Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate guide to tethering & MetroPCS MSL (subsidy code/unlock phone) calculator

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Ultimate guide to tethering & MetroPCS MSL (subsidy code/unlock phone) calculator

Create a dialup connection using your USB or bluetooth with this information:
    Phone Number: #777
    Username: (10DIGITCELL)@mymetropcs.com
    Password: mymetropcs
    Be sure to enable "Advanced" security options (for PAP)

Over CDMA you can expect speeds at about dialup.
    All outgoing ports except 443 are blocked for direct access.
    This means you can only connect directly with: Skype, AIM, gmail, paypal, bank sites, etc and any https site.

For all other sites you either need to use the http proxy wap.metropcs.net on port 3128

or

You can tunnel or set up a socks proxy on port 443.

For all tunneling needs I recommend using Putty to act as a socks proxy, very convenient.

I've also heard you can access 110 for standard pop mail, but I cannot confirm.

Next I would like to figure out how to tether using EVDO, I am currently getting an authentication error. (EVDO can be forced by setting HDR pref to HDR in debug mode on razr)

Maybe someone can help me getting EVDO working on my razr v3m:

And just to clarify when I said "Bluetooth DUN has not been disabled in any way."

On the Verizon V3c (and all other EVDO phones except the E815 w/1.17.03), you can't use #777 EVDO DUN because the phone has the username/password hardcoded in some NVM file. So no matter what username/password you use, the phone will still use [email protected] - so you won't be allowed access unless you get a data plan so that VZW turns on that username in their system.

On the V3c and E815, we don't know where that @dun.3gvzw.com username is stored, so we can't change it.
    But on the 1x network, it is either ignoring the @dun.3gvzw.com, or it uses @3gvzw.com (I don't know which happens). But the fact that you also have to use only PAP authentication must mean something - I just don't know what.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...54&postcount=5

And as promised, an MSL (subsidy code) calculator:
    http://www.editgrid.com/user/juice86...MSL_Calculator

May take some fiddling, but it worked for me.

Someone please mirror this MSL calculator, I'd hate to see it go offline.

Cheers,
    -Osiris.

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Smile Instructions for EVDO fix?

This looks really good and may be the answer to get on EVDO with your metropcs phone!

VX8100 V4 EVDO DUN Fix HOWTO

Feedback Score

beginner question: MSL calculator - what good for?

Quote Originally Posted by osirisx11
    And as promised, an MSL (subsidy code) calculator:
    http://www.editgrid.com/user/juice86...MSL_Calculator

May take some fiddling, but it worked for me.

Someone please mirror this MSL calculator, I'd hate to see it go offline.

Cheers,
    -Osiris.
    Dear Osiris,
    thank you for gathering all the information.

Sorry if this is a beginner question, but what is the MSL calculator good for?

I'd really appreciate your answer,
    best regards,
    tele02

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Well

To get into programming mode there is often a generic phone unlock code which is usually all 0's, and after that there is an MSL/subsidy code which is intended to keep you (or another cell provider) from changing your phone settings to either gain additional features or to go to another provider. The reason for this is money.

The MetroPCS MSL calculator will let you put in your phone's unique ESN (electronic serial number) and gives you back your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock).

A subsidy is a cell provider, like MetroPCS.
    Anytime you see someone asking for an "unlock code" this is what they are talking about.

There are many online businesses that offer this service at a price.

And in case you were wondering, it is legal.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061124-8280.html

Feedback Score

Thank you for MSL explanation

Dear osirisx11,

thank you for your quick response!

This is good to know. Like just coming from Europa, there having GSM & WCDMA phones with a SIM card inside, each time a person would be talking about "unlocking" a phone, it would mean to make the function again for each SIM card and network, when it was locked to just working with one network (like T-Mobile) or even one special SIM card (one telephone number) before.

Just removing the software settings of a network would be called "de-branding".

Thanks for clearing this up. And that it is legal (while this european kind of unlocking, depending on the country you're located in Europe, may not be).

Best regards,
    tele02

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by osirisx11
    Create a dialup connection using your USB or bluetooth with this information:
    Phone Number: #777
    Username: (10DIGITCELL)@mymetropcs.com
    Password: mymetropcs
    Be sure to enable "Advanced" security options (for PAP)
    Actually after some playing with it I've found the username does not matter as long as it has "metropcs" in it, and the password can be blank.
    Also you do not need to choose "Advanced"

Device(s)
    Motorola Q9c
    Carrier(s)
    metroPCS
    Feedback Score

MSL Calc

Anyone tried the MSL Calc yet? I did and I'm not surprisingly somewhat confused. The Hex to DEC conversion seems to do nothing. I could live with that but here is my question, which DEC number i'm supposed to use? The ESN when retrived from the Phone is different than the DEC number on the pones sticker. Either way, the MSL code seems to be more than 6 digits that are suggested by the prompt when asked by the phone.

Any Ideas?

GG

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Red face Yea i had to fiddle with it too

I used my hex ESN listed in my Phone Information screen, I prepended it with a 0.
    Hope this helps.
    Osiris

Device(s)
    METRO R810 MODDED TO STRAIGHT TALK
    Carrier(s)
    GOOD BYE ALLTEL......WE'VE CLOSED THE STORE FOR BUSINESS
    Feedback Score
    OK, first off JUICE 8 is a GENIUS ..... that is the most awesome tool a person in my position could use.....2nd for those who are playing with this tool for some reason when you use it it auto saves the settings so whatever the person did before you...it stays that way....I went in read alittle and was able to return the settings back to original user ....botta bing botta boom...it worked like a million dollar charm.... so basically go into the history....go to the bottom and click switch back.....and there ya go...hope this helps some of the confusion.....B-

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Modem Speed

Be sure to jack up the default modem speed to the maximum for the cell phone connection.

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Backup copies of MSL calculator

Attached is the calculator in XLS and OpenDocument formats. I think it would be great if other people could mirror it in case HF has to take it down.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When the DUN connection I setup dials out (using #777 as the number), I get an MSL03 error. It says the number or calling feature is not accessible or available from my calling plan. I have EVERY option available from MetroPCS, any ideas?
    Dbagjones
    AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) running -G- ROM's v8.Final [OS 20757]
    Motorola i425t for walkie-talkie comm with friends

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    1) You sure you have motorola drivers? I use the ones from hacktherazr.com
    2) What metro area are you in?
    3) Is your phone in EVDO mode? or 1x mode? (blue EV on top or black 1x)

Device(s)
    Razr v3m
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

Modem Init String

Also, I've never needed it but punkboyinsf said he needed to set his modem to use an initialization string of

+crm=1;+cso=33

Device(s)
    AT&T Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the Nokia 6265i in South Florida. It's 1x. The phone dials out no problem (using a DKU-2 cable I got off Ebay for $7.00) when initiating the DUN connection, then I get error 678: Remote computer did not respond. I called MetroPCS and they told me that it isn't possible to do this. I'm sure I could setup a DUN connection using a free service like Juno or NetZero, but I'm trying to avoid this by just using the MetroPCS network.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast