Thread: Rogers coverage in Vancouver

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score

Rogers coverage in Vancouver

This is probably going to come across as a rant, but I need to vent my frustrations with Rogers.

I was really put off their recent statement that they have the most reliable network in Canada. I've been using Rogers for several years and IMO they are doing little or nothing to fill in the numerous holes in the coverage in the lower mainland. I'm not talking about obscure places like basement parkades or elevators, but rather main thoroughfares where there's no reason the coverage shouldn't be 100% in such a mature network. I suspect that there are people in every city in Canada who could say the same thing about their coverage problems.

I commute to work between Coquitlam and North Vancouver every week day and there are a bunch of places on major roads where calls drop with regularity (e.g., HWY 1 going up/down the cut between 2nd Narrows and Upper Levels, Hastings in North Burnaby, Burnaby mountain (both sides), etc). Where I live in SE Coquitlam, sometimes I can't even use my phone due to the poor voice quality and dropped calls. Often I have to walk around my house trying to find a spot where I can hear the voice. There are numerous times when I can't even originate a call from my home.

When I heard the Rogers ad, I decided to give them a call on my way home from work to tell them what I thought about their claim. What a waste of time that was. I got the usual BS about how no one else is having any problems so I must be doing something wrong (they haven't talked to the people I know who experience the same thing), or it must be my handset (I've had two Nokias, two RAZRs and am now using a BB 8100, all with exactly the same "problem").

I was put on hold for 15 minutes, then the call dropped so I tried again. More on hold and I finally got through to a person, whereupon I was given a bunch of excuses (above). By this time I was home where the network never fails to let me down. I could barely make out what the person was saying. I asked him if he thought the voice quality was acceptable. He said it was fine so there was nothing he could do. Then the call dropped so I called yet again and sat through more on hold. This time I got transfered to another department where I finally was given an opportunity to raise a TT, not that have expectations that anything will ever come of it.

I'm wondering if Rogers does anything to improve coverage in built-up areas or whether they just ignore complaints about coverage. Has anyone out there gotten a satisfactory response to a complaint about coverage? Is anyone out there from Rogers who can comment on this? Does Rogers test the network and make improvements? What's the best way to report coverage problems, in particular, is there a way to reach the network people directly without having to go through the IVR system?

Anyway, considering how much we pay for the service, I think it's not unreasonable to expect that the network should be improving over time and that dropped calls on a major road should be reducing accordingly.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Q10 (v.3 w/ LTE 2600mhz band)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I've been on every network and have used good and not so good handsets on all networks. The conclusion I have is that it depends on the network deployment but there are holes and weak coverage spots will all service providers. But based on an unbiased opinion, Rogers does have the clearest network with better than average voice quality compared with Telus and Bell. I think to get the best coverage on Fido and Rogers GSM you need a handset with full 850/1900 WITH a handset with a radio that has good RF.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I spend about half of my time in Vancouver and often find myself driving around the areas you mention, as I see clients in their homes and businesses. I have never had any issues with dropped calls and have found coverage all over the Vancouver area to be exceptional. There are always weak spots anywhere you go, that is a given, but I rarely, rarely ever experience a dropped call. I use a Nokia 3220 but also had success with an Audiovox SMT 5600.

In Victoria, there are a couple of spots that give me trouble (Cadboro Bay Village area and Deep Cove by the Ferries). Cadboro Bay always puts up a fuss whenever a company tries to put up a tower and Deep Cove has an extreme Valley that I live in which seems to cause issues, That's not really Rogers fault, as reception goes up to full when I go to the top of the hill half a minute's walk away.

All in all, I am very happy with Rogers network and their service.

Device(s)
    LTE Hotspot 763S (Fido $50 Unlimited Data)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I agree with sedin26, my experience has been positive with Rogers. The only areas that I have problems with are in the downtown core, in between large concrete skyrises; but this happens with my Bell phone too. In fact, I have more problems with dropped calls on my Bell phone in Vancouver than on my Rogers phone.
    Line 1: $60 BYOD Holiday 2017 Plan
    Unlimited Canadian Voice
    Unlimited International SMS/MMS
    10GB Data

Line 2: $50 Unlimited Data
    ZDATA (no Voice/SMS capabilities)
    Unlimited Data (GPUNL)

Device(s)
    R520
    Feedback Score
    I am from Toronto and I go to Van 3 to 4 times a year. Last time was Jan. I went every where. N Van, Deep Cove, W Van, Downtown, White Rock, .... No problem at all. I was carrying a A56, with 850/1900.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wow I don't mean to rain on your rant because it appears that your frustrations are justifiable... But I've been with Rogers for years and have never had a problem with reception or holding on to a call while commuting from Coquitlam to North Van and back. Infact Rogers holds on to a call perfectly in my neck of the woods where as Telus was unuseable and Fido (pre-merge) was barely useable. 850 has also done wonders for reception in elevators and carparks...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black 128 GB
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'd have to agree with the others...Vancouver has great reception on Rogers/Fido GSM.

The biggest thing I found is...use a handset with good RF, and you'll never have problems.

Note: 850 MHz is essential!

I haven't tried the V3 RAZR or Pearl on Rogers...but the RAZR is known to have good reception on the CDMA networks, so I assume the same to be true on GSM. Nokias are really good for reception, and I doubt I drop more calls than I could count on one hand in a year, and for the last year I've been using a Nokia 9300b (with 850). Before that I was using the 6820b and it had about the same reception/quality.

When I first got my Unlocked Cingular 8525 a few weeks back the firmware that was on it was causing dropped/poor quality calls, but since I've updated to the latest ROM (minus the carrier updates that install on first boot) I haven't had a dropped call since, and the quality is amazing.

I mainly use my service in Richmond and downtown Vancouver, but I drive all over the GVA and in those areas you have mentioned I don't recall ever dropping a call or having reception/quality issues.

Perhaps...if you are commuting there during really high traffic times, there's not enough spectrum available to handle all the calls, and some calls will end up getting bumped in favour of new calls coming in, or quality will go down as more people are sharing the network. Do you ever notice an unlock icon appearing during calls where the quality is degraded or prior to a call dropping? If you did, that would signify that call privacy is getting bumped in favour of supporting more calls at once from that tower you are on.

As luck would have it, when the new UMTS/HSDPA network is live and people start getting new 3G phones, the spectrum should fit a lot more users. Then we'll be subject to some of the problems of CDMA networks though, with cell coverage shrinking as more users are sharing it at one time, and quality dropping as many users are on at once.

Either way you cut it, Rogers seems to have a pretty solid network out here, and I look forward to the 3G that's coming. Rogers is the only provider that seems to have perfect reception in the basement of Vancouver Community College in downtown...when I had compared a Telus phone side by side the reception was low and when in my pocket had a flakey signal. Where I lived before Telus was also marginal while Rogers was 100%. But it all depends where you live/where you use it. If you live next to a Telus tower and work in an area where there's a Telus tower on the roof, maybe they would be a better network for you.

GSM does have the better call quality, and there are few if any who will dispute this. There also must be logs of dropped calls so the carriers can compare, otherwise I doubt Rogers would be making the claims they are.
    The views expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect that of my employer.

Feedback Score
    I was just in BC and got great reception everywhere I went.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've only experienced Rogers and Telus, and so far Telus is better by far. In one year of usage with Telus, I have never had a dropped call, never even lacked a little bit of clarity. Every single call was perfect, and reception was great except in places that have shielding, where the GSM seems to be able to reach a bit better.

Now with Rogers, the clarity of my calls are commonly quite bad, and depend a lot on the direction in which I'm holding my phone. And I've had 3 dropped calls in a week of use.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5, Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clicknext
    I've only experienced Rogers and Telus, and so far Telus is better by far. In one year of usage with Telus, I have never had a dropped call, never even lacked a little bit of clarity. Every single call was perfect, and reception was great except in places that have shielding, where the GSM seems to be able to reach a bit better.

Now with Rogers, the clarity of my calls are commonly quite bad, and depend a lot on the direction in which I'm holding my phone. And I've had 3 dropped calls in a week of use.
    You know what........and I don't mean to disrespect or flame you. I simply find it impossible that in a years worth of usage (unless you only made a few calls) that you never dropped 1 single call, had a call connection issue or garbled sound with Telus. I've used every cellular network in our fair country during the last 17 years and have personally owned over 100 phones and tried countless others. And I've dropped calls on every phone and every network at one time or another. It happens, it's the nature of wireless
    Last edited by Bhagwan; 03-05-2007 at 08:53 PM.

Device(s)
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I use to get dropped calls with my Motorola C333 (I was being cheap, ok?) and V300. Been without any problems since I switched over to an SE S710a and more recently, an SE W810i.

I find that the overall coverage in the Lower Mainland has been very good whether I'm at home, work or out about town. I generally don't drive and talk while on HWY 1 so I can't comment on that.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Never had any major problems in my 9 years with Fido. (Ironically, I left Rogers for Fido because Rogers coverage used to be terrible...lol)

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson w810i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhagwan
    You know what........and I don't mean to disrespect or flame you. I simply find it impossible that in a years worth of usage (unless you only made a few calls) that you never dropped 1 single call, had a call connection issue or garbled sound with Telus. I've used every cellular network in our fair country during the last 17 years and have personally owned over 100 phones and tried countless others. And I've dropped calls on every phone and every network at one time or another. It happens, it's the nature of wireless
    I didn't make all that many calls, that's for sure. Probably 200 minutes or so a month. My experience with Telus was that I either had perfection or nothing (meaning no reception). Who knows, maybe I got lucky. I'm not too far in my electrical engineering degree, but from what I understand, CDMA tends to have more of the "all or nothing" behavior than GSM.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphonejunky
    I've been on every network and have used good and not so good handsets on all networks. The conclusion I have is that it depends on the network deployment but there are holes and weak coverage spots will all service providers. But based on an unbiased opinion, Rogers does have the clearest network with better than average voice quality compared with Telus and Bell. I think to get the best coverage on Fido and Rogers GSM you need a handset with full 850/1900 WITH a handset with a radio that has good RF.
    I have a Nokia 6620 that's one of the best in RF department and I still have problems. Regularly around 29th Ave station.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clicknext
    I didn't make all that many calls, that's for sure. Probably 200 minutes or so a month. My experience with Telus was that I either had perfection or nothing (meaning no reception). Who knows, maybe I got lucky. I'm not too far in my electrical engineering degree, but from what I understand, CDMA tends to have more of the "all or nothing" behavior than GSM.
    On the West coast, this seems to fit my experience. When Rogers people call me, the reception from them can vary to a significant degree (although much better than it used to be). On Telus, I'm either very clear, or dropped all together.
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole