Thread: Best cheep phone to tether

Device(s)
    HP 6915
    Feedback Score

Best cheep phone to tether

I am about to sign up for T-Mobile and I need some advice. I already have a GSM smartphone that I will be using primarily but since they are going to give me a phone I figured I should get a phone that is good at being tethered.

What is the current favorite for this?

Thanks,
    Mike

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    get T639 if you can wait
    this is the very first AWS 3G phone, the best phone to tether this time (3G internet is surely better than EDGE!)

Optimum/Cablevision

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Of the "gimmee" (free upfront or after a mail-in-rebate), there aren't any great choices. Most of them are low-end phones so you can't expect too much. Realistically:
    • Nokia 6103: has Bluetooth 2.0+EDR so you should get a fast, stable BT connection, and it supports DUN and FTP (but not OPP so you'll have to initiate file transfers from a computer). The downside is that it is only a class 6 EDGE device, so you'll probably only peak around 130kbps as a cellular modem.
    • Samsung t619: has Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, DUN, OPP, FTP. But no information on what class EDGE device it is, and reports are that its RF is only so-so.
    • Samsung Trace: has Bluetooth 1.2, DUN, OPP, FTP. But no information on what class EDGE device it is, and again, reports are that its reception is only average.
    • T-Mobile SDA: strong RF performer, probably the best "gimmee" device spec-wise. But it's Windows Smartphone and not the easiest device to tether (have to use Windows ActiveSync or OS X Missing Sync). Don't have any idea on what its like to use as a cellular modem.

If you're willing to spend (and you should), consider:
    • Motorola v195s ($20)
    • Nokia 6086, Nokia 6133, or Motorola RIZR z3 ($50)
    • Nokia 5300 or Samsung t629 ($80)
    • Motorola KRZR k1 ($100)

I've omitted the Windows Mobile devices from this second list, because I don't have any knowledge of what they're like as tethered devices... well, other than a brief period with the Dash, which I found problematic mostly because of the learning curve with Windows (I try to avoid Windows in all forms).
    signatures? off.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ikjeft1b
    Of the "gimmee" (free upfront or after a mail-in-rebate), there aren't any great choices. Most of them are low-end phones so you can't expect too much. Realistically:
    • Nokia 6103: has Bluetooth 2.0+EDR so you should get a fast, stable BT connection, and it supports DUN and FTP (but not OPP so you'll have to initiate file transfers from a computer). The downside is that it is only a class 6 EDGE device, so you'll probably only peak around 130kbps as a cellular modem.
    • Samsung t619: has Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, DUN, OPP, FTP. But no information on what class EDGE device it is, and reports are that its RF is only so-so.
    • Samsung Trace: has Bluetooth 1.2, DUN, OPP, FTP. But no information on what class EDGE device it is, and again, reports are that its reception is only average.
    • T-Mobile SDA: strong RF performer, probably the best "gimmee" device spec-wise. But it's Windows Smartphone and not the easiest device to tether (have to use Windows ActiveSync or OS X Missing Sync). Don't have any idea on what its like to use as a cellular modem.

If you're willing to spend (and you should), consider:
    • Motorola v195s ($20)
    • Nokia 6086, Nokia 6133, or Motorola RIZR z3 ($50)
    • Nokia 5300 or Samsung t629 ($80)
    • Motorola KRZR k1 ($100)

I've omitted the Windows Mobile devices from this second list, because I don't have any knowledge of what they're like as tethered devices... well, other than a brief period with the Dash, which I found problematic mostly because of the learning curve with Windows (I try to avoid Windows in all forms).
    WM phones is easy to tether through bt (either DUN or PAN), unlike USB (need to activate modem link)