Thread: Siemens S40 on Cingular: "Operation Failed" <turn off> Error... HELP

Device(s)
    iPhone 2G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score

Unhappy Siemens S40 on Cingular: "Operation Failed" <turn off> Error... HELP

Hello,

I recently received my S40 back from Siemens after sending it back for a Firmware upgrade (from v2.3). They flashed it with v5.0 firmware because I was constantly receiving the message: "Operation Failed" - and the only option shown on the phone is to "Turn Off" by holding down the RED key... this happened whenever I attempted to access the my SIM card (i.e. phonebook). I have a Pacific Bell Wireless 32k SIM card (says PacBell on the SIM card cause I had it before PacBell was Cingular)... so I thought the low firmware version had problems reading 32k SIM cards...

Unfortunately it still does the same thing... however, I can use it for about 45 - 90 seconds before the "Operation Failed" message comes up... I can even access the SIM card (i.e. phonebook).

Can this be a problematic SIM chip? The S40 is an "A106" version of the phone... not made specifically FOR the Cingular network... can this be the source of the problem?

I am pretty confused here...

Other notable things: When I attempt to insert my SIM into a Cingular Nokia 8390, I get a message stating that it "Invalid SIM" (or something similar). Can the 8390 use 32k SIMs?

Also, I went through about 5 Ericsson T29w Cingular phones before I switched to an 8890 because my T29w would constantly freeze after about 10 - 15 minutes of being "idle" - and it would not receive phone calls or voicemail.

This seems to point toward a faulty SIM... any ideas?

Thanks,
    :LB

(I am cross posting this into the Cingular and Siemens discussions)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max, Apple iPhone Xs Max, Apple iPhone X, Note 9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmmmm.... how did you get access to the Nokia 8390 those aren't out yet how I would love to have one.

The early Pacific Bell 32K SIMS had some problems, does your SIM still read Pac Bell or Cingular on the display? If it reads Pac Bell it may be one of the problem ones.

The Nokia 8290, 3390 come with a new form of SIM lock where the phone is not locked when it leaves the factory, it is universal that way. It locks to the first SIM used, but in Nokia 8290 there is a firmware flaw that if you insert a 16K sim first and then put in the 32K it will say Insert SIM because it does not recognize the 32K as valid. I found this out when I upgraded from 16K to 32K sim and my Nokia 8290 did not work anymore. Lucky for me the rep replaced my phone because he knew about the problem.

The Cingular 32K and Pac Bell 32K sim still use the same network code 310-17. I would see if getting a new 32K sim will solve the Siemens problems, I had the operation failed happen to me on a Cingular branded S40 and an original Pac Bell SIM.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    hmmm, 8390? are you sure it IS indeed 8390 not 8310?
    i know that if i put my singapore's sim card into a North American phone *such as the 8290, 3390, T28Z* and NOT the triband, it would say it won't accept the sim card.

wol

Device(s)
    iPhone 2G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score

Oops... I meant 8290 not 8390...

Sorry guys... I meant 8290, not 8390...

My apologies...

:LB