Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DENIED INTERVIEW because NO SUIT??

Feedback Score

DENIED INTERVIEW because NO SUIT??

This is for a friend who recently had an interview with T-Mobile and according to what my friend said, the "Manager" denied the interview because he wasn't wearing a suit. He had a nice pressed shirt and Slacks on with a tie. Is this is fair? Is this discrimination? What can be done? Should it be reported?
    By the way, this was for a "Sales Rep" position.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    hmmm... considering he have a shirt and tie and slacks, it might be considered as discrimination. What race is he?

I heard that it's best if the person also wear a jacket too but even if he didn't wear one, he should not been denied.

I think he should consult with a lawyer but he may or may not win and the lawyer will decide if he have a case against them or not.

He may have been denied just the way he looks.

Feedback Score
    That is definately not T-Mobile policy. Also, this question has to be asked. Did your friend do well during the interview? I have a feeling if he was really good during the interview he would have been hired no matter what he showed up in.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibson714
    That is definately not T-Mobile policy. Also, this question has to be asked. Did your friend do well during the interview? I have a feeling if he was really good during the interview he would have been hired no matter what he showed up in.
    He was denied the interview..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 123okgo
    This is for a friend who recently had an interview with T-Mobile and according to what my friend said, the "Manager" denied the interview because he wasn't wearing a suit. He had a nice pressed shirt and Slacks on with a tie. Is this is fair? Is this discrimination? What can be done? Should it be reported?
    By the way, this was for a "Sales Rep" position.
    It doesnt sound like the best business decision on the managers part. IE wearing a shirt and tie vs a suit doesnt mean the person couldnt have been a great part of the team and made t-mobile a ton of money.

BUT: When you are interviewing you are completely on the other person's turf. Sometimes they have unrealistic expectations or are completely unreasonable themselves. It sucks but it is life. Unless there is a lot you arnt telling us you would be way out of line to consider this discrimination. There is enough real discrimination going on today that you cheapen the word to use it in this case.

Feedback Score
    No constitutional protections here, you are allowed to discriminate against clothing. Schools and business do it all the time.

Why not tell your friend to go back with a suit on?

Device(s)
    Dash WM6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    yeah there is no discrimination there. it sucks and i would file a fomal complaint with the regional manager but there is no legal action that can be taken.

Device(s)
    'berry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Pink
    Feedback Score

actually...

it wouldn't be too difficult to determine some level of discrimination in such an occurrence. there is no "official" dress code for job interviews, so the decision to deny someone upon sight is questionable.

if we take this incident at face value, with just these simple facts, and the interviewer is expecting a man to attend the interview in a suit, what would a woman be expected to wear?

this is the sort of thing that gets rules and regulations created and defined.

Feedback Score
    They do make suits for women now, just so you know. And there most certinly is an 'official dress code' for interviews for both men and women.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If someone shows up to a formal interview in t-shirt, jeans, and hasn't shaved or bathed for months, the employer has every right to refuse the interview. In this case, the interviewer wanted a suit wearing candidate.

This seems a bit too far fetched for me. I'd be interested to know the Manager's exact wording. Also, for all we know, the guy going in for an interview had a green mohawk and facial tattoos.

Device(s)
    RIM BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by penk
    it wouldn't be too difficult to determine some level of discrimination in such an occurrence. there is no "official" dress code for job interviews, so the decision to deny someone upon sight is questionable.
    ^ Agreed. I've been working in HR forever and share this viewpoint in this situation. Some form of discrimination could probably be proven in this case, but I'm not sure if it'd actually be worth pursuing legally. It wouldn't exactly be a great way to start an employee-employer relationship. It would also be interesting to know the exact chain of events that occurred, what the manager said to him, and what the candidate said back, if anything.

Device(s)
    'berry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Pink
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig
    They do make suits for women now, just so you know. And there most certinly is an 'official dress code' for interviews for both men and women.
    There is a recommended dress code for interviews, but it cannot possibly be applied to every profession or position, hence no "official dress code". This is not to suggest one's attire will not be considered in the evaluation process - it most certainly will, and should - but no one should be denied an interview on basis of dress.

As for "suits for women", yes of course such garments are available, but what style is required for the interview? Is a skirted suit expected, or will she be turned away if she arrives wearing pants?

This may all be a matter of semantics, but that's why this activity isn't permitted. For example, "suit" doesn't exactly mean what it once did - does "suit" imply a three-piece with vest, or is a sportscoat acceptable? Also, "business casual" is quite vague now and will vary from place to place, sometimes including jeans other times not, and footwear specifics may or may not be stated.

Most of the previous paragraph refers to post-hire employment, so how exactly can one know with any certainty what to wear before stepping into the office? Nothing can be taken for granted, from either side of the interview process.

Device(s)
    Dash WM6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    so when you walk up to a gas station or restraunt and they have those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs they are discriminating against you???? when you go to a bar that has a dress code and you arent let in because your clothes, that is discrimination???? i dont think so. businesses have every right to deny someone based on there clothing.

Device(s)
    'berry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Pink
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote Originally Posted by redwildebeast
    so when you walk up to a gas station or restraunt and they have those "no shirt, no shoes, no service" signs they are discriminating against you???? when you go to a bar that has a dress code and you arent let in because your clothes, that is discrimination???? i dont think so. businesses have every right to deny someone based on there clothing.
    Your bar example refers to private property and a gas station is likely franchised, and would fall under similar protection.

Device(s)
    Dash WM6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    well a t-mobile store is private property. what does that have to do with anything????

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast