Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your pick(s) as the iPhone "killer"?

Device(s)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akelley
    that's quite a lofty goal don't you think? 1 out of every 30 americans with an iphone by end of next year?!

guess i'll be one of the 29 with an ocean.

Apple will begin selling the phone in Canada by end of the year and in Europe early next year. That's most of North America and Europe in 2008. I think 10 million units, or a measly 1% market share is not outrageous and probably a little soft.

Device(s)
    Nokia N70 (my first proper smartphone and lovely it is too)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK (good cheap WAP access, even on PAYG)
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a fairly high number considering what's already out in Europe, Blackberries are available over here, but I haven't seen that many of them. The iPhone, and the Ocean for that matter, strike me as more competitors to the Sidekick or the Prada, featurephones, rather than smartphones, and I've yet to see anyone in UK with a Sidekick. Over here, we stick to either proper smartphones (plenty Nokia N73s about and N95 just fly out of Phones 4 U) or low spec to midrange fashion phones (LG Shine for example)

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S II LTE, iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Deathstar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileobsession
    If you look at the iPod in the MP3 market however, there are are plenty of technologically superior MP3/Video players Like the Creative Zens, Sandisk Sansas and the Microsoft Zune, but the iPod brand in general trumps them all in terms of design, aesthetics and ease of use.
    Its hard to take what you say seriously when you include the zune in there It is honestly one giant mistake.. it has the potential, but it is a giant screwup being locked down and disabling the freaking wifi except for a lame playlist swapping and some songs.. most of which disable the sharing function.

However, you forgot a couple, Samsung (well their oversees offerings.. I am still waiting on the BT A2DP version of the yp-t9), iRiver, almost every one of there devices is far superiour to the ipod, and they were around from the beginning with the ipod, but most in the asian market.

Still, change is difficult to come by. I would say that the iPhone in terms of unique user-friendly design is going to be a tough act to follow and many handset manudacturers are going to struggle to come up with competing designs.
    The bold statement above is key.. apple had a head start in the mp3 player market in function and design (yes creative labs had some offerings, bubt they were slow and clunky, and in some cases CD based).

Back to the point, Apple had a head start on the market, and became a household name very quickly. This is specific to the DAP market, they do not have that head start in the cell phone market.

They do not have the experiance that the other makers have, and in what apple took 3 years to develop in the iphone, HTC, nokia, samsung and every other big name cell phone maker can crank out in a few months.

I look forward to the competing products

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    planet at&t w/ media max data plan,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
    Its hard to take what you say seriously when you include the zune in there It is honestly one giant mistake.. it has the potential, but it is a giant screwup being locked down and disabling the freaking wifi except for a lame playlist swapping and some songs.. most of which disable the sharing function.

However, you forgot a couple, Samsung (well their oversees offerings.. I am still waiting on the BT A2DP version of the yp-t9), iRiver, almost every one of there devices is far superiour to the ipod, and they were around from the beginning with the ipod, but most in the asian market.

The bold statement above is key.. apple had a head start in the mp3 player market in function and design (yes creative labs had some offerings, bubt they were slow and clunky, and in some cases CD based).

Back to the point, Apple had a head start on the market, and became a household name very quickly. This is specific to the DAP market, they do not have that head start in the cell phone market.

They do not have the experiance that the other makers have, and in what apple took 3 years to develop in the iphone, HTC, nokia, samsung and every other big name cell phone maker can crank out in a few months.

I look forward to the competing products
    I won't disagree that Zune was a flop, but it had awesome potential and aside from the size of it's HD it was technically superior to the iPod. I could be wrong, but I don't foresee any future version of the iPod to have WiFi, crippled or not, at least anytime soon. Apple seems too deeply entrenched in thier iTunes model too allow it's users to download directly to the device. Even the upcoming iPhone which can theoretically have that feature, doesn't.

As far as I see, in the DAP market only the Apple's iPod can get away crippled or non bleeding edge technology mostly because it is marketed on style and ease of use more than anything else.

