Thread: No Internet Access via WiFi with 6700

Feedback Score

No Internet Access via WiFi with 6700

I've updated my 6700 with the AKU 3.5 rom and everything is working fine except for now I can't get internet access when I use wifi. Does anyone know if there are any settings anywhere on the 6700 that may need to be changed to allow internet access? I am on the verizon plan but do not use their data services. I just use internet over wifi. Any help would be appreciated.

Device(s)
    XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, I do have a data plan and rarely use WiFi for internet, but just for kicks I went and re-initiated my network connection and verified internet usage. Here's the only suggestion I have for you - be sure the following two settings are consistent:
    1. Settings/connections/wirelessLAN/Menu:Network Cards/Tab:Wireless/Menu:Edit/Connects to: Work.
    2. Settings/connections/Connections/Tab:Advanced/Select Networks/Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using: My Work Network.

These may or may not help you. I've tried fiddling with these without resetting or even restarting PIE, and I was not able to break my internet connection.
    I'm not sure about POP email, but Exchange will refuse to sync with your device over a WiFi connection, so you won't get Exchange email anyway.
    Good luck, tmb

Feedback Score
    Thanks TMB,

Do I need to set up the work network? I followed those 2 tips you gave me and will try it tonight. However, I haven't previously set up a work network thinking that was just if I wanted to get on the network at work.

Device(s)
    XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Spence,
    I was assuming you already had a wireless network setup and ready to connect to. I always use "Work Network" because (at least in the past) this is what Microsoft used to describe a router-based network, regardless of where it was. WM5 comes with three default connection types: the phone system, "the internet", and "my work network". The last one is what I've always used to connect to both the internet and the other computers on my network.
    I'm pretty much at my limit here but am willing to help. Let me know how it goes. tmb

Feedback Score
    Excellent suggestion. I tried it over the weekend and it worked perfectly. I really appreciate your help. I always just assumed work was for exchange stuff at work and not home. By the way, this might be normal, but I noticed that my phone functionality turns off in wireless manager when wifi is on. Is that normal? Just checking. Thanks again for the terrific help!

Spence

Device(s)
    XV6700
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Spence,
    Glad it worked out for you.
    Your WiFi/Phone interruption implies that you have a Verizon phone without the latest official software update (the last update was about a year ago, which makes it ancient.) Verizon intentionally crippled simultaneous WiFi/phone usage in the initial issue but later relented and undid their crippling with the "AKU2.2" rom update. I would suggest that you backup/sync everything, then download and install the latest ROM update from the UTStarcom website. (This is where the Verizon site sends you.)
    http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/...11000_Ship.exe

You could restore simultaneous wifi/phone operation by editing the mutex flag as discussed here:
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/ppc-6...ighlight=mutex

Good luck. tmb

[Edit: Oops - I posted then was reminded that you have already upgraded to 3.5 - so the above doesn't apply. Sorry. You might try searching for help over at pdaphonehome.com or ppcgeeks.com. tmb]