Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: LG 8600 Hacking thread

Device(s)
    Htc desire hd
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chapinrico
    Lg 245 had the same drm protection file thing. and thanks to some nice hofo members there is a way around it. I'm almost 100% this will work on this phone too....here is the post and the link.

http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...&highlight=245

Hi all,
    I've appreciated the past posts on file transfer by truthlesshero, et al. So, I thought I'd add what I've found: basically a summary for image and mp3/ringtone file transfer.

To start, I'm connecting to my LG 245 (Telus) via a bluetooth connection. [I believe there may be USB connectors, and the principle ought to be the same.] From your PC, pair with the phone and connect the bluetooth Serial Port. It should connect on a COM port (ie - COM5 for me). Using BitPim (http://www.bitpim.org/), setup the BitPim Settings to use your corresponding bluetooth/serial COM port. For 'Phone Type', it seems to work with LG-VX8100, 8300, and also "Other CDMA phone". Once configured select the Filesystem icon on the left menu (NB: none of the other functions will work, such as "Get/Send Phone Data"). From the Filesystem menu, you should see your root (/) and various directories: OWS, VoiceDB, ..., brew, etc. At this point you can send files to and from your phone, so we're off to the races.

Images: Ok, so I can't figure out a graceful way to do these... The issue is that the phone's filesystem will not recognize your image files that you transfer via BitPim because it needs to update an index file that tells it how many images it actually has. So the options are: 1) download /dload/image.dat and modify the HEX file. (2) [the easier way] is to take photos (with the phone's camera), rename them and then copy your image file to brew/16452/mp/ using that existing name (ie - overwriting the file). This seems to be the easiest way.

MP3s: For the same filesystem/indexing issue as with the images, you will have to do some HEX/dat file editing. Download a freeware HEX editor online (google it- there are many). So the first thing to do is to copy your MP3 file over to /brew/16452/mds/ (I'm guessing mds stands for MyDownloadedSounds). I suggest cropping the file as you don't need anything too long for a ringtone (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ works nicely for editing mp3s). Anyway, once the file has uploaded to the phone, go to /dload/aod.dat. Delete this file (I suggest backing it up first, just to be on the safe side). Restart your phone (turn off, then on again). The phone will re-generate this dat file and you will now see the MP3 that you uploaded in the list. Unfortunately, it will not be recognized as a ringtone as it's not Telus's DRM-MP3 (ie - Telus's squeezing-blood-from-a-stone method of collecting their fees). Next...the HEX editing:

Download aod.dat to your PC via BitPim and view it in a HEX editor:
    In the file, I see multiple entries - one per audio file. So from byte address 0x00 to 0x93 [#147 in decimal] (that's 0 to 93 in hexadecimal = base 16) is a single entry. Viewing the ASCII representation, starting at 0x00, I see four characters (xx 03 06 04 in HEX) followed by "brew/16452/mds/filename.mp3". Nearer the end of the 0x93 character block, there are two other words of 4 and three bytes.
    For those who care, the first byte/character is a running count, the groups of four and three at the end of the entry block are related to the file's properties (file size, etc).
    So the important part: change the byte at address 0x03 from 04 to 00. Then change the byte at address 0x84 (#132) from 00 to 01.
    Send this updated aod.dat file back to your phone. The first file should be unlocked for use as a ringtone.
    This pattern works for all of the files on my phone. So you can upload more MP3s and edit each 148-character block in the same two positions.
    NB: your phone is only set to take "downloads" up to 5MB, so if you exceed that limit, the aod.dat file will not be regenerated for all of the files. In this case you can enter the 148-byte entries manually.
    If the pattern doesn't work for you, I suggest downloading a free Ringtone from Telus (tocatta, Bach - under 'Free Trial' if you log into the mytelusmobility site. NB: charges may apply for accessing the web via your phone ~5 cents per page). I recommend downloading that free ringtone, viewing your aod.dat file and looking at how it differs. You can then apply those changes to unlock your other MP3s.

Alright, that's what I've found so far. Hopefully, we'll be able to figure out the Java games/apps for this phone too!

Has anyone read this????? this will make ur mp3's work!!!
    The future is friendly......Regretably only by Telus.

Feedback Score
    For those who got confused -
    The easiest way (without touching any files from dload folder) to set custom mp3 as a ringtone is by overwriting the telus free midi file.

1. from browser, go to "free trial", then download the trial ringtone. (tocatta.mid)

2. Rename your custom mp3 file to "tocatta.mid"

3. Open bitpim, then open the folder "/brew/16452/mds/"

4. copy your own "tocatta.mid" into the folder.

5. Enjoy your new version of tocatta

If you check the memory info, the total used size of "download" folder is still 1k, but if you check the file detail, you'll see changed size. Don't worry about it - you can still hear full version of the mp3!

Device(s)
    audivox 8900
    Feedback Score

does this method require a data cable or does bitpim work through bluetooth?
    also, is it probably that there will eventually be an easier method?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know whether the lg data cable is proprietary, or if one from a motorola will work?

If so, if there's anyone out there with the usb drivers for the 8600, I'm sure we'd all love to download them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opium2k
    I got it to work!
    I have the usb driver installed but i dont know if it needs it since I used bluetooth but heres what i did:

1. set up your bluetooth connection and note the com port it uses (mine was comport 5)
    2. open bitpim and go to edit>settings
    3. set the phone type to LG-VX8000 (not sure if it has to be set to this)
    4. manually set the com port
    5. open the filesystem
    6. go to the brew>16452>mds directory
    7. paste your ringtones
    8. go to the DLOAD folder
    9. delete oma_ringtone.dat & oma_ringtonesize.dat
    10. power cycle phone (just right click anywhere in filesystem and select reboot phone) you dont need to "send phone data" in bitpim. a power cycle is sufficient.
    11. check your phone and they should be there

I realize this is basically just a re-post of what has been said before but hopefully it will clear things up for ppl who are/were having trouble.
    For some reason, Bitpim is not detecting my 8600 using bluetooth...

any ideas why?

Thanks

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kil78
    For those who got confused -
    The easiest way (without touching any files from dload folder) to set custom mp3 as a ringtone is by overwriting the telus free midi file.

1. from browser, go to "free trial", then download the trial ringtone. (tocatta.mid)

2. Rename your custom mp3 file to "tocatta.mid"

3. Open bitpim, then open the folder "/brew/16452/mds/"

4. copy your own "tocatta.mid" into the folder.

5. Enjoy your new version of tocatta

If you check the memory info, the total used size of "download" folder is still 1k, but if you check the file detail, you'll see changed size. Don't worry about it - you can still hear full version of the mp3!
    Just thought i would verify that this does in fact work. Good job guys!

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aplen22
    Just thought i would verify that this does in fact work. Good job guys!
    so we can only get one ringtone onto the phone to be recognized?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 9530 Storm!
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    this is the worst hacking thread ever..

Device(s)
    LG 8600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    also having trouble detecting with bluetooth... have the latest mac version of bitpim (only my bro's mac has bluetooth)
    tried with lgvx8000, 8100, 8500, 8600

How did you exactly set up bitpim? (first time using it)

Device(s)
    moto v710
    Carrier(s)
    Unfortunately Telus
    Feedback Score
    With the Bluetooth method Bitpim will not "automatically recognize" the phone. However it does still see it... kinda.
    The only part of bitpim you can access using bluetooth is the filesystem.
    ie. It will say that phone detection failed but you can still go into the filesystem portion of the program and manually edit it.
    I just wish someone would figure out how to effectively bypass the DRM crap cuz at present I'm completely out of ideas

Device(s)
    LG 8600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    How crippled is the 8600 from telus? Did they kill it pretty bad or what?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by opium2k
    With the Bluetooth method Bitpim will not "automatically recognize" the phone. However it does still see it... kinda.
    The only part of bitpim you can access using bluetooth is the filesystem.
    ie. It will say that phone detection failed but you can still go into the filesystem portion of the program and manually edit it.
    I just wish someone would figure out how to effectively bypass the DRM crap cuz at present I'm completely out of ideas
    Still not working for me....i'm getting this in bitpim...I've also tried using the 8000, 8100, 8300, 8500...but no luck

22:36:38.786 COM7: Open of comm port suceeded
    22:36:38.786 LG-VX8600: Attempting to contact phone
    22:36:38.786 LG-VX8600: Listing subdirs in dir: ''
    22:36:42.792 COM7: Changed port speed to 38400
    22:36:47.309 COM7: Changed port speed to 115200
    22:36:55.831 LG-VX8600: No response to AT+GMM
    22:36:59.846 Failed to read filesystem
    22:36:59.867 LG-VX8600: Listing files in dir: ''
    22:37:03.872 COM7: Changed port speed to 38400
    22:37:08.388 COM7: Changed port speed to 115200
    22:37:16.911 LG-VX8600: No response to AT+GMM
    22:37:20.927 Failed to read filesystem
    what's the settings inside your phone, if you don't mind me asking?

thanks

Device(s)
    Blackberry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just wondering whether anyone has tried the Verizon trick for getting ringtones on this phone of sending the file in a pic message to themselves, then saving it to the phone. I'm looking at purchasing this phone, but I'd like to know if there is a non-cable method of putting custom ringers on this phone.

Also, here's the text I copied of another method which may or may not work, just throwing it out there on the off chance it might..

"Put the file on the SD card (the folder you will need to choose is in the LG_MEDIA\other_image. If you want to add a ringer, add it to the other_sounds folder.

Go into the My Media option and choose whatever you added to the card

Move to the Downloaded folder

Scroll over to the picture that you added, press the right soft key which is the options key

Choose Option 5 which is move

This will bring up a prompt asking if you want to move to phone, choose 1 to move it to the phone

If you then take the card out of your phone and look on the card, you will see that the pic/ringer has been transferred from the card to the phone."

Device(s)
    LG 8600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Im getting a similar message.. should i just get a cable to do this? stupid phone companies and their damn greedy ways!!

Device(s)
    LG 8600
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Hey i just got this phone, im a total noob to phones but when i go to add stuff to the SDcard it says that its write protected... wtf is the point of an interface if you cant use it? Its is useless? I want to put some songs and mp3s (for ringers) on it but dont know how. All help appreciated, im a total noob too so not too much lingo please lol.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast