Page 1 of 134 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 2010

Thread: What is your pick(s) as the iPhone "killer"?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Downtown Chicago
    Posts
    1,045
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    0

    What is your pick(s) as the iPhone "killer"?

    There's a lot of discussion (and banter) on whether or not the iPhone is going to succeed in the market. There is also quite a bit of praise and critisism regarding iPhone's features.

    I'm curious to see what other people's opinions are as to what other phones in the market would give the iPhone a run for it's money.

    Off the top of my head I see the Nokia N95 as a serious contender with the Quadband GSM and HSDPA capabilities and WiFi on top of it all. Although it doesn't have a touch screen nor the 8GB capacity, the dual-slider looks promising, as does the large screen.

    The LG KE850 - Prada Phone is probably not a contender in features, but it does make up for it in the looks and prestige area (not to mention the huge price tag). This is for people who have money to flaunt and don't want another "me too" iPhone. Most people in North America will dismiss it due to the lack of the GSM 850 band however.

    Sony Ericsson "Sophia" - Not much word on this phone for Sony as of yet, but I have high hopes for the next incarnation of the Sony Cybershot (5 Megapixel?) Phone.

    Although I have my doubts of any of this coming to light, I'm crossing my fingers that the Sophia will have the better walkman music player on it instead of the generic one, an updated or Symbian OS, Quadband GSM and HSDPA (instead of the usual euro/asia tri-band UTMS), and maybe the release of a 4GB or more M2 card, but I guess we will see.
    * iPhone Killer(s)?
    ** Set up most unlocked GSM phones to T-Mobile U.S.A. Over The Air.
    *** Sony Ericsson Product Support (Including OTA Settings) and HERE
    **** Nokia USA OTA Setup

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    98
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    If it doesn't have 320 x 480 pixels on a 3.5" screen, it doesn't even keep UP with the iPhone, let alone KILL it.

    The only other phone on my short list is the eten X800 (glofiish).

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/15/e...ut-the-qwerty/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Downtown Chicago
    Posts
    1,045
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanMN
    If it doesn't have 320 x 480 pixels on a 3.5" screen, it doesn't even keep UP with the iPhone, let alone KILL it.

    The only other phone on my short list is the eten X800 (glofiish).

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/15/e...ut-the-qwerty/
    The iPhone's screen both size and resolution definitely raises the bar all around.

    The glofish looks great feature wise, I'll have to give it a better look. No mention in the article about the interface. Is is a stylus or direct touch screen?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    202
    Feedback Score
    0
    Depends on what you mean by keep up. If you mean doesn't have the same sized screen, then yes. A phone of the traditional form factor has a perfectly fine chance of doing well against the iPhone.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    6,270
    Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    It's all subjective. Nothing else has a screen that size because nothing else is touchscreen-only.

    I'd pick my HTC Herald over an iPhone, so IMO it's an iPhone killer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,285
    Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileobsession
    ... I'm curious to see what other people's opinions are as to what other phones in the market would give the iPhone a run for it's money....
    THE HELIO OCEAN
    My phone is smarter than your honor roll student.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    6,270
    Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    But you need..... Helio! AHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry. Sorry.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Downtown Chicago
    Posts
    1,045
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by akelley
    The Ocean looks great. I love the dual qwerty/phone-pad slider mechanism. Too bad it's not a GSM phone... =/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    20
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileobsession
    The Ocean looks great. I love the dual qwerty/phone-pad slider mechanism. Too bad it's not a GSM phone... =/
    good thing it's not gsm. sprint's cdma evdo network is much faster than anything cingular ever offered me.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,285
    Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan23
    But you need..... Helio! AHAHAHAHAHA! Sorry. Sorry.
    Actually I love Helio.

    $65 a month gets me:

    -unlimited surfing
    -unlimited pic msgs
    -unlimited sms texts
    -unlimited mobile to mobile
    -unlimited video msgs
    -unlimited intant msgs via msn, yahoo, aim, etc
    -unlimited gps
    -unlimited buddy beacon
    -unlimited nights n weekends
    -unlimited myspace mobile
    -500 daytimes


    All on a 3G network (soon to be 4G thanks to Sprint).
    I really couldnt ask for more.

    Plus, I get The Ocean when it drops this month, with 200 mb internal and UNconstrained microSD size.

    I know it sounds like I work for Helio but I do't.

    I''m just really satisfied with my carrier (finally).



    </rave>

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    1,477
    Device(s)
    N85/k850i/iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jgreer
    good thing it's not gsm. sprint's cdma evdo network is much faster than anything cingular ever offered me.
    Guess you're not in an HSDPA area...very fast. Plus with Cingular...if I'm off their home network, I still get my txtmsgs and data...try that on Helio when your are roaming on Verizon. I do think both carriers have their own advantages, as I have both, so don't call me a hater
    kyle

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    6,270
    Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hey, if you've gotta be on Myspace 24/7 then I guess it's the right company for you

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    1,338
    Device(s)
    Currently: iPhone 3G. Formerly:
    Carrier(s)
    the one with the ampersand
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would not be suprised at all if Verizon gets a version of the Prada Phone (with US bands) as their answer to the iPhone. LG is practically in bed with Verizon anyway (enV, Chocolate, Shine...).

    Motorola is bringing the MING to the US (with EDGE!). They might just sell it unlocked, but I think it'd be a nice fit for T-Mobile. It'll be cheaper than the iPhone or Prada Phone, which fits well with T-Mobile's market segment. Although one wonders why Motorola isn't bring over the ROKR E6 instead...

    Helio's Ocean is also an option for people who want the Google Maps capabilities and tight app integration of the iPhone, but want to trade multi-touch for a keypad and keyboard. It'll also be cheaper than the iPhone and Prada Phone.
    I've had Virgin Mobile, Helio, and Sprint-branded service. My quest to use all of Sprint's brands continues!!1?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Downtown Chicago
    Posts
    1,045
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloRobo
    I would not be suprised at all if Verizon gets a version of the Prada Phone (with US bands) as their answer to the iPhone. LG is practically in bed with Verizon anyway (enV, Chocolate, Shine...).

    Motorola is bringing the MING to the US (with EDGE!). They might just sell it unlocked, but I think it'd be a nice fit for T-Mobile. It'll be cheaper than the iPhone or Prada Phone, which fits well with T-Mobile's market segment. Although one wonders why Motorola isn't bring over the ROKR E6 instead...

    Helio's Ocean is also an option for people who want the Google Maps capabilities and tight app integration of the iPhone, but want to trade multi-touch for a keypad and keyboard. It'll also be cheaper than the iPhone and Prada Phone.
    I like the ROKR E6 (with the quadband/edge updates of course) over the MING. I don't really like the plastic flip of the MING. The RIZR Z6 looks promising too. They all have the newer Linux OS.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NYC QUEENS
    Posts
    1,872
    Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Formerly known as Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by akelley
    Actually I love Helio.

    $65 a month gets me:

    -unlimited surfing
    -unlimited pic msgs
    -unlimited sms texts
    -unlimited mobile to mobile
    -unlimited video msgs
    -unlimited intant msgs via msn, yahoo, aim, etc
    -unlimited gps
    -unlimited buddy beacon
    -unlimited nights n weekends
    -unlimited myspace mobile
    -500 daytimes


    All on a 3G network (soon to be 4G thanks to Sprint).
    I really couldnt ask for more.

    Plus, I get The Ocean when it drops this month, with 200 mb internal and UNconstrained microSD size.

    I know it sounds like I work for Helio but I do't.

    I''m just really satisfied with my carrier (finally).



    </rave>


    I have also thought about seriously getting Helio especially with the Ocean coming out, But everyone I talk to about it tells me not to waste my time being the service is mediocre compared to the better knowns like Cing, Verizon etc:

Page 1 of 134 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 101 ... LastLast

Bookmarks