Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Globalstar GSP-1600 Survival Guide

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know what the "Sleep Service Scan Interval" option under [Programming Menu] [More Pgm] is? I am guessing it is how often the phone will search for Globalstar service if it loses service while idle, but even if this is correct, do you think it means seconds or minutes? "10" is the default on my handset...

Feedback Score
    Hi everyone, I hope this thread is still active....

With the help of this thread I've gotten my 1600 up and running on PagePlus and Globalstar.

Heres the issue I have though. I can only find one SID for my entire state. (its 30 minutes away) I've got the little roaming guy (solid not flashing). I can make calls, but it asks me to enter the number I am dialing inorder to complete the call.

I'm in Oklahoma. Is there any hope for me to not be on roaming? One would think there is more than the single tower in literally the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the help!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Huh, that seems like an odd situation.

If the roaming icon is solid and not flashing (in cellular mode), that means that the SID programmed into your handset matches the network SID, but that the NID differs. If I remember correctly, setting the NID to 0 will tell the phone to not care about the NID, which should cause the roaming indicator to turn off.

However, in my experience with Page Plus, the network neither knows nor cares what SID and NID I have programmed into my handset, and calls go through the same in any case.

What is the exact wording on the prompt you receive when you try to make a call? Also, if you dial "22222" and hit send, what is the wording on the error message you receive? Keep listening at the end of the announcement and there is likely to be a switch ID code which would be useful to know as well.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also, on this map, are you in an area of "prepaid coverage," or "prepaid roaming"?

The service should work even in the "prepaid roaming" areas, but knowing which you are in might help narrow down the options for troubleshooting.

Feedback Score
    Wow, quick responce.

I am in Tulsa. So I should be in the full blown coverage zone. The SID located on the list is for Nowata, ok. about 30 minutes due north of my location.

When I make an outgoing call. The prompt comes up and says "please reenter the 10 digit number you are calling without hitting send .. Message H O 1

I can enter the 10 digit number and the call goes through. However. If I dial anything less than 10 digits, it still asks for the 10 digit number and without all 10 it wont go through... for example *611 would not work due to the lack of digits.

My SID for Nam1 is 1586
    MCC is 000
    NID is 65535

no other sid's are entered.. just 0s. I tried 310 as a MCC when setting up and could not get out. 000 was default in my phone when I got it.

I tried setting the NID to 0... still got the dude icon, still the same msg when dialing 22222 or any other number

oh, an i do have full bars... so theres for sure a tower here somewhere...

Feedback Score
    A development... I spent the last few hours digging through the SID list for everything in OK.

All of the numbers work still, but one for Tulsa actually turns off the roam indicator. 166

I assume this is the tower I an hitting currently. With this SID plugged in I don't show roaming, but I still get the HO1 error when dialing out.

There are some SID's that are solid indicators from this location, others that Blink. I don't know off the top of my head the difference in the indicators. I'll look into that.

My concern is that Page+ says coverage should be in my area, but there is only 1 verizon SID in the state.
    Are there any agreements in place to avoid roaming???

Feedback Score
    My overnight research (i work nights, can't sleep) has FINALLY turned up some information.

I'm experiencing two-stage dialing. This can occur for a couple of reasons outlined as such:

Quote Originally Posted by page+
    Question:

How will a customer know if they are roaming On-Network, Off-Network or Unregistered?

Answer:

While roaming, the customer may experience the following:

On-Network Roaming

Calls completed as usual:

Enter destination telephone number and press SEND.

Or

Two – stage dialing will occur as follows:

1. The destination number is entered and the SEND key is pressed.

2. The customer will hear a billing announcement prompting them to re-enter their destination number.

2. Off-Network Roaming

Two - Stage dialing will occur as follows:

1. Destination number is entered and the SEND key is pressed

2. Customer will be asked to enter their Mobile Number, four-digit Pass Code, and destination number.

3. A recording will indicate the customer will incur additional roaming charges and have xx minutes available

4. Call will be connected
    SO what it looks like I'm getting is On-network roaming which is charged at the home rate. My guess is that if I head off into an area marked on the map as roaming zone that I'll start getting the off-network roaming prompt listed above...

Feedback Score
    talked to Page+ support... they gave me an SID of 1322 for my number. I show that as a Maryland ID.

I show a solid roaming indicator for Tulsa with that SID. I'm starting to feel like I'll just always be roaming which REALLY sucks.

Feedback Score
    Well, playing with settings... I got it to lock out the USCell tower and connect to a non-roaming A side. Doing that allowed me to call out, but not receive. Also, it has full bars but drops the signal to 0 constantly...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Aw crap, I just noticed GS jacked up their rates and intro'ed new plans...

Now the cheapest is $25 for 12 minutes a month.
    Mourning the loss of my Nextel i325 but still using a bag phone.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Since the thread has been "brought back from the dead"...scrambled texts are apparently common even on recent phones if the sender throws in emoticons, or unicode characters (usually non-english symbols but apparently apostrophe on a few phones uses unicode apostrophe instead of the standard one, and possibly quotation marks if it uses unicode "left" and "right" quote marks like Word instead of straight ones. Have senders stick to plain text and they should come through fine.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterm View Post
    Aw crap, I just noticed GS jacked up their rates and intro'ed new plans...

Now the cheapest is $25 for 12 minutes a month.
    Yeah, their website had said that the previous unlimited plan was only available for new subscriptions through February 2013. Now that they are close to having their network back in full operation, I'm sure they would like to start making money again.

That's if they manage not to default on their debts this coming Monday, but that's another story.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if SatPhoneBrad would sell me his old plan...

Feedback Score
    Greetings from Russia!
    I have a GSP-1600 handheld, it is activated through Globalstar Europe, but it doesn't work. It doesn't registers in the satellite network. I think the problem is in CDMA/AMPS settings, because other settings are as required. Can someone post here a full list of european settings for GSP phone? Maybe any other ideas how to get it working? Globalstar support is useless after two month of communication...
    Thanks!

Device(s)
    Original Silver Cingular V3 RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular--thinking about Sprint!
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if phones can still be activated on any CDMA carriers? It sounds like Verizon is flat forbidding anything that they didn't explicitly white-list from being on their network as a non-roamer. I also know from personal conversations that Choice Wireless, the consumer arm of CommNet, only allows activation with one of their dismal list of phones--no Nexus on their network, in other words. Sigh...

Edit: this includes Page Plus and other MVNOs--Verizon apparently put the hammer down on everyone.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast