Page 48 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 98 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your pick(s) as the iPhone "killer"?

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iamthedudeman
    You can include OS 2008 as well if they just add a cell antenna to the Nokia N810 which can certainly be done very easily. Nokia has hinted as much.

actually, the n810 NOT having a cell radio is a plus rather than a negative.
    >:-,

“There's no benchmark for how life's "supposed" to happen. There is no ideal world for you to wait around for. The world is always just what it is now, it's up to you how you respond to it.”
    ― Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by j'vai
    actually, the n810 NOT having a cell radio is a plus rather than a negative.
    Would you rather have an PCMCIA or Express Card slot on there for non WiFi Access? =p
    * iPhone Killer(s)?
    ** Set up most unlocked GSM phones to T-Mobile U.S.A. Over The Air.
    *** Sony Ericsson Product Support (Including OTA Settings) and HERE
    **** Nokia USA OTA Setup

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileobsession
    Would you rather have an PCMCIA or Express Card slot on there for non WiFi Access? =p

???huh?.. what for? bluetoothing to a mobile suits it fine enuff, cdma or gsm.

Device(s)
    LG-DM110
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel (current)
    Feedback Score
    I'm going to take a different tack here. I've yet to see a cell phone actually excel at being a phone. They do all sorts of other things OK, but it is always a compromise. I choose the LG-DM110. It harkens back to what a cell phone was supposed to do (make phone calls away from a corded connection), and does it well and elegantly. I'm seeking a newer replacement for it. The closest so far is the TracFone for $20 at Walmart.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6, SHIELD TV, SHIELD K1, Acer Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GigMormon
    I'm going to take a different tack here. I've yet to see a cell phone actually excel at being a phone.
    Uhh, question: does anyone actually USE their mobile device to make calls anymore?
    This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

Device(s)
    pixel xl
    Carrier(s)
    google fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000
    Uhh, question: does anyone actually USE their mobile device to make calls anymore?

lmao, see? greeeat point!, i think ppl may crave a *mobile pockatable computer that happens to have voice call features somewhere within it*, rather than a mobile phone that crams in computerlike features..

the mobile phone network holds alot of sway over the device & it's features (well here in the US that is) which is why i said the n810's lack of a cellular radio is an advantage, the voip softphone isn't tied to any networking protocol, it's only limit is the wifi pockets that don't cover a far distance.. well, my *n810 4g* upgrade (lol love typing that) should cover me well, & i won't have to camp out in a line to get one.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by npaladin2000
    My mom still calls me on the voice line and I still use voice w/ handsfree when driving. =p

Still, anyone who does feel nostalgic for an old school handset can get on one of these retro bluetooth handsets:

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ^ who makes that?
    I love all my phones but what happens when they get too old to be 'cool' anymore?
    Does my desk drawer become the retirement home?

Device(s)
    LG-DM110
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel (current)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileobsession
    My mom still calls me on the voice line and I still use voice w/ handsfree when driving. =p

Still, anyone who does feel nostalgic for an old school handset can get on one of these retro bluetooth handsets:

Nice! Something I can actually HOLD for a switch instead of these flimsy little doodads. Now if it only worked as well as a phone, then we'd be talking (pardon the pun). Really, how about a decent working and funtional phone?

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by No Nothing
    ^ who makes that?
    ThinkGeek.com

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/8928/

Device(s)
    MT3g
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    instinct by sprint. even has real voice turn by turn gps. iphone will cause a lot of car crashes with people trying to look at a small screen while driving.

the instinct is the Rolex of phones. the best games, best internet, live tv, best e-mail it is a killer of a phone.

Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sprint will never have a Rolex of phones

I doubt the Instinct has maps in its memory. It probably relies on the network. I laugh at this kind of crap.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3120
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Would like that Bluetooth device

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The Vertu line is supposed to be the "Rolex" line of phones.

Too bad they are all Series 40...

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theevilone
    instinct by sprint. even has real voice turn by turn gps. iphone will cause a lot of car crashes with people trying to look at a small screen while driving.

the instinct is the Rolex of phones. the best games, best internet, live tv, best e-mail it is a killer of a phone.
    TeleNav and TomTom are both working on true navigation apps for the iPhone, so (assuming there are no obstacles) that problem may be solved -- though anyone who simply starts driving without checking to see what the iPhone actually does for GPS is probably getting what's coming to them.

As for the Instinct... I don't think you've actually seen what games are on offer for the iPhone. John Carmack from id Software (Doom, Quake) estimates the iPhone to be on par with a PS2 or Xbox, so that's saying something.

The iPhone's Internet access simply stomps on the Instinct, too. The browser is just that much more accurate in displaying pages, and it's a lot easier to control with multi-touch. E-mail is certainly better, too -- the iPhone has true Exchange mail support (Sprint's is a jury-rig) and displays full HTML with a wide range of attachments.

Live TV I won't dispute, although I'd rather watch a full-quality YouTube clip over a QQVGA (that's 160x120) stream of broadcasts that were chosen for me. For that matter, if you really want full-quality TV, go pick up an LG Voyager with Verizon or an LG Vu on AT&T! That's a straight broadcast and not an Internet stream.

Page 48 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 98 ... LastLast