I do have to agree that the cellphone market is a much tougher market to penetrate as most of the players out there are well established. I also look forward to see what other manufacturers will put out as their "answer" to the upstart iPhone.
    * iPhone Killer(s)?
    ** Set up most unlocked GSM phones to T-Mobile U.S.A. Over The Air.
    *** Sony Ericsson Product Support (Including OTA Settings) and HERE
    **** Nokia USA OTA Setup

Device(s)
    SoftBank X01HT (InUse)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    my TyTN slaughters the iphone for functionality. i can read QR CODE!!!!!!!!! and my tytn came with the reader! (although i think its free online somewhere)

google maps? yep got that
    a2dp? yep
    infrared to control TVs and dvd players, etc yep, (does the iphone have IR?)
    wifi B/g? yep
    BT 2.0? yep
    3G? yep
    2MP camera? yep
    camera to OCR business cards to outlook? yep (world card mobile)
    choice of BROWSER, PEI, Minimozilla, Opera, Netfront? Yep (i use opera because it kicks ***)
    expandable memory? yep
    removeable battery? yep
    expandable battery? yep (you can do a double sized battery for like 10hrs of talk)
    rediculous amounts of 3rd party software avalible? yep
    GAMES? yep (i like snails)
    no rediculous contract or start up price? yep
    slide out blue backlit keyboard? yep
    skype/VOIP? yep
    ICQ/MSN/Yahoo/Etc or all of them in 1 program? yep
    skinable to anything i choose? yep (wisbar advanced desktop can be used to make it look like anything)
    TCPMP? yep i want to be able to play xvid, or flac, ogg, etc, not fracking AAC or itunes garbage
    weather through my CHOICE in program? yep (i use SPB weather)
    my CHOICE of photo viewer? Yep (resco photo viewer)
    alterations of the OS to my choosing? Yep (registry editor, etc)
    voice command, digit dial, voice browsing, etc? Yep
    regular non propriatary USB? Yep, you have no idea how convinient it is to use just any old Mini USB A cable, these cables come with cameras, mp3 players, phones (motorola), etc
    turn my phone into USB Mass Storage? yep
    swap songs or play songs on any computer, or phone, or car stereo? yep
    changeable faceplate? yep
    video conferencing? yep
    3d graphing calculator? yep (slaughters any TI calc via spacetime)
    mappable buttons ? yep
    wireless scanner? yep (herecast scanner can see hidden networks as well)
    bluejack/snipe capable? yep (theres software out there for fun)
    bit torrent client? yep (i HIGHLY doubt the iphone is capable of BT)
    WOL capability? yep (Wakeitup is free, i can use it to turn on any computer in my house thru wifi)
    voice recorder? yep, record to any format i want,
    unit conversion? yep
    periodic table? yep
    push email and sync with outlook? yep
    sync with my WORK environment? yep
    choice of mapping software to go with GPS, yep i have pocket streets iguidance, tomtom, gps tuner,
    star chart? yep (pocketstars)
    stop watch? yep, Pocket Stopwatch by pocket one
    ring tones without DRM? i have midi, wma, mp3, wav ring tones, i can freely transfer them to whatever i want, i can also make my own or crop midi files and throw them on, same goes for any format of audio
    play music videos or any type of video for ring tone? yep i saw somewhere that you can play a video for an incomming call
    VPN? yep, built in with certificate support
    terminal services? RDP to windows machines? yep
    Word Power point, excel? yep all built in
    play guitar chords? yep, i dont play guitar but i have it
    universal translator? yep i can ask a question and the pda will convert that sentence into a language of my choice (as long as i have the lang pak) this is thru Etaco UT
    dictionary of my choice? yep lextionary, works good
    looks? yep everyone asks me what kinda phone i have.

well if the iphone can beat mine then i will pay my hard earned dollars for it, right now i cant find anything that will beat mine in functionality and price.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ^ In regards to the post above, aside from the higher screen resolution multi-touch, and the "style/coolness" factor, I have to agree, the TyTN whips the iPhone in terms of the afformentioned functionality.

I have no idea how easy or how well I'm going to be able to text on a touch screen as opposed to a full QWERTY pad, but I'd love to test out Apple's implementation of it.

I'm personally looking forward to the HTC Kaiser, the TyTN's sucessor.

Device(s)
    Current: White I9100
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I feel the same way about my Herald, and when the WM6 rom comes out I'll be even happier.

Device(s)
    SoftBank X01HT (InUse)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    ^ In regards to the post above, aside from the higher screen resolution multi-touch, and the "style/coolness" factor, I have to agree, the TyTN whips the iPhone in terms of the afformentioned functionality.

I have no idea how easy or how well I'm going to be able to text on a touch screen as opposed to a full QWERTY pad, but I'd love to test out Apple's implementation of it.

on my jamin i had SPB full screen KB with text prediction, it was ALOT harder to type, you need to reply 90% on your eyes and 10% on your ears to type. the spb keyboard makes a type writer click sound after you hit a key which is convinient, and its way harder with the sound muted.
    where as on a keyboard its more 40% eyes, 40% feel 10% sound

its just hard to type fast and accurately without feel, its like trying to drive a car without feeling the road or anything, you have to look at everything, you dont even know how far down you pushed the gas. you have to look.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    ATTWS
    Feedback Score

I've heard lots of good things about HTC - can someone point me to the Kaiser's specs and a pic or two?
    Gmail thanks to Southbay!

Device(s)
    SoftBank X01HT (InUse)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=733

to the kaiser specs, biggest diffrence between TyTN and Kaiser is USB2.0, 2.8MP Camera, GPS, WM6 (you can get WM6 for TyTN though)

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The screen of the Kaiser also angles out, which i think is pretty cool:

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Gotta love the blatant clones coming out. It looks like Samsung who makes the processors for the iPhone has no qualms selling similar (or better) processors to the likes of Meizu.

It looks like Motorola released the Razr^2 (that's supposed to be a superscript 2) V8 and V9 and V9m(CDMA) as possibly their answer to the iPhone. Each although similar looking will have slightly different feature sets, operating systems, etc. I think the main highlight is the QVGA front AND back screens.

The V8 will be slightly thinner, quadband/EDGE, the newer JUIX OS and up to 2GB onboard memory with no memory slot unfortunately. I'd say it's a good fit got the T-Mobile network.

The V9 will have the same old (possible slightly updated) Synergy OS that most Motorola users know and love (or hate). It will have HSDPA so it's possibly slated for AT&T Cingular and it is touted to have some sort of noise cancelling technology for clearer calls.

The V9M will have the same feature set but with CDMA/EvDO and Synergy or possibly a proprietary OS if it lands on Verizon.

I'd love to see how either pans out.

Device(s)
    Moto i580
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I think the razr2 has already been done and won't cause a huge stir in the market. The MOTO Z8 on the other hand... wow! If Nokia is right and the iPhone at the very least opens more people's minds to the idea of paying higher prices for phones, then the Z8 might just be a device that has the I want it factor. the "kick" slide looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by akelley
    that's quite a lofty goal don't you think? 1 out of every 30 americans with an iphone by end of next year?!
    1 in 30 does sound lofty. But what if you think of it as one out of 10 iPod owners? Of those with nanos and shuffles who don't need tons of memory, many will surely consider iPhone to replace the two devices they currently carry. Hmmm... I'm not saying they'll achieve it for sure; just a different perspective.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Cruise
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosha
    I think the razr2 has already been done and won't cause a huge stir in the market. The MOTO Z8 on the other hand... wow! If Nokia is right and the iPhone at the very least opens more people's minds to the idea of paying higher prices for phones, then the Z8 might just be a device that has the I want it factor. the "kick" slide looks cool.

1 in 30 does sound lofty. But what if you think of it as one out of 10 iPod owners? Of those with nanos and shuffles who don't need tons of memory, many will surely consider iPhone to replace the two devices they currently carry. Hmmm... I'm not saying they'll achieve it for sure; just a different perspective.
    I'm not sure I like the neon highlights of the Z8, but I love everything else about it. I believe Moto went with the Symbian OS because the could not get their Java/Linux platform to work with HSDPA. Although Moto's newer JUIX OS looks promising, especially compared to the extremely dated Synergy OS, I'm even more excited over the proven Symbian OS which will put the Z8 on par with some Nokia's N series smartphones. I'm not sure how well it will stand against the iPhone launch, but it is indeed something worth looking at.

Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 103 ... LastLast