Thread: Harassing Calls/text from 555-555-5555

Device(s)
    Treo 700wx
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Harassing Calls/text from 555-555-5555

I've been getting harassing prank calls from blocked out numbers. Texts i understand they use a PC they can send a text without a return number. What I do not get is how they are CALLING me from number 555-555-5555 and filling up my voice mail box with bombs from a made up number? Is there even a way to block this? This person keeps sending me voice mails from the above non existant number and so far I've found nothing I can do about it.

Device(s)
    Motorola KRZR K1m
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    wow this is creepy. DEFFFFFinitally call sprint !

Feedback Score
    its someone calling from a spoofed number. Not hard

Device(s)
    LG Fusic (LX550)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint - Power Up!
    Feedback Score
    You could change your number.

Device(s)
    Treo 700wx
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNET2000
    You could change your number.
    I've been a sprint customer for 1 day, kind of a bad day. Although webpage listed my work area in a good coverage area, get 0-1 bars everywhere. Guess this is what sprint considers dark green well covered area, town even has a sprint store (fort stewart/hinesville area, georgia), would think coverage wouldn't be so lousy.

All surrounding towns use alltel towers and roaming, which is good at all. But my understanding of the roaming contract was that it is voice AND data, but data services do not work for me when roaming on the alltel towers. Don't know if that will be a permanent problem or just possibly a syncing issue with subscriber information. Also noticed while roaming when i access voice mail it actually directs me to leave a message as if I was not calling from own number. Not so bad using ** to get into admin options but just another small quirk/roaming bug to go with other roaming bug of phone not switching back to sprint tower unless I disable/enable phone on treo.

Hoping to get all these issues worked out in time. On bright note, It's nice to actually USE phone from my bedroom without driving down the road 2 miles and hooking old nextel to a car repeater to make a call.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    China Unicom
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SANYO 6600: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-9000/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Data roaming only works on certain phones. If you didn't get a phone that supports it, you won't be able to data roam even if the service is available.

Device(s)
    Samsung A900, Treo 700wx, Samsung M610, HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TProphet
    Wirelessly posted (SANYO 6600: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-9000/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

Data roaming only works on certain phones. If you didn't get a phone that supports it, you won't be able to data roam even if the service is available.
    Yeah he is right - I know the treos, and the m610 data roam, don't know about the others offhand.

As for the calls from 555-555-5555 it's really not that hard; I used to work with voip (way back when incoming and outgoing calls were free on certain services) and with the right setup all you have to do is enter the number you want to be identified as. Not much you can do to block it; changing your number is really the only certain way. You can have sprint block the number, but then whoever is doing it will likely switch to something like 666-666-6666.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow46236
    Yeah he is right - I know the treos, and the m610 data roam, don't know about the others offhand.
    Most data roaming is only 1X, not full EVDO... which will do, for now I guess. It's better than being up a creek when roaming and need data access.

Device(s)
    M610
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Too bad your Treo doesn't have call blocking like the Fusic can do. In my opinion, I think this should be on all phones. Although if you had the Fusic you'd still be getting the texts because you can't block those. But you should definitly call Sprint about this. When someone in my family was getting prank calls a lot and still occasionally does she called Sprint and they were not very helpful, I think they offered to give her a temporary number or something like that. But other than that they weren't helpful. Sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you can get it cleared up.

Device(s)
    Treo 700P Sprint(Best Phone Ever!!!!)
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Try a progam called buzzoff. I'm not 100% sure if works for the wx but I'm sure there is a program that will take care of that for you

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    If you have tons of options of blocking calls and texts with the treo 700wx. I use this prog called Photo contacts pro which has call filters. There are also SMS filters also go to the ppc forums and ask around or just use google.

Feedback Score
    I have also received fake calls but today it was from strange phone number 555-555-5555. Most of call blocked apps do not have much info about this phone number. Lot of people have reported it as spammer but still we can't locate the owner.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by choti View Post
    I have also received fake calls but today it was from strange phone number 555-555-5555. Most of call blocked apps do not have much info about this phone number. Lot of people have reported it as spammer but still we can't locate the owner.
    It's not a valid phone number. There is no "owner"
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by choti View Post
    Is resurrecting a 12 year old topic from 2007 a new record?

Anyway, if anyone is interested, it is easy to block texts with Sprint.

Text "BLOCK <the-phone-number> to 9999" (without the quote marks)

Text Help to 9999 for more info.

This only works with Sprint. It works on their MVNOs too.