Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Current AT&T GoPhone Rates/FAQs

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nite.crawleR
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone can explain how the prepaid plans work in the USA. I am travelling to San Francisco in June and I would like to bring my iPhone and use a prepaid plan. I have a 3.1.2 iPhone JB with Blackra1n so I can unlock it so that aspect won't be a problem.

I am assuming AT&T would be the carrier I would need to get the prepaid from. I've been looking on their website about their "GoPhone" plans but I'm 100% sure I understand how it works. All I need is some anytime minutes and data (~100MB should suffice).

I could just get a travelling package with my current provider that would give me:
    - $25 for 40 minutes or $40 for 70 minutes (to be used locally or internationally)
    - $60 for 70MB data

so approximately $85.

Would unlocking my phone and using an AT&T prepaid card be better?

Thanks for the help!

You could do it cheaper, but it would be much more complicated. It would involve buying an international calling card once you reach the USA (different from what puts money on a cell phone) costing approximately $25, reprogramming your phone for AT&T internet (and reprogramming it again once you are back home), and monitoring your internet usage to prevent going over the 100 MB package (at $20 per package) before buying another one and billing at $10.24 per MB. Add to that having to buy an AT&T SIM and at least a $50 card and you are at $50 anyway. Using this method you have to dial a 1-800 number to make international calls from the US (the direct method is $2-$5 a minute compared to the 25cpm local rate plus 35 cpm or so with a prepaid card) For 50 minutes international (at 60cpm, figure $30) plus 35 minutes or so in-country (at 25cpm, figure $9) plus a 100 MB package ($20) you are looking at approximately $59 in phone costs for your trip, and that is talking a SIM out of a dealer for free with a top-up. The question would be is it worth it for saving $41? If you travel here several times a year, it would be worth it to have a cheap phone set up for AT&T (comes with SIM for $30 or so). If you are a once in a blue moon tourist, your home carrier's rates sound reasonable to me. You certainly don't want to pay $2 a minute direct dialing home with an AT&T SIM! If you go with AT&T prepaid, make sure to use an 1-800 or 1-876 international prepaid calling card as well (60 cents compared to $2+ per minute, you'd be crazy not to do this with an AT&T prepaid).

See below -- calls to Canada are now 19 cents a minute. Completely changes my advice. Please disregard international rates posted above.
    Last edited by mharris127; 08-24-2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Change in price of international call

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I'm headed to california for about 3 weeks (from Canada).
    Is it possible to get the data add on without having to load on minutes?
    Most of my contacts are through Blackberry Messenger ... so text wouldnt really be required.
    I'm addicted to mobile technology and blackberry.
    twitter

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Funds added to a GoPhone balance can be used for any purpose. There are no minutes associated with GoPhone accounts. Balances are reported in dollars only. A BlackBerry wll only work as a regular phone. You cannot use intrinsic BlackBerry functions with a GoPhone account. You can only send SMS and talk on the phone.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    If there's an answer to this upstream, mea culpa, but what is the current number of times you can stack a $19.95 MediaNet purchase? If I had a $100 balance, could I immediately stack 5 MediaNet buys so as to have 5x data available?

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You can have up to three purchases of the same type active. Three limited purchases bought at the same time would not give you ninety days before expiration. They would be used consecutively and the total would expire thirty days from the date of the last purchase. Unlimited features such as messaging would have the second and third package begin on next day after the previous package expired. There would be no period between the unlimited package when you would not have unlimited features.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I have a laptop with an embedded Gobi WWAN card and was trying to decide whether or not to use the gophone method of getting the $19.95 MediaNet package and then using for WWAN access. But since getting to the sim is a matter of taking out and putting back in 6 screws, I don't think I want to be doing that once a month.

Feedback Score
    So I can't buy and use the data plan on pay as you go if i'm using iphone 3g jailbroken? Just want to make sure i'm reading these new at&t rules right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogon View Post
    If there's an answer to this upstream, mea culpa, but what is the current number of times you can stack a $19.95 MediaNet purchase? If I had a $100 balance, could I immediately stack 5 MediaNet buys so as to have 5x data available?
    You can add up to 300MB of data (if you have 201MB and try it add 100MB it will not add anything, according to AT&T).

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, formerly Bell Mobility (4 years), formerly Telus Mobility (Since '98, ended 2010) - 13 years
    Feedback Score
    I couldn't find the answer, but if I've got a GoPhone SIM with $0.00 balance and it goes beyond the expiry date, plus the 60 grace period, is the SIM and phone number tied to it dead, or do I just need to reactivate it.

The reason I ask is I don't plan on using the prepaid SIM much, but I want to keep the same phone number that I've registered. So if I go 6-8 months with a $0.00 balance, is the whole thing cancelled and I need to get a new SIM and phone number?
    But on the plus side, I knocked over the SunSphere.

Muh Plan:
    U/L Canadawide Calling
    U/L Picture/Video/Text Messaging
    5 GB Data
    $55/month less 10% for BYOD

The Former Abbywack-A-Mole

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by abbywack-a-mole View Post
    I couldn't find the answer, but if I've got a GoPhone SIM with $0.00 balance and it goes beyond the expiry date, plus the 60 grace period, is the SIM and phone number tied to it dead, or do I just need to reactivate it.

The reason I ask is I don't plan on using the prepaid SIM much, but I want to keep the same phone number that I've registered. So if I go 6-8 months with a $0.00 balance, is the whole thing cancelled and I need to get a new SIM and phone number?
    Once the expiry date is reached, the balance is zeroed out. Once the 60-day grace period ends, the phone number is gone and you will need to get a new SIM card.

Device(s)
    Samsung T201G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Tracfone / Net10)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mharris127 View Post
    You could do it cheaper, but it would be much more complicated. It would involve buying an international calling card once you reach the USA (different from what puts money on a cell phone) costing approximately $25, reprogramming your phone for AT&T internet (and reprogramming it again once you are back home), and monitoring your internet usage to prevent going over the 100 MB package (at $20 per package) before buying another one and billing at $10.24 per MB. Add to that having to buy an AT&T SIM and at least a $50 card and you are at $50 anyway. Using this method you have to dial a 1-800 number to make international calls from the US (the direct method is $2-$5 a minute compared to the 25cpm local rate plus 35 cpm or so with a prepaid card) For 50 minutes international (at 60cpm, figure $30) plus 35 minutes or so in-country (at 25cpm, figure $9) plus a 100 MB package ($20) you are looking at approximately $59 in phone costs for your trip, and that is talking a SIM out of a dealer for free with a top-up. The question would be is it worth it for saving $41? If you travel here several times a year, it would be worth it to have a cheap phone set up for AT&T (comes with SIM for $30 or so). If you are a once in a blue moon tourist, your home carrier's rates sound reasonable to me. You certainly don't want to pay $2 a minute direct dialing home with an AT&T SIM! If you go with AT&T prepaid, make sure to use an 1-800 or 1-876 international prepaid calling card as well (60 cents compared to $2+ per minute, you'd be crazy not to do this with an AT&T prepaid).
    UPDATE: The AT&T website states that using AT&T for calls from the US to Canada is now 19 cents per minute. That changes my advice completely. Direct dial using the cell phone would be the best bet for calling Canada from the US on AT&T prepaid.

FYI: Calls to Mexico are between 10 and 26cpm.

Feedback Score
    Hi people,

Just a question about the SMS bundle for AT&T PAYGO (since I just bought the LG Prime off Amazon): does the 200/1000 SMS have an expiration date? And are they just SMS sent or SMS sent/received?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMick View Post
    Pay as you Go service:
    Data rates:
    ~ $0.01/kb data (packages available - $4.99/1mb, $9.99/5mb, $14.99/10mb, $19.99 unlimited)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdales27 View Post
    So I can't buy and use the data plan on pay as you go if i'm using iphone 3g jailbroken? Just want to make sure i'm reading these new at&t rules right.
    Do they still offer those data packages? I can't find any mention on their site. I am wondering if I can use pay as you go with iPhone and have data, too.

Device(s)
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Monthly
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Refreshes GoPhone Plans

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=6702

AT&T announced today several new GoPhone plan options, which go into effect starting Sunday, October 3. GoPhone customers can take advantage of the Unlimited Daily Talk and Text plan now for $2 per day (on days the phone is actually used). GoPhone will also offer an unlimited talk and text plan for $60 per month, and an unlimited talk and text plan with 200MB of data for $75 per month. Last, AT&T is offering new Simple Rate plans that charge $0.10 per minute for voice calls.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    The $2 daily plan from AT&T is a big deal -- it matches both Cricket and Boost on the price point, and matches Cricket on only being charged on days you use (Boost charges every day). It seems that anyone who might NOT use their phone on a given day should switch from the $60 plan to the $2 daily plan, because if you use it 29 days or less a month, the $2 daily plan charges you less.

I have several AT&T clearance phones that include $30 of credit.. now it goes from 10 days of chat to 15, pretty good.

Press Release http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...pcode=consumer

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast