Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DENIED INTERVIEW because NO SUIT??

Device(s)
    <iPhone goes Here>
    Carrier(s)
    TmO
    Feedback Score
    Eh, i just finished an interview (and was granted an offer) to what many would consider a high profile worldwide software company (not microshaft).

I'm just a little inclined to believe that something else went on that day. NO doubt there are some individuals who set the bar extremely high, but I take all of my interviews extremely seriously, since the only time i'm actively looking for a job is when I need one. Even if its not your style, you have to put your game face on. Get your shave on (and a nice cut will sway in your favor), fix your nails (yes guys, file them down or something. Just cuz you're a guy doesn't mean your allowed to have dirty nails), get your suite in or out of the dry cleaners, clean up your shoes, and slap a smile on your face.

A friend I knew applied to a place I was working at a few years ago. I even told the manager he was a really good candidate (and she respected my opinion) , but he came in some slacks and a sweater....I knew he was screwed, and he didn't get the job.

Oh well, lol.

Device(s)
    BB 8100 Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't really feel bad for the guy that the OP was speaking of. i have always made it point to error on the side of being overdressed for an interview. a potential employer will not look down on you for taking pride in your appearance, even if that means that your dressed a little too nice for the position you're applying for.

the only job that i was ever turned down for being too well dressed was borders books. i guess i wasn't what they were looking for (the hippie type with dread locks that smokes a lot of pot). that's alright though, i had an interview at my local t-mobile location immediately afterward and i was exactly what they were looking for.

Device(s)
    LG Voyager
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To play devil's advocate, I'm going to give the hiring manager the benefit of the doubt here and take his side....

First off, the hiring process is a total PItA. It is hard work and involves making risky decisions that sooner or later will bite you in the rear. The hiring manager has every right to use whatever LEGAL criteria that manager sets to make hiring decisions (attire is a perfectly legal criteria).

If anything, he did the applicant a favor by not wasting his time and raising false hopes when he showed up unprepared for the interview.

That said, if an applicant showed up and instantly did something that took him out of the running, I would have at least gone through the motions for a few minutes (actually looking, for any reason to change my mind) been very polite and let the applicant know that he would be hearing something back soon. Under no circumstances would I ever give the applicant a hint as to why I was going to be going in a different direction.

Also, my guess is that if the OP is complete and accurate, this manager is probably something less than a real joy to work for.

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    If this was for selling phones out on the sales floor, the manager was way off base (considering I have never seen suits in cell phone stores, and I have visited several). Usually it seems like they wear a corporate polo shirt with logo and khaki pants or similar style. I would be more concerned about how the person's personality would fit in the store, how well he could sell phones, and his knowledge of the industry and different phone functions. However, my whole life was spent in education or finance (finance later in life) -- where suits were acceptable until about 15 years ago, BTW -- so I have limited knowledge of how to run a cell phone store.

Device(s)
    BB BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    thats t-mobile for ya!!!

i don't know how t-mbile promotes its employees.. in my case.. my manager usually has no clue in what he is doing?!?! kinda funny...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalia
    thats t-mobile for ya!!!

i don't know how t-mbile promotes its employees.. in my case.. my manager usually has no clue in what he is doing?!?! kinda funny...
    Funny that you should mention that. There isn't a single T-Mobile manger in St.Louis that seems to know what there doing either. There all a bunch of Lazy Political good for nothing babysitters.

Device(s)
    BB BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MoJoD
    Funny that you should mention that. There isn't a single T-Mobile manger in St.Louis that seems to know what there doing either. There all a bunch of Lazy Political good for nothing babysitters.
    so true man!!

lol... i wish them luck!!!

Feedback Score
    ******UPDATE*********
    its been a while since i checked on this but the "friend" got hired FULLTIME and making $$$$ . thanks for all your comments concerns replys etc.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you are interviewing for ANY job that involves working with the public, especailly a sales position, wear a suit. Don't care if the thermometer says 100 above or 30 below. If you don't own a suit & can't afford one, borrow one or rent it.

Bravo to the manager who puts importance in appearance. He did the kid a favor.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This is crazy i could understand if the actual dress code was a suit and tie. However i have never seen anyone dressed like that working in a t-mobile store or sprint store or even alltel store.

Most of the reps at the t-mobile corp stores i go to are wearing polo shirts.

Device(s)
    Apple Iphone 3G 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Its all a matter of making a good first impression. I can see that especially if you are going to work in retail. It doesn't matter if the dress code is less or not, when you are trying to make a good first impression you only get one chance. A manager may see this as the guy has little initiative to go the extra mile, so I don't want them working for me. As to the current dress code, the employees wear the corporate attire because they are told to. In lieu of this would they dress better or worse, and that is what the manager is looking at. People are more aprt to purchase from professionals and managers know this. Would you want to buy your car from someone in sneakers, sweat pants, and a t-shirt? If the price is right you may still buy, but there will always be this sense of unease.
    As my little girl would say about my opinions "Just my two monies worth"

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratusguitar
    This is crazy i could understand if the actual dress code was a suit and tie. However i have never seen anyone dressed like that working in a t-mobile store or sprint store or even alltel store.

Most of the reps at the t-mobile corp stores i go to are wearing polo shirts.
    I agree. The rule I've lived by is classic: Dress for the job you wish for (+1, maybe). In the case of TMO USA: No one wears a suit, including Robert Dotson (CEO).

Unless you want a position across the pond, a suit is unacceptable in any retail environment.

When I recruited and hired for the field, I always targeted individuals that could best relate to the customers at the given locations. In many locations, a suit would alienate the customer base.

OP: You are lucky you weren't hired. The hiring manager obviously doesn't understand the game.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5 (rooted)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Reminds me of a story I heard about my grandfather: he was inteviewing candidates for a position in his firm, and he had just finished with one, when another guy asked "how about the last guy?". Grandpa shakes his head, says
    "No. Son-of-a-##### chews gum."

Feedback Score
    He should come work were I work, there so pc you could almost get away with comming there naked.

Device(s)
    'berry 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Pink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomdob76
    He should come work were I work, there so pc you could almost get away with comming there naked.
    and on the merits of this one... i say "good night" to this thread.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast