Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 51

Thread: prepaid dilemma

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,082
    Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lak0923
    BigGunn,

    To me it seems that with Cingulars 1.00/day plan if you use voice, you pay 1.00/day and if you just text you just pay text fee. Not certain if that is correct but that is how it sounds.
    Not BigGunn but I can answer your question. The $1.00/day applies only to voice calls. There is no daily fee if you are texting only.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0

    Thanks for Florida report

    Thanks, Lil Talker.

    Sounds good. Since they are a couple that largely sticks together, my relatives may hedge their bets by using PagePlus for the Verizon coverage and AirVoice as an inexpensive GSM backup. I was previously suggesting Speakout's Sprint coverage to accompany the GSM, instead of PagePlus Verizon. I now doubt it would have been any more reliable, indoors or out, though otherwise comparable in overall costs.

    Kev

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    945
    Device(s)
    Nokia 2128i
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus on VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi
    Thanks, Lil Talker.

    Sounds good. Since they are a couple that largely sticks together, my relatives may hedge their bets by using PagePlus for the Verizon coverage and AirVoice as an inexpensive GSM backup. I was previously suggesting Speakout's Sprint coverage to accompany the GSM, instead of PagePlus Verizon. I now doubt it would have been any more reliable, indoors or out, though otherwise comparable in overall costs.

    Kev
    Kev, no problem. Outdoors I usually have from 5 to a full 7 bars and indoors between 3 and 5. But I've never had any problems at all indoors with PagePlus. And I've only had 1 call in 6 mos. that dropped outdoors before it went thru but I simply redialed and all was fine. I do know the cellguru on his site has recently "raised the status" of AirVoice as a Cingular MVNO. So if they want 2 services, you might have the winning combination.

    Regarding Sprint, I tried out a Virgin phone recently and was somewhat surprised that at least in the places I tried it, coverage was similar to my Verizon. I say somewhat surprised because I have relatives here on Sprint who sometimes do have indoor issues. And who seem to have a more dropped calls overall.

    In any case, best of luck to your relatives!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    945
    Device(s)
    Nokia 2128i
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus on VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Talker
    Outdoors I usually have from 5 to a full 7 bars and indoors between 3 and 5.
    Correction. I had forgotten I had a full 7 bars inside a pizza joint until yesterday when I had a full 7 bars inside a mall! Cingular is also noted for good service there. Sprint spotty. And TMo? TMo is noted for little or no service at all in there!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    827
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6010 (2) unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    Packet8 VOIP, TMO2GO, Boost,
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi
    Thanks, Lil Talker.

    Sounds good. Since they are a couple that largely sticks together, my relatives may hedge their bets by using PagePlus for the Verizon coverage and AirVoice as an inexpensive GSM backup. I was previously suggesting Speakout's Sprint coverage to accompany the GSM, instead of PagePlus Verizon. I now doubt it would have been any more reliable, indoors or out, though otherwise comparable in overall costs.

    Kev
    To clarify, SpeakOut uses Cingular native coverage, not Sprint.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    945
    Device(s)
    Nokia 2128i
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus on VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty11
    To clarify, SpeakOut uses Cingular native coverage, not Sprint.
    Actually I remember reading here about a Sanyo phone on Sprint which Speak Out now offers. And there is actually a thread on the SO forum about this.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    27
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, Speakout's GSM (still) uses Cingular but at some point they also began offering CDMA phones on the Sprint network. I think the features on Sanyo phones are really good and for a short time I was ready to reccommend getting one offered by Speakout. Then I read about their monthly one-dollar "e911" fee and the likelihood that the coverage will be limited to just Sprint's native network, (though their brochure and their phone reps say confilcting things about the roaming in each of their plans). So it looks more unreliable and potentially more expensive than the getting Verizon from PagePlus or even Airvoice (which offers a GSM service using Cingular as well as CDMA via Verizon.) Actually I would be the most interested in Alltel "U" prepaid-by-minute, which considers both Alltel and Verizon towers as "in-network", if only their phones and refills were available in the right areas.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    945
    Device(s)
    Nokia 2128i
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus on VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    Kev, Alltel doesn't work for me because I want a local number and I don't like the idea of paying for voicemail deposits and retrievals even from a landline. Also their TOS said something about potential cancellation if too much usage is outside their own service area. Some posters say this only applies to postpaid at the moment however.

    And I know someone on the forum said Alltel CS would not allow them to open an account in PA being outside an Alltel area. Others have reported they've been able to do so in other places. But if your relatives don't care about a LD number, voicemail, etc, they possibly can get a Stuart number from Martin County.

    It would have to be tried over the phone with a rep however rather than online. Because when you put in a Stuart zip online but then change it to your true billing address, the system changes the zip. So they would have no way of knowing what area to provide a number from.

    Page Plus still works great for me though with a local number, free voicemail, and without the loops to jump thru and I like that they now offer the convenience of refills over the phone with a credit/debit card. Best of luck to your relatives whichever way they go.
    Last edited by Lil Talker; 12-13-2006 at 10:13 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    46
    Feedback Score
    0

    airvoice wireless gsm

    Hi everyone

    Airvoice does'nt sound bad, pretty good infact. If anybody has tried it or have it can you please let me know if it is a good service? and what it offers?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,503
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    A question about TMO, say:

    On Jan. 1 2006, I bought $100 for 1000 minutes. At Dec. 31, I have $70 (or 700 min) left and I add $10 (35 min).

    Will I have 700+35=735 min for the next year? or 80/10*35=280 min?
    Please don't PM me, unless it's a private issue.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,044
    Device(s)
    C510a, W610i
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T-mobile;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixup
    On Jan. 1 2006, I bought $100 for 1000 minutes. At Dec. 31, I have $70 (or 700 min) left and I add $10 (35 min).

    Will I have 700+35=735 min for the next year? or 80/10*35=280 min?
    Never have we ever heard an account of anyone ever losing minutes because they did a refill. While the answer is not exact, you should have no less than 735 minutes after applying the $10. Probably quite a few more. TMO calculator does not screw the customer. I am thinking you may actually get 65 bonus minutes.
    Prepaid Rocks!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,082
    Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Fixup -

    Tszefr is correct. If your minute balance is 700 and your dollar balance is $70.00, adding a $10 card will do this:

    Minute balance: 700 + 35 = 735
    Dollar balance: $70.00 + $10.00 = $80.00
    $80.00/735 = 0.108844

    Decrement rate rounded down to 0.10
    New minute balance = 800 minutes ($80.00/0.10)
    Net bonus minutes = 65 minutes

    If you start with a $100 balance, you can maximize your bonus minutes by adding a low value card while still maintaining a 10c/minute rate. In your case, 708 would have been the "sweet spot" to add a $10 card, which would have netted 75 bonus minutes while still maintaining a 10c/minute rate.

    I run the numbers on a $10, $25, $50 and $100 card to see the maximum bonus minutes I will receive at any given point, even if it means temporarily raising my per-minute rate. If you're always at a 10c/minute rate, adding a low value card to temporarily increase your rate is the only way to actually maximize bonus minutes as a low 10c/minute (i.e. 10.1 - 10.3) rate will not net maximum bonus minutes if you keep adding high value cards all the time. In general, I've found that alternating between a high(er) value card and a low(er) value card seems to be the best strategy.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,503
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Wow, that's much better than I thought! Basically you keep everything you have and might even get more.

    In comparison, VZW postpay is at least $40/mo, that gives you 450 minutes, about $0.09/min. Why people still (over) pay $40 every month?

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    4,082
    Device(s)
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dd78749
    Fixup -

    Tszefr is correct. If your minute balance is 700 and your dollar balance is $70.00, adding a $10 card will do this:

    Minute balance: 700 + 35 = 735
    Dollar balance: $70.00 + $10.00 = $80.00
    $80.00/735 = 0.108844

    Decrement rate rounded down to 0.10
    New minute balance = 800 minutes ($80.00/0.10)
    Net bonus minutes = 65 minutes

    If you start with a $100 balance, you can maximize your bonus minutes by adding a low value card while still maintaining a 10c/minute rate. In your case, 708 would have been the "sweet spot" to add a $10 card, which would have netted 75 bonus minutes while still maintaining a 10c/minute rate.

    I run the numbers on a $10, $25, $50 and $100 card to see the maximum bonus minutes I will receive at any given point, even if it means temporarily raising my per-minute rate. If you're always at a 10c/minute rate, adding a low value card to temporarily increase your rate is the only way to actually maximize bonus minutes as a low 10c/minute (i.e. 10.1 - 10.3) rate will not net maximum bonus minutes if you keep adding high value cards all the time. In general, I've found that alternating between a high(er) value card and a low(er) value card seems to be the best strategy.
    EDIT: After correcting my Excel spreadsheet, the 65 bonus minutes remain the same on a $10 (35 minute) GR refill at $70 (700 minutes) but the above quoted 75 minutes on 708 was inaccurate. It would still have been 65 bonus minutes and not 75. Sorry for any confusion due to my faulty spreadsheet formula.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,503
    Device(s)
    HTC Touch Diamond
    Carrier(s)
    Boost CDMA
    Feedback Score
    0
    dd78749, thank you. such minor details really do not matter. the point is: the choice is pretty much between tmo (gsm) and p+(cdma).

    tmo: any gsm phone, all local numbers, data
    p+: vzw phones, limited local #, largest coverage, no data

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks