Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My review/rants of the Samsung M620 Upstage

Feedback Score

My review/rants of the Samsung M620 Upstage

I had this phone for about 2 days now and I thought that I would do a review on this phone for anyone looking to buy this phone. I am not going to cover everything about the phone because I am still learning and you can find reviews on the obvious facts of the phone online.

So far I like this phone. I traded my Sanyo Katana for this phone. The main reason why I got this phone was because the ability to play mp3. Other reasons why I got this was because I hated the Sanyo Katana because it had the WORST sound quality of the phones that I've ever had. Also the m620 had a lot more cool factor than the Katana.

Sound Quality
    This is a BIG thing for me. Being someone that has thousands of $$ invested into my speakers(car/home), I know a thing or two about sound quality. The sound quality on this phone is pretty good for talking. It was a lot better than the Katana, but I had better sound quality phone. When talking to people, I was able to hear them clearly without asking them to repeat what they said. When using the speaker phone, you can hear some distortion in sound when you turn it all the way up. The speaker isn't really that loud so if you are in a noisy room, you might have to bring it closer to your hear.
    If you are like me, you bought this phone because of the mp3 player. Sadly, the speaker phone is for music isn't all that. For the size that it is, I can't really ask for much. I just wish it was louder, after all it IS a mp3 phone. But when you pair it up with a decent headphone, it isn't as bad.

Text Message
    If you do a lot of text message, this isn't the phone for you PERIOD! To text, you need to use the tiny little screen on the phone side and it isn't fun.

mp3 phone
    The music player part of the phone is very straight forward. Press the Flip button on the side and flip the phone to the player side, press the play button to load into the player and select your playlist or songs that you want to play and the music will start. One neat thing about the phone is that you are able to "hide" the player and do other stuff on the phone while you are listing to the music. Of course you can't make phone calls but everything else on the player side free for you to do. If someone calls you while you are listing to the music, you can pick it up and talk to them. After you are done, it goes back to playing the music where you left off at.

The control of the music player is pretty straight forward too. To change the volume, press the button on the side of the phone. To change the song, just tape forward or backward. To search for the song you want to play, you have 3 different tabs on the top. One by song title, one by Artist and another by Genres. Searching is done by scrolling through the song so if you have a 2GB card filled with songs it may be hard to search for a particular song.

Sending the song over the phone was also painless. I tried it without installing the drivers and it worked fine. I was able to just drag and drop the file into the folders on the phone. If you do that, you won't have the 3 search tab for searching for your songs. If you install the drivers and the software that it comes with it, it makes it a little bit easier. You are also able to create a playlist if you install it. The speed of sending the files over is pretty quick. I didn't really time anything but it took like 3-5 sec to send a song over.

Battery
    Since I only had this phone for 2 days I only charged it once. I did use the extra external battery that it came with. I know some might not like the idea because it makes the phone bigger and defeats the reason why you bought a slim phone. Personally I love the it because it protects your phone from being all scratch up and it protect you from calling someone while your phone is in the pocket. The phone does have a "lock" button on it, but it is impossible to to lock or unlock without fingernails.

When you put it in, it locks in from the bottom and won't come out until you press the button on the side. When I tried to take it out without pressing the button, it is very hard to do so that was good. I wish they would change the clip on the top so it can snap into either side. What I mean by this is that you can snap the phone to hold it so it face the phone side only. And there is no release button when you want to flip it to use the other side. Again with my fat stubby finger, it took some pratice to prey it out. It isn't as bad as I make it, but I wish they would make a button to release it and the ablity to look into the player side.

The battery life so far as been good with the external holder. I fully charged it and 2 days later, still have full bar on both units. I listen to the player for about an hour or so and talked for about 30 minutes on the phone since I got it.

RANTS

Connection ports
    Since the phone was so slim, trying to connect the charger, usb cable, MicroSD slot or headphone was kinda hard for me. To get to any of the connections, you need to open up the rubber cover to cover it. I have a pretty fat finger with no nails it made it harder. The headphone, the charger and the USB connection use the same slots. Since the phone is so slim, it does not take a standard 1/8" headphone jack, but does come with an adapter. Personally, I think it is kinda hassle to carry and adapter because it makes the wire longer if you don't use bluetooth.

Touch pad(speed and control)
    I still haven't master the touch pad on the player side. I tried to adjust the sensitivity of it but still no real luck. I am sure I will be able to get it down in a few more days. One thing that really bugs me is the speed. There is a sec delay between you touching/moving the pad and the screen. I hope they can fix this with a firmware upgrade.

I hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    yeah i was soooo into this phone only to instantaly forget about it after i saw that lil thing they call a screen....FYI: i love texting

Device(s)
    HTC Arrive (soon to be replaced)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the review superakuma!

Feedback Score
    No edit button on this forum huh?

I will add more to it because I just found another annoying feature.

I thought the case would protect you from making a call when the phone is in your pocket, but I guess it does NOT. When I was at work today I called my house many time while the phone was in my pocket. It was pretty easy to call because all I need to do was accidentally press call two time and it will dial the last number that was called on the phone.

I know the phone has a lock feature on it. As I said before the lock button is on the side, isn't really easy to turn on and off. On the side of the phone is stainless steal so it is very smooth. To turn on/off the lock it is a small slider that you need to slide up or down. To slide it, it can NOT be done without finger nail. If you are a lady that has those really long nail, expect to break a few of them. I am not sure if it is my phone or if all of them are like that, but is is pretty hard to slide.

On top of that, if you have you phone in lock mode, you CAN'T answer a call without first unlocking it. Just little things that kinda bug me about the phone. It might bug me enough to return the phone. Other than that, I love the phone.

I am on the 3rd day on this battery without all the bars still full. Today hardly made any call except for the one that I made accidentally while it was in my pants.

I also notice one thing that could be a deal breaker. The reception on this phone isn't that great in my house. The other two days that I had the phone and made the call, I wasn't at home, I was out so it was fine. I need to test it out at other place that I usually go to to confirm the quality of the phone now. I notice that I had only one or two bars while I had no problem with the reception of the Katana at my house. Like the Katana, the antenna is at the bottom so I made sure that I did not hold that part so I won't block the signal. Even if I lay the phone down, I still only get one or two bar.
    Last edited by superakuma; 04-22-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Regarding headphones, sprint is about to start carrying Motorola Bluetooth headphones. And the Upstage is compatibile.

Device(s)
    A920
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fusiclover
    Regarding headphones, sprint is about to start carrying Motorola Bluetooth headphones. And the Upstage is compatibile.
    My stores have already received them. Pretty cool looking and light weight. Love the rear wrap around style headsets.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint-Nextel
    Feedback Score
    its definately a nice headset, and somewhat reasonably priced at $129.99

Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    I stumbled all over the UI of this phone like grandpa's first time on the internet. It was one of the most unintuitive phones ive ever used. Did Sprint recently fire their usability group?

This cant be good.

The really, really sad part is ... this is a great phone and a pretty phone... if you can get passed the flippy flip UI crap (yeah, imagine trying to enter data into WAP forms), the IPod touch sensitive pad that works nothing like one would expect, and the cheaply made flip button with zero feedback. "Oh wait, it didnt work... let me rotate it to its side and try again".

I mean, seriously, imagine if your laptop had its keyboard BEHIND the screen? And you had to flip it over to enter any data into it? For comfort, it would have a 1 line LCD to help you.

The battery life..understandable....even if the backpack is redicious, i understand the power consumption is a bit out of control on a device that tries to be everything to everybody.
    Last edited by maokh; 04-23-2007 at 07:01 PM.

Device(s)
    a920 (back to)
    Feedback Score
    The phone naturally isn't for a heavy WAP/texter

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tuolumne
    The phone naturally isn't for a heavy WAP/texter

The phone was designed for music, not texting.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Im sure buying music has got to be a blast.

(FLIP!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maokh
    Im sure buying music has got to be a blast.

(FLIP!)
    People buy music from sprint even at $2.50 a pop?

Device(s)
    a920 (back to)
    Feedback Score
    99 cents now

Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    Are they DRM'ed to be only used by the phone....or can you pull them off?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maokh
    Are they DRM'ed to be only used by the phone....or can you pull them off?
    When you download a song from the Sprint Music Store, you get one copy for the phone, and then you get one copy for the computer. All you have to do is log on to sprint.com, go to your digital lounge, and download it.

Not bad for .99 considering your getting two copies for the price of one.

After using this phone in store for awhile, I must say i'm a bit impressed by it. Although I wouldn't recommend the phone for the heavy texter, it's great for anyone looking for an mp3/phone combo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast