• FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger



    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - T-Mobile US Incís (TMUS.O) proposed $26.5 billion tie-up with Sprint Corp (S.N) won formal approval from the Federal Communications Commission on Wednesday in a vote split along party lines, two sources told Reuters.

    Chairman Ajit Pai and two Republican commissioners voted to approve the deal while two Democratic commissioners voted against it, the sources said.

    The text of the approval order is not expected to be released until later in the month.

    The deal to combine the third and fourth largest U.S. wireless carriers, which has been fighting for government approval since April 2018, still faces a lawsuit brought by a group of state attorneys general, headed by New York.

    The lawsuit against Sprint and its parent company Softbank Group Corp and T-Mobile and its parent Deutsche Telekom AG argues the deal will lead to higher prices for consumers. A trial date has been set for Dec. 9.

    The U.S. Justice Department approved the deal in July.

    Under the Justice Department deal, the companies would divest Sprintís prepaid businesses, including Boost Mobile, to satellite television company Dish Network Corp (DISH.O), and provide it with access to 20,000 cell sites and hundreds of retail locations. That deal is worth about $5 billion.
    Source: Reuters

    ---------
    Andrew Currie has been blogging about mobile phones since 2001, smartphones (depending on how you define them) since 2002 and smartwatches since 2014.
    ---------
    This article was originally published in forum thread: FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger started by acurrie View original post
    Comments 116 Comments
    1. shilohcane's Avatar
      shilohcane -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
      You make it sound like Comcast will be upset when you “FIRE” them. More than likely they could care less, and will probably tell you to go pound sand anyways since your not a high revenue customer. And no I have no love for Comcast.
      I have had 6 outages from Comcast in both Cable TV and Internet that was between 4 hours to 28 hours in just the first 7 months of this year. The last time was in July and they just left 500 feet of cable above the ground that feeds 40 homes in my block. I have called them to bury it but every time they show up they claim they are the wrong group to bury it since July 10th. Last week I went to the city to try to force them to bury the cable. I am of 6 people on the HOA board for two hundred homes and Comcast’s 10 year contract ends in one year with the HOA. Comcast gets over $143,000 a year on our HOA contract that only includes basic cable TV with HBO but that doesn’t include Internet that cost me a extra $60 a month. I am going to do everything I can to fire Comcast from the entire HOA. I couldn’t care less if I cost Comcast $300K plus a year. I won’t have any problem when Comcast tells me to pound sand like you say. There is not one home owner in the entire HOA that likes Comcast.
    1. CanadianAngela's Avatar
      CanadianAngela -
      Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
      That's cool, and I have no doubt that T-Mo