Thread: Software updates causing problems

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8100
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Software updates causing problems

Several complaints:

I was traveling to mexico and i called VZW CS to make sure there was nothing i had to change with my plan to make calls from baja california. according to the rep i was fine, except i should update my moto v710 phone with the *223 or whatever. first of all there's hardly any service in mexico for my phone(digital or analog). not to mention none of my calls would even go through. second of all ever since i did the updates my phone locks up and crashes all the time when i do text messages or use the web. it just so happens i'm due for a "new every two" phone soon. I swear they timed it so i would want to buy a new phone.

honestly i'm getting sick of vzw. international roaming sucks compared to a quad band GSM phone.(i can't be bothered to rent a gsm phone from vzw) VZW cripples bluetooth functionality no OBEX, etc. phones are so locked down as far as loading mp3's or anything that i don't download through their "get it now" BS. mobile web on this phone has always sucked just like the camera. (it may be 1.3mp but it looks like a snowstorm) plus switching to GSM means i can swap sim cards and have multiple handsets. all i have left to say is the vx9900 better be the best thing since sliced bread.

Device(s)
    DROID by Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The VX9900 won't be the best thing since sliced bread so it's time for you to leave Verizon.
    >>Recent Cellular Phone History: ...Motorola RIZR Z6tv, LG VX9100 enV2, Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola DROID, Google Nexus One, HTC Tattoo, Apple iPhone 4

Motorola Droid [Gingerbread GPA12 with 1.00Ghz_LV_V0.1.zip 450MHz/1GHz Interactive via Peter Alfonso]

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I swear that some of these "members" have dual personalities. It almost seems like some Cingular troll has two accounts and every now and then they will sighn in under thier second account and come over here and post some stupid *** thread like this one. I have NEVER heard of a PRL update makeing a phone crash with mobile web and text messages, that does not even make sense. I even worked for two years at a VZW store as a tech, and not even then did I ever see or hear about this. It MIGHT cause you some service issues(when GOOD SIDS are pulled) but other then that I dont think so. If you think CDMA is such a hassle, and GSM is "the best thing since sliced bread", then please do yourself a favor and take your number and go sighn up with Cingular or T-Mobile. Why hassle yourself with CDMA, it such a terrible technology I mean come on now. What are all 55 million of us(Verizon only) thinking by sticking with this crapy technology. oh and wait, why is Verizon outgrowing every single other cell company, and looseing the least ammount out of the major players??????? What is going with the American public, how stupid can we be. i mean GSM is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better, yet we stay with CDMA and its growing soooooooooooooooooooo quick.................... Un-real
    The US Department of Justice said today:

"AT&T could obtain substantially the same network enhancements that it claims will come from the transaction if it simply invested in its own network without eliminating a close competitor..."

It's The Network, That Never Stops Working For You.

Verizon Wireless Customer Council member since August 2006. Currently Testing: Motorola Droid Bionic

Device(s)
    bb storm2
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by strungout
    Several complaints:

I was traveling to mexico and i called VZW CS to make sure there was nothing i had to change with my plan to make calls from baja california. according to the rep i was fine, except i should update my moto v710 phone with the *223 or whatever. first of all there's hardly any service in mexico for my phone(digital or analog). not to mention none of my calls would even go through. second of all ever since i did the updates my phone locks up and crashes all the time when i do text messages or use the web. it just so happens i'm due for a "new every two" phone soon. I swear they timed it so i would want to buy a new phone.

honestly i'm getting sick of vzw. international roaming sucks compared to a quad band GSM phone.(i can't be bothered to rent a gsm phone from vzw) VZW cripples bluetooth functionality no OBEX, etc. phones are so locked down as far as loading mp3's or anything that i don't download through their "get it now" BS. mobile web on this phone has always sucked just like the camera. (it may be 1.3mp but it looks like a snowstorm) plus switching to GSM means i can swap sim cards and have multiple handsets. all i have left to say is the vx9900 better be the best thing since sliced bread.
    did you do *228 in a vzw native area. because it wont work if roaming on other carriers. may explain why your phone is acting up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frito
    I swear that some of these "members" have dual personalities. It almost seems like some Cingular troll has two accounts and every now and then they will sighn in under thier second account and come over here and post some stupid *** thread like this one. I have NEVER heard of a PRL update makeing a phone crash with mobile web and text messages, that does not even make sense. I even worked for two years at a VZW store as a tech, and not even then did I ever see or hear about this. It MIGHT cause you some service issues(when GOOD SIDS are pulled) but other then that I dont think so. If you think CDMA is such a hassle, and GSM is "the best thing since sliced bread", then please do yourself a favor and take your number and go sighn up with Cingular or T-Mobile. Why hassle yourself with CDMA, it such a terrible technology I mean come on now. What are all 55 million of us(Verizon only) thinking by sticking with this crapy technology. oh and wait, why is Verizon outgrowing every single other cell company, and looseing the least ammount out of the major players??????? What is going with the American public, how stupid can we be. i mean GSM is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better, yet we stay with CDMA and its growing soooooooooooooooooooo quick.................... Un-real
    Soooooooooo True.

White Plains, NY (Home) Ithaca, NY (College)
    Device(s)
    LG EnV + Moto H500
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    you can rant all you want in HERE.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nevermind the fact that the next step for GSM is W-CDMA.....

Yeah, CDMA sucks hard. :-P
    I'm just here to inform, even if it's myself.

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8100
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i'm sorry i've said bad things about the almighty verizon wireless. i never said cdma was the problem. i mean i love the coverage in remote areas in the states(although sometimes it's analog). i'm just getting over vzw BS. i don't have cingular, i never have. before i had verizon i had nextel. before that i had tdma at&t. i just noticed how my friend's gsm razr made and received calls like we never even crossed the border. all the way into southern baja he had no problems. where as my phone couldn't make a call to save its' life. even 2 miles away when we lost the san diego towers leaving tijuana (digital or analog). i don't want to turn it into a rant (although i admit i already did because i was frustrated) i wanted to know why i couldn't place calls in mexico and why my phone was crashing after doing stupid PRL updates. i'm obviously not going to get any help from you verizon zealots. i'm sorry i asked.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 3; Samsung Convoy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think matthewc1 posted a possible answer to your problem but I can see how it may have been lost with some of the other posts.

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8100
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    oh yes i obviously did it in my home network. sorry didn't post that in my reply

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mosherkl

W-CDMA isn't the same as CDMA, and VZW won't be using it, AFAIK. W-CDMA is different from GSM in that it uses a CDMA air interface, whereas GSM (and iDEN, for that matter) use a TDMA air interface. However, besides a CDMA air interface, W-CDMA and CDMA are not the same, just as GSM, TDMA, and iDEN are not the same.

Think of it like AM and FM. These terms describe how a signal is modulated, but just because a signal is modulated using frequency modulation doesn't mean an FM radio can receive it, even if it's an audio signal. Likewise, the video signal a TV station broadcasts is modulated using AM, but an AM radio can't do a thing with it, not only because of the transmission frequency but also because the two services are not the same; only the modulation scheme. As you might have guessed, TV audio is FM, and it just so happens that the transmission method and broadcast frequency are close enough to FM radio that an FM receiver can get audio for a station on channel 6. However, it can't fully receive the audio, since, even if that station is broadcasting in stereo, the radio can't decode it, since FM radio stations use multiplex stereo and TV stations use Multichannel Television Sound (MTS).

So please don't compare W-CDMA to CDMA. They aren't the same thing.
    The 411 on Free 411
    Hanging Up on Telemarketers
    Need to waste some valuable time? Read my blog![/COLOR] Marion's Time Waster

Device(s)
    LG-VX3200
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Lmfao he probably messed up his phone on his own, for cryin' outloud he said *223! WTF.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mosherkl

Nevermind that W-CDMA IS NOT the same as the CDMA in use today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCDMA

The next step for GSM IS NOT W-CDMA-

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/3g/faq.shtml#q0

"Developed by the global GSM community as its chosen path for 3G evolution, UMTS is one of the International Telecommunications Union's (ITU's) family of third-generation mobile communications systems. UMTS uses a W-CDMA air interface, which lead some to refer to the technology as simply W-CDMA, creating confusion in the marketplace. "

Edit-Oops, sorry about that Al, I guess I kinda repeated what you already said, well, the links are an addition anyway
    Last edited by ilvla2; 09-15-2006 at 03:04 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2
    Edit-Oops, sorry about that Al, I guess I kinda repeated what you already said, well, the links are an addition anyway
    Hey, links are always good. I was just too tired and lazy to look anything up.

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8100
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    lmfao indeed. next time you have something worthless to say, just don't. I said *223 because at the time i couldn't remember the exact digits. notice the "or whatever"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast