Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reprovisioning Sprint BlackBerry 8703e to Verizon Instructions HowTo

Device(s)
    Current: iPhone, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Reprovisioning Sprint BlackBerry 8703e to Verizon Instructions HowTo

I have been digging around the net to find out how to do this and couldn’t find it anywhere. I managed to make my own procedure tonight and want to document it for anybody else with an idea like I had.

BEFORE ANY OF THIS, BACK YOUR BLACKBERRY UP!!!

Disclaimer: If you hose your phone, don’t blame me, I’m just the messenger!

Endgame: Take Sprint BlackBerry 8703e and use it on Verizon.

Problems: 1. MSL, you need it to even get into NAM programming
    2. Changing MSL. It needs to be 000000 for VZ’s OTA programming to work.

First I called Sprint to have them reprogram my NAM to get the MSL code from them, if you get a new Sprint BlackBerry, just activate it with service on either http://activate.sprint.com or over the phone for a few days so you can get the MSL code from them and try out their very fast EV-DO network. When you realize you prefer the coverage of Verizon, call and cancel (hopefully before the 30 day trial is up) and get to work!

Then I researched BlackBerry sites to figure out if there was some magic programming screen like the ##XXXXXX MSL code screen. (xxxxxx being your MSL, on Verizon it’s 000000.) No dice there.

So I started thinking that since most PDA phones have the MSM chipsets separated from the PDA half, maybe I could just attack the baseband radio directly.

I remembered seeing in Windows device manager that the BB gets assigned two virtual serial ports, on my system COM4 and COM5. Since COM4 shows up in the Phone and Modems control panel, I figured that was the COM port that the BB used for sync, DUN, etc.

I used QPST 2.7 and pointed it at COM5, but problem, the BB uses the MSM6500 chipset, which isn’t in this old version of QPST.

I went on a hunch that Qualcomm probably hasn’t recently updated their basic programming commands to the CDMA chipsets, so I picked a similar and most-recent chip that I could find, the SURF6300-BB looked good, MSM6300 instead of 6500 chipset, BlackBerry variant.

Launched QPST Service Programming, read the phone contents on the Settings tab, after inputting the MSL, it’s then listed on that screen. Change your Sprint MSL to 000000 and then click “Write to phone.”

On any errors it says about “failed to communicate with phone, do you want to disconnect?” keep saying “no.”

Eventually your BlackBerry will freak out with a “Service Required” message and reboot.

After a long reboot, everything works again, and your MSL is now 000000 which will let you OTA on Verizon!

In the event you want to manually reconfigure your DUN profiles, they are also editable within under the Data and M.IP tabs, just in case OTA won’t reprogram them to Verizon settings.

Hope this helps other BB users do with their hardware what they should have originally been allowed to do without all the song and dance!
    As an added bonus, if you want to be sure you’re running as close to a VZBerry as you can, go to Verizon’s support web site (http://support.vzw.com/phones/) and download the Verizon 8703e firmware. Install that package and then navigate to your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and remove the Vendor.xml file so the program won’t know a Sprint 8703e from a Verizon 8703e.

Finally, you’ll need to install Sun’s JDK, and download the BlackBerry JDE 4.1 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/develop...nloads/jde.jsp) so you can get the JavaLoader.exe program that goes in c:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.1.0\bin directory. You’ll want to issue a JavaLoader.exe -u wipe to erase your BlackBerry’s filesystem.

Then launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click on the Application Loader and select your BB’s PIN from the dropdown, select all the packages you want to install from the Verizon OS (I did everything except the DOD certs) and go get a cup of coffee. After about 20 minutes, your ‘Berry will have Verizon 8703e software on it, although it won’t change the Sprint branding because that is hard-coded into the OS deeper than a flash will replace.

After all this is said and done, you should be able to use your BlackBerry on Verizon! Rinse, lather and repeat for another network!

BlackBerry 8703e Provisioning thread

These instructions will let you reprovision a BlackBerry 8703e from Sprint to work on Verizon.

This disappeared off the BlackBerry forums for some goofy reason, I must've done something in my tiredness! Hopefully it won't disappear from here.

--Skuzz

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wait if you get the blackberry from sprint and cancel, don't you return the phone when you cancel?

Device(s)
    xv6700(got it cheap), samsung a990
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    so will this allow GPS on the blackberry 8703 for verizon?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypsx
    Wait if you get the blackberry from sprint and cancel, don't you return the phone when you cancel?
    In my case there was a local CompUSA closing and they had a heavy discount on handsets so I bought a few at the outright buy price + clearance discount for various cell phone hacking adventures.

Also buying a BlackBerry for $250 contract activation price and then canceling service and not returning gets you charged a $200 ETF. This brings the cost to $450, versus the $500 outright-buy price, so you actually save $50 in doing it that way.

This is probably most-applicable to those buying the 'Berry off eBay and the likes, but anyone that happens to have one from a canceled Sprint contract or whatever else it'd apply too.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kleptofall03
    so will this allow GPS on the blackberry 8703 for verizon?
    I haven't had a chance to test the GPS yet. I will attempt to do so and see what happens. My guess is it won't work as I THINK A-GPS needs network support for the GPS to work, and if Verizon's network refuses to help, it won't.

(OTA provisioning may also be able to disable this.)

I will find out as soon as I can and report back though. Anyone else that has done this feel free to chime in one way or the other as well!

--Skuzz

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Interesting lesson learned. Verizon will not activate a BB if it's not in their ESN database. Not sure if this is just BlackBerries or if it is now extending to all handsets, but they weren't able to activate the BB.

So if an admin gets a chance to erase this thread it's probably better to not confuse people with the possibility of getting a Sprint 8703e on Verizon, unless the unlocking procedure itself serves some value.

Skuzz

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuzz
    Interesting lesson learned. Verizon will not activate a BB if it's not in their ESN database. Not sure if this is just BlackBerries or if it is now extending to all handsets, but they weren't able to activate the BB.
    It applies to all Verizon handsets now. Rare exceptions to the Verizon policy exist at the employment risk of the CSR performing the ESN database update. The policy went into effect in Feb 06.

Device(s)
    V3M
    Feedback Score
    Certain Alltel-branded phones will work even today. The Motorola V710, for example. I think it has to do with the fact that the blocks of ESNs for VZW and Alltel aren't broken up, perhaps, but *some* Alltel phones are accepted by the billing system for an online ESN change. I did one pretty recently and it went through fine.

Device(s)
    RIM 9550
    Feedback Score
    How did you get QPST to see your BB? Were you using the USB cable? I have been trying on and off for months without success.

Thanks,
    Shwemp

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kupe
    It applies to all Verizon handsets now. Rare exceptions to the Verizon policy exist at the employment risk of the CSR performing the ESN database update. The policy went into effect in Feb 06.
    Wow, and that was the final nail in Verizon's coffin to permanently lose a customer for life. That rots.

Device(s)
    Samsung M610
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility on M610
    Feedback Score
    Great Thread Skuzz....

Need some help though...I am ok up and till you note the following:

I went on a hunch that Qualcomm probably hasn’t recently updated their basic programming commands to the CDMA chipsets, so I picked a similar and most-recent chip that I could find, the SURF6300-BB looked good, MSM6300 instead of 6500 chipset, BlackBerry variant.

My assumption is you somehow updated QPST but not certain how or where you might have picked up the software for the surf-6300-BB. I have looked for updated versions of QPST (mine is v2.7 build 215) and found nothing, Qualicomm site offers no update....need help.

Device(s)
    BB 9810 is primary
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Another point to be made as well, Sprint will not activate a non-Sprint phone on their network either.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Verizon Blackberry 7250 I'm putting on Cricket. I've got the PRL (voice services) working but I'm trying to program it with the SMS (text messaging) and I'm hitting a snag. QPST is giving me an error message when it reads from the phone stating -

"You entered an incorrect service programming code. The phone will not accept any read or write commands for the next 10 seconds. Please enter your phone's service programming code:" 000000 is the default, but it's not taking. I get a repeat of the same error message.

So I'm trying to use your guide to reset the service programming code. (Which I assume, somehow is abbreviated as MSL?)

Anyway, I'm hitting a snag at this part of your post,

Where is this option at and how do I change it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This thread will probably be useful again now that Verizon is allowing third-party devices to be activated on their network again.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=171

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if this will work for a BB Pearl?

I have a Pearl on Telus (Canada) and have my second line active on Page Plus for when I travel to the US (Just for voice and text).

Everything runs smoothly (voice calls, text messaging, call display, voicemail indicator) without having unlocked the phone, just using it's MSL to program the NAM. The Telus PRL by default has access to the US networks in it.

However I want to unlock it (change the MSL to 000000) so I can OTASP it and get the Verizon PRL on NAM2. This will avoid picking up non-Verizon signals first when in the USA and getting dinged high roaming rates when PagePlus uses non-Verizon towers. I've done this on many phones, but never figured out a way for BB until I saw this thread, however I don't wanna risk bricking my phone if it has never been tested on a Pearl yet.....

Anyone know??

Thanks!

-mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast