Thread: NL Prepaid?

Feedback Score

NL Prepaid?

I am looking for a Prepaid SIM, I will be in Netherlands next month. Who has the best rates but also allows roaming in other countries? Also, where to buy?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    it would be cheapest bought in NL... but if you can't wait... http://search.ebay.com/netherlands-sim_W0QQfromZR40

Feedback Score
    But which carrier? Is T-Mobile the best? Cheapest? Also I do not speek dutch, do I need antything else Dutch ID? Personnummern?

Feedback Score
    Go to www.prepaidgsm.net there are operators pages for each section of the world...you will find on the drop down menu Europe and then you can go to the Netherlands section and read up on the rates....for the most part I have found over the years rates do not dramatically differ between local carriers nor do policies regarding shelf life of the sim card but indeed there are differences.

The other factor is the ability to set the voice menus to English...some of them have it...I know before my days with United Mobile I had a sim card from Vodafone NL...as I don't make all that many local calls my prime use of it was to receive calls and to use it as a conduit to ld cards or callback services to call home to the USA. I was able to do so and was able to keep it active for a while as it has a one year shelf life; others have shorter shelf lives. But I did find Vodafone NL perfectloy adequate.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Hi
    Feedback Score
    Vodafone and Hi generally have the best reception. I would get a Hi-prepaid SIM card since the text messages only cost about €0,09. But then again, reception is practically good everywhere. So you could just as easily go for T-Mobile, Orange or Telfort. Telfort is the cheapest, the big advantage of Orange is your number will always be valid (unlike other providers who deactivate your SIM-card after one year of no use, along with your bought airtime).

Every provider allows roaming in other countries. To conclude my post: it doesn't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by joako2
    But which carrier? Is T-Mobile the best? Cheapest? Also I do not speek dutch, do I need antything else Dutch ID? Personnummern?
    No, you won't need any ID. Cell phone numbers don't have to be registered to a name in The Netherlands.

As for buying a SIM off eBay: I wouldn't recommend it, it'll probably a lot more expensive and you can buy a SIM card on every corner, especially in a big city.
    Last edited by MarcoC; 10-24-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Feedback Score
    Also, how about for callling to the number? I need to forward my calls,everyone has free inbound? What area code will the nuimber be in either +31-6, +31,8, +31, 9 right? If you roam are the rates the same?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Free incoming calls apply to most Western European countries and that applies to any part of your SIM card's home country. Once you cross the border or roam on any other international network, then you're going to pay for incoming calls.
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Carrier(s)
    Hi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joako2
    Also, how about for callling to the number? I need to forward my calls,everyone has free inbound? What area code will the nuimber be in either +31-6, +31,8, +31, 9 right? If you roam are the rates the same?
    Incoming calls are always free here ? The number will start with 06, followed by eight digits. +31 is the country code of The Netherlands . 0612345678 would be +31612345678 if you're calling from outside The Netherlands.

Roaming makes the calls alot more expensive, even incoming calls aren't free anymore I think. I don't really know actually. Count on high costs when roaming.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    Correct, incoming calls aren't free when you roam outside of the Netherlands.