Thread: Annoyance of Returning LD Calls on Bell Mobility

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score

Annoyance of Returning LD Calls on Bell Mobility

I'm on Virgin, which uses the Bell network. My wife is on PC, which also uses Bell. We both have had the same experience. An incoming missed call shows up, we press "call" to call back, and the helpful Bell network says "That number is long distance. You must dial 1 first to complete your call."

Well if you KNOW it's long distance, why in the hell don't YOU prepend a "1" on the number you displayed on my phone so the $%##@@!! call can be completed, without me having to write it on a piece of paper and dial it myself???

Device(s)
    Blackberry pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    normaly bell customer can place a LD call without the 1 before.. you would just hear a recording saying that this call is long distance... i dont know for virgin or PC
    Rogers Wireless CSR 2004 - 2005
    Bell Mobility CSR 2005 - august 2007

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score
    hmmm, maybe it's a special "feature" to punish us for using VMC and PCMobile

Device(s)
    Q10 (active)
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by makuribu
    hmmm, maybe it's a special "feature" to punish us for using VMC and PCMobile
    Seems to be. When I call a long-distance number I get a message informing me that it's long-distance, that they're going to connect my call, and that long-distance charges apply, then it starts ringing.

Feedback Score
    On most phone you can indeed "pre-pend" a number. Look at the number you want to dial and then hit options, it should have a pre-pend option.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700, BlackBerry Tour
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    OP are you in western Canada or eastern Canada? In western Canada if you are on Bell you still have to dial the 1. In eastern Canada it is possible to just dial and the call will connect without the 1 much like SuperCM said.
    The meaning of religion:

Catholicism teaches: if * happens, you deserve it.
    Christianity teaches: if * happens, Praise god for it.
    Confucianism teaches: if * happens, let it happen properly.
    Taoism teaches: if you understand *, it isnt *.
    Buddhism teaches: if * happens, it isnt really * b/c everything that happens to you is good.
    Hinduism teaches: I've seen this * before...
    Shintoism teaches: you inherit the * of your ancestors.
    Atheism says I dont believe this *!!

Carrier(s)
    Bell HSPA
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgst
    normaly bell customer can place a LD call without the 1 before.. you would just hear a recording saying that this call is long distance... i dont know for virgin or PC
    That happens with Rogers. Even if you don't enter 1 before the number it will still connect your call after a brief message. Now on some phones, when you receive a call, you can go into your call history, select the number, select Prepend, then you can put the 1 before it.

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gquie
    OP are you in western Canada or eastern Canada? In western Canada if you are on Bell you still have to dial the 1. In eastern Canada it is possible to just dial and the call will connect without the 1 much like SuperCM said.
    I'm in Ontario. I'm going to call one of the frighteningly cheerful Virgin Mobile support people and see what they say.

Device(s)
    Huawei GR5
    Carrier(s)
    Primus/Citifone
    Feedback Score
    Some progress. There is, indeed, a "Prepend" option for returning calls. It makes returning a call about a five button operation, rather than one.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Maybe Virgin's billing network doesn't hook into call completion the same way bell's does... In order for that 1 override to work, the billing system has to have a component in the network operating that way.

It could even be a bug in the classification Bell is using for calls coming from Virgin across it's network...
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.