Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is EGSM / Quad-band GSM

Device(s)
    moto q9h (^_^)
    Carrier(s)
    cingular since the start
    Feedback Score

gsm questions!!

i know iam a noob and i admit that...so please dont flame me for such a trivial question.

what the heck is EGSM? i see it on the newer N searies phones from nokia.

also since the n95 said that it is quad band EGSM (from nokiausa web site:"EGSM850/900/1800/1900 MHz ") does that mean i can use it in the unitedstates, on cingular network?

thank you

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For the purposes of this discussion, consider EGSM synonymous with GSM. If you're interested, you can read more about GSM here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGSM

The Cingular network runs on either or both (depending on location) the 850MHz and/or 1900MHz frequencies. Since the phone supports both frequencies, yes, you can use it on the Cingular network.
    signatures? off.

Feedback Score
    Correct me if Im wrong but I believe that the E in (EGSM) stands for Extended. So its Extended Global System for Mobile? Not quite sure what it is though LOL.

Device(s)
    Nokia N71
    Feedback Score
    I dont think that makes sense

Feedback Score
    Ok I left out the "communication" part so its Extended Global System for Mobile Communications

Device(s)
    Acer Liquid E
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    they have been using the "E" even before the 850mhz came around.
    it used to be the EGSM 900mhz before. i think they only use it for the GSM frequencies below 1000mhz.

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    WIND GR
    Feedback Score
    Well, EGSM (or more correctly EGSM900) is none of the above and it is not present in the US.

EGSM is the Extended 900Mhz band for GSM. This means that some frequencies above the already allocated 900MHz band for GSM (all around the world except some countries in America) have also been allocated for use by GSM in order to extend its spectrum. Almost all new GSM 900 devices after 2001 support this extended spectrum.

Since the 900 band is not used for GSM in the US and Canada, the EGSM band on phones sold to customers in those countries is just for use in other countries. Probably people in countreis where the 850/1900 bands are used for GSM haven't seen this acronym before because most phones sold there are triband with the 1800 band and not the 900 band supported, although the extended-900 band or EGSM900 has been there on phones sold everywhere else since the beginnings of the decade.
    In varietate concordia

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VteK
    Correct me if Im wrong but I believe that the E in (EGSM) stands for Extended. So its Extended Global System for Mobile? Not quite sure what it is though LOL.
    E is Extended but it referrs to an "extension" of the original 900 MHz band used in Europe. When GSM became popular some governments added about 10 MHz more of spectrum to one end of the original GSM band. The first GSM phones could not access these channels but phones designed for EGSM could. I can't imagine any 900 MHz phone these days not being EGSM.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    T-Mobile MDA II w/Plantronics M3000 (Primary)
    Carrier(s)
    E-Plus (DE)
    Feedback Score
    EGSM 900 has grown more important since some spectrum-swapping has occurred here in Germany where E-Plus and O2 have now gained some GSM 900 spectrum. In return, they've given some GSM 1800 spectrum to T-Mobile Germany and Vodafonr D2 who have been using GSM 1800 for about 6 years to operate backup/overflow GSM 1800 sites.
    Born/Raised: Redwood City, CA, USA
    Live in: Cologne, Germany (May 2004)
    German (Fluent) and English (Fluent)

Nokia Series 40 and Series 60 Reset Codes:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=640135

Prepaid Options for Abroad:
    http://www.prepaidgsm.net
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=622551

Worldwide GPRS settings:

http://www.access-sys-eu.com/GPRS_Settings.95.0.html

Device(s)
    moto q9h (^_^)
    Carrier(s)
    cingular since the start
    Feedback Score
    okay...so i cant use the n95 over here at the US eventhough it has egsm850?
    my primary service is cingular!!

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    WIND GR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo26
    okay...so i cant use the n95 over here at the US eventhough it has egsm850?
    my primary service is cingular!!

There is no such thing as EGSM 850!
    There is EGSM 900, GSM 850, GSM 1900 and so on! EGSM only exists for the 900 band (not used in the US).

If your phone supports the 850 band or the 1900 band you can use it in the US! The EGSM thing doesn't affect the US.

Device(s)
    moto q9h (^_^)
    Carrier(s)
    cingular since the start
    Feedback Score
    hmmm...but if you go here http://www.nokia.com/nseries/index.h...US#product,n95 and click on the technical specifications it says "Operating Frequency
    • WCDMA HSDPA 2100 and EGSM850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • Automatic switching between bands and modes
    " see EGSM850...so what does that mean?

Device(s)
    Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    WIND GR
    Feedback Score
    It means that the 900 part is also EGSM (extended).
    It's a typo or a way to express the same thing in a different way.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6680
    Carrier(s)
    Telia
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmmour
    It means that the 900 part is also EGSM (extended).
    It's a typo or a way to express the same thing in a different way.
    Yes, exactly. To be strictly correct, I suppose they should have written GSM 850/1800/1900/EGSM900, but since the E applies only to 900 its kind of understood.

In any case, the device will definitely work on all commercially deployed GSM bands anywhere in the world.

Device(s)
    Any phone I am given
    Feedback Score

Egsm

There is no such thing as a trivial question. No such things as a stupid one either.

Extended GSM is purely a marketing name for the addition of some extra frequencies that GSM can use. In the old days, GSM worked on 900MHz. Then the UK decided to add 1800MHz and later the USA adopted GSM as PCS1900 and stuck it on 1900MHz. These are the three bands of a tri-band GSM mobile. Then later some extra spectrum was added in the 800MHz band and EGSM was born.

I guess this is all said before in the thread, but GSM actually stands for Groupe Special Mobile the CEPT group that started it. Later the acronym was hyjacked by the GSM Association and became Global System for Mobiles. At the time a consultancy was asked to think of a new name for GSM and at a cost of 40KEcus they came up with GSM...nice if you can get it.

Interestingly, in the early days when it was being designed it stood for "Great Software Monster", and later when there were not many mobiles on the market it stood for "God Send Mobiles".

GSMMAC

P.S. come and join us at http://forum.mobileusergroup.com/. We are new, but we have aspirations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast