Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone screen: white dots pattern.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thumbs down iphone screen: white dots pattern.

in case you guys notice the same issue:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=328862

in short,I replaced my 1st iphone and on the new one there is a white dot matrix/pattern on the screen. Always present, it can be seen better on black/dark backgrounds.
    I am completely sure it wasn't on my old one, so i went ahead and stole my girlfriend's phone to double check.
    Sure enough, it wasn't there. Perfectly dark screen.

Also, images don't look as sharp as they do on hers or my previous one.
    Watching a really dark movie/video is impossible...the contrast is not the same and everything looks compressed(while it looks fine on another iphone and on the macbook)
    I tried to discuss the matter with a Genius at the apple store, who gladly exchanged mine, but pointed out that it was "normal. Just a different manufacturer for the LCD".

Some of the models on the floor had the same issue, some didn't ad had the old screen model(read below)

My fear, and the reason that i write to you, is that Apple released the better LCD screens first, and now switched to a much lower quality.

I know for a fact that the screens are from different manufacturers.

If i put my phone in Field Test Mode ( by calling *3001#12345#* from the iphone) i get two different LCD panel IDs:

mine (the problematic one) : 7455232
    my girfriend's (nice and sharp) :5755136

there are more pictures at the macrumors forums thread, but these are the ones i took to show you the white grid of dots and the weird artifacts that you notice when charging the battery or watching a movie.

it almost appears as everything is uber-compressed, almost like these screens are calibrated wrong.

anybody else noticed this?

A>

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    lol... uh are you talking about the "captive touch panel"?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/

It's what makes the multi touch work.

P.S.
    Mine isn't visible unless i'm REALLY looking for it.
    I didn't even notice it until you brought it up.
    I don't see it unless it's held at an angle.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jevonderrick
    lol... uh are you talking about the "captive touch panel"?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/

It's what makes the multi touch work.
    nope,

that's not it.

i can assure you it's another thing.

the touch panel is visible even when the screen is off.
    There dots are NOT present on other models, specifically the ones with the LCD n:5755136

all the LCD with model number 7455232 have this issue.

i have checked at the apple and att store and some models have it, some don't .

the ones that dont have it are always models 57...
    they have a sharper, more defined image and no signs of white dots.

follow instructions below if you wanna check what version of the screen you have.

hope this helps,

A>

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Fortunately, I checked and my LCD and its a 5755136. WHEW!! And my screen looks perfect.

You really ought to take it to an Apple store and swap it. From what I hear, it's not too hard to get them to give you a replacement if you have a legitimate reason, and this definitely sounds like one.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty water
    Fortunately, I checked and my LCD and its a 5755136. WHEW!! And my screen looks perfect.

You really ought to take it to an Apple store and swap it. From what I hear, it's not too hard to get them to give you a replacement if you have a legitimate reason, and this definitely sounds like one.

ha,

you are right.

problem is this not my 1st replacement, and all models i am getting have the new screen.

therefore i am not able ot get a 57... screen anywhere.

plus it seems like the geniuses think this is the way the screen has to look now, and even when i show them my girlfriend's phone, they say that it's normal because "they must be from different screen manufacturers".

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Mine is barely noticeable. With the brightness all the way up, in a dark room, I can't see the dots at a normal distance away. I have to tilt the screen away from me with the screen close to my face to see the dots.

I'd say this is totally normal.

I have the screen that begins with 7.

DW

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i have the same version as u do for the LCD screen and have absoloutely NO problems my screen is clear as can be!

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ras4119
    i have the same version as u do for the LCD screen and have absoloutely NO problems my screen is clear as can be!
    good for you!

you are the 1st one to claim that.

most other users that bought their phone at release or near that date and for one reason or another had to swap theirs are noticing a difference in screen quality and this white dot pattern.

maybe the fact that you haven't had a chance to A/B the screens doesn't give you too much room to compare.

regardless, i am happy you have no issues with it.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver88
    Mine is barely noticeable. With the brightness all the way up, in a dark room, I can't see the dots at a normal distance away. I have to tilt the screen away from me with the screen close to my face to see the dots.

I'd say this is totally normal.

I have the screen that begins with 7.

DW

DW,

it's not normal.

at least it wasn't there on the previous models that began with a 5, i can assure you.

plenty of people with the same experience over at macrumors forums.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i got mine this past monday and i have the 7# one...when did ur girlfriend get hers? and if u did take it back to replace it how would u know if u were get the 5# one or not??

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by phoneorpda
    DW,

it's not normal.

at least it wasn't there on the previous models that began with a 5, i can assure you.

plenty of people with the same experience over at macrumors forums.

I read the thread over there. I still think it's normal.....or should I say, normal for the iPhone.

When something like this comes up, you have to rely on other people to let you know how their screen looks. What looks like nothing to one person, looks like major white dots to another. I find it hard to believe that the dots are REALLY noticeable at half brightness, at normal operating distances as some are making it sound. I think the people that "notice" them the most are people that are a bit TOO picky (read; anal). No offense.

We'll see in time if it's a defect, but for now, it looks like it's the norm.

DW

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    i got mine this past monday and i have the 7# one...when did ur girlfriend get hers? and if u did take it back to replace it how would u know if u were get the 5# one or not??
    me and my girlfriend got ours together at the Pasadena Apple store on june 29.

i "know" i will get a 7 because the last five phones i got (they had other issues besides the screen: battery, screen flickering and overheating) all have a number 7 screen, so i am assuming that's all that is available for now, at least in this area.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamWeaver88
    I read the thread over there. I still think it's normal.....or should I say, normal for the iPhone.

When something like this comes up, you have to rely on other people to let you know how their screen looks. What looks like nothing to one person, looks like major white dots to another. I find it hard to believe that the dots are REALLY noticeable at half brightness, at normal operating distances as some are making it sound. I think the people that "notice" them the most are people that are a bit TOO picky (read; anal). No offense.

We'll see in time if it's a defect, but for now, it looks like it's the norm.

DW

DW,

i agree with you that this is the norm, for now.

but i have an iphone near me that doesn't have the same issue.
    me and my girl bought one on release date and they were identical.

once i replaced mine i started seeing the difference in sharpness and the pattern on the screen.

so yes i know i am picky, but i think that if you would seethe two models side to side you would agree, since the difference is undeniable, at comparable brightness setting( usually half)

Device(s)
    iPhone3G
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

i thought mine was the same way, until i cranked the brightness al the way up and i have the little dots too

Device(s)
    EVO 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint (I'm new - please don't disappoint!)
    Feedback Score
    Those of you with 7* screens - you have the problem, you just can't see it. I've checked out multiple phones at the Apple store today - those with 5* screens do NOT have the issue - and all 3 that had the 7* do have the issue. The 5* definitely look a *tad* sharper as well, if holding them side by side.
    Past phones: Samsung A530, Moto E815, LG VX8500, Samsung U600, Apple iPhone 8GB, Moto Razr2 V9M, iPhone 32GB 3GS, RIM BB Pearl 8130, BB 9700

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast