Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Google Maps/GMail Applications on Blackjack

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx (Platinum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

HOWTO: Google Maps/GMail Applications on Blackjack

I have finally managed to get Google Maps and GMail working 100% on my Blackjack, without constantly asking me whether the applications should be allowed permission to connect. Other Java midlets may work, but are not tested. (Unfortunately, Opera Mini does not work, but you can use Opera for Windows Mobile Smartphone instead.) This will serve as an interim fix until Samsung/Cingular releases an update to fix the problem with JBlend for good. (In the meantime, PLEASE keep those calls to Cingular and Samsung coming to keep the pressure on them!)

To make this work, you must install a new Java MIDP2 environment. (Don't worry, you can uninstall it later if you wish without any harm.) For this task, we'll use IBM's Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment, AKA J9, version 6.1. You will then need to download the appropriate .JAD files and install them via the midlet manager.

Step 1: Download the .CAB file from here onto your PC and copy it via ActiveSync to the My Documents folder on your BlackJack.

Step 2: Download the Google Maps and GMail JAD files onto your PC and copy them via ActiveSync to the My Documents folder on your BlackJack.

Step 3: Disconnect ActiveSync.

Step 4: On your BlackJack, go to Start > Applications > File Explorer. Navigate to the My Documents folder if necessary. Click on the J9.cab file to install it.

Step 5: Make sure you have a working network connection! (Test with IE.) Return to the My Documents folder via File Explorer. Then, click on the gmaps-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2_L1.jad to install it, and then, on the gm-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2.jad to install it.

*** MODERATOR NOTE: IF THE DOWNLOAD LINK DOESN'T WORK, PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR AN ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD LINK . ***
    Last edited by bobolito; 12-06-2006 at 03:52 PM.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thinlyveiled
    I have finally managed to get Google Maps and GMail working 100% on my Blackjack, without constantly asking me whether the applications should be allowed permission to connect. Other Java midlets may work, but are not tested. (Unfortunately, Opera Mini does not work, but you can use Opera for Windows Mobile Smartphone instead.) This will serve as an interim fix until Samsung/Cingular releases an update to fix the problem with JBlend for good. (In the meantime, PLEASE keep those calls to Cingular and Samsung coming to keep the pressure on them!)

To make this work, you must install a new Java MIDP2 environment. (Don't worry, you can uninstall it later if you wish without any harm.) For this task, we'll use IBM's Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment, AKA J9, version 6.1. You will then need to download the appropriate .JAD files and install them via the midlet manager.

Step 1: Download the .CAB file from here onto your PC and copy it via ActiveSync to the My Documents folder on your BlackJack.

Step 2: Download the Google Maps and GMail JAD files onto your PC and copy them via ActiveSync to the My Documents folder on your BlackJack.

Step 4: On your BlackJack, go to Start > Applications > File Explorer. Navigate to the My Documents folder if necessary. Click on the J9.cab file to install it.

Step 5: Make sure you have a working network connection! (Test with IE.) Return to the My Documents folder via File Explorer. Then, click on the gmaps-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2_L1.jad to install it, and then, on the gm-Generic-Advanced_MIDP2.jad to install it.

I would love to try this but I went to the site to download j9.cab and it was just the words Download J9.cab but nothing to download???
    Last edited by bobolito; 12-18-2006 at 08:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx (Platinum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jdec141
    I would love to try this but I went to the site to download j9.cab and it was just the words Download J9.cab but nothing to download???
    You need to (1) ensure JavaScript is enabled in your browser and (2) wait a few seconds for the link to appear.

Device(s)
    Blackjack (Samsung i607)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Sweet!!!

thinlyveiled,

You rock!!! One quick question before I try this...does this replace the file association such that all .jad files that would have once been handled by Jblend are now handled by the IBM Java app? If you uninstall the IBM version, is the assocation restored? Or is there some other easy way that this assocation can be undone should they ever free Jblend?

Just wondering what the uninstall path looks like before trying it.
    Last edited by bobolito; 12-11-2006 at 05:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx (Platinum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by foolio75
    does this replace the file association such that all .jad files that would have once been handled by Jblend are now handled by the IBM Java app? If you uninstall the IBM version, is the assocation restored?
    Yes and yes. It's a clean install/uninstall. After you remove J9, the JBlend associations will be restored.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Nice work !

Now go study for those finals . . . .
    Last edited by jhruth; 11-29-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Blackjack
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone report if using this version of Java also corrects issues with opera and other Java based applications?

If no answers I will be testing this later tonight.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great work. I have followed the steps you provide and *almost* everything works. Install = fine. Permissions = fine. Maps = fine.

Gmail gives me the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected server response: -1 null

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Michael

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx (Platinum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vwkismet
    Gmail gives me the following error:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected server response: -1 null
    Does this occur before or after the midlet is installed? In any case, it's probably just the phone temporarily failing to connect. Try again.

Feedback Score
    I've tried quite a few times - before and after other programs connect. It installed fine and I get the menus and all - it just won't load the inbox. When I hit refresh, the same error comes back.

Michael

Device(s)
    AT&T 8525
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does this apply to the 8525 as well? Google maps locks up all the time on mine and is constantly asking if it is ok to access the internet.

Feedback Score
    Sorry - ignore me. I just kept trying and it finally worked. Maybe it was a Google glitch. Who knows! Thanks for the good work.

Michael

Device(s)
    ATT 8525
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Fantastic work... Quick question before I try this tho tonight when I get home. Will this work if it is installed or copied the files onto the micro sd card? I would like to avoid installing things onto the phone if nessessary. Thanks
    Last edited by bobolito; 12-11-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3xx (Platinum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tiptoekirk
    Fantastic work... Quick question before I try this tho tonight when I get home. Will this work if it is installed or copied the files onto the micro sd card? I would like to avoid installing things onto the phone if nessessary. Thanks
    You can copy the CAB and JAD files to your card, but they'll install onto the phone - no way to avoid it. Sorry.

Device(s)
    Blackjack (Samsung i607)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    You can copy the CAB and JAD files to your card, but they'll install onto the phone - no way to avoid it. Sorry.
    That's not true, when installing the J9 app it lets you select whether it's installed on the phone or the storage card. Mine installed on the storage card and worked fine. Didn't see a way to select for the midlet but I supposed if you copied it to the storage card it might work.
    Last edited by bobolito; 12-11-2006 at 02:32 PM.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast