Thread: Pre-pay Go Phone: Will any unlocked or non-Go phone cingular phone work?

Device(s)
    Siemens CF62T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Pre-pay Go Phone: Will any unlocked or non-Go phone cingular phone work?

Hey, I have a SE z300a, a crap phone that freezes on me at least 10 times a day. Do I HAVE to get the specialized gophones or can I get a regular cingular phone or unlocked phone and just pop in my SIM card?

I know on the other major carriers pre-pay plans using unlocked phones typically works, but why do I have a feeling that Cingular's Go Phone system is different?

Thank you very much, I'm sure this question pops up now and then, but I wasen't able to find it via the search engine.

-TL

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can get any regular unlocked phone and stick in the Go phone SIM.

Reason I think this is that I bought a Go phone and put my sim in it, and it works like any other regular a' phone.

HoFo member number 284654

Device(s)
    Siemens CF62T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks man, but before I drop a couple bills on a new phone, has anyone tried the oposite? Put your Go-Phone SIM in a regular phone?

Thanks again for the response.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrleung21
    Thanks man, but before I drop a couple bills on a new phone, has anyone tried the oposite? Put your Go-Phone SIM in a regular phone?
    Thanks again for the response.
    Yes I am doing it now and have in the past with cingular's GO Phone as well. I have a postpaid 6030 now that I am using, and before this one I had a V557 that I bought off Ebay and unlocked it so I could use it on TMobile and Cingular's network. Cingular stores will sell you the postpaid phones for your GO Phone service, but you will have to pay the full retail price for them.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS, Apple iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Digicel Panama, MTN Ghana
    Feedback Score

Pre-pay Go Phone: Will any unlocked or non-Go phone cingular phone work?

I've been using an unlocked V551 with a Cingular Go-Phone prepaid SIM for over a year with no problems. I have had Cingular CS set up my account to allow picture mail and WAP internet service (a per KB charge applies) as well as text messaging (.05 per text sent or received). Since Cingular pre-paid phone cards can be had for 60c on the dollar on eBay (there is a seller right now selling $15 refill cards for $9) it is actually cheaper than post-paid since I pay no taxes and have free M2M. I think that any Cingular branded GSM phone will work as a Go-Phone even if it is locked to Cingular.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My sister uses what was originally a post pay Nokia6620, as a prepay phone now with no problems.