader, and have reinstalled everything again. I encountered that "endless loop" of new hardware discovery for the N95 as a Windows Portable Device and have uninstalled it under device manager.

This time around, it seems the installation is much cleaner, and when I plug my N95 into the computer and select PC Suite mode, it will be automatically connected and I don't have to press the Get Connected button like previous.

However, with NSU, I am still getting the same problem. If I launch NSU with PC Suite, after a few tries, the N95 is disconnected via USB according to PC Suite, and it does get detected. I have heard that the N95 is supposed to get disconnected from PC Suite when NSU is updating, so I tried to run NSU standalone with PC Suite closed (Still using 'PC Suite' USB Mode on the phone, however). NSU was still unable to find my phone.

I would really like to avoid having to go to the Nokia store to tell them to update it for me, because, this would not guarantee that I will be able to update at home by myself in the future.

By the way, my original product code was:
    0548170 - Orange UK

Which I have switched to:
    0534832 - Hong Kong (also tried 0536084 but same result)

Could it be a product code problem? Even though I am currently running on 10.x firmware, and the Nokia site says I should be able to upgrade to at least 11.x for Orange UK and 12.0.013 for Hong Kong.
    Last edited by malaujai; 08-21-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    So I went to the Nokia store today. Two issues:
    1. In Hong Kong, the latest firmware they have is up to 11.x
    2. Because I have a "water" product, they will need to charge me 480 HKD (approx. 60-70 CDN). If I pay this, I am not sure if it guarantees that I will be able to update from home again, so from that standpoint, it is really not worth it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    ohhh watered goods, bad bad.

Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    i didnt want to buy it, but my uncle gave it to me as a gift so i coudlnt really refuse and say "if ur gonna buy me this one, can u get me the 600 dollar more expensive one" haha

-----------------------

anyway back on topic, the problem i am having is that i am not sure if this problem is occuring on the phone side, the laptop side or the unlikely possibility it is my cable (since my phone works with mass storage mode AND PC Suite).

also, would changing the product code to the Euro1 work? this is one of the last resorts because i want to preserve my chinese language

Device(s)
    Nokia N900 32GB + 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile w/ $5.99 unlimited internet
    Feedback Score
    APAC1 has Chinese.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido (Fido-2-Fido!)
    Feedback Score
    euro doesnt have chinese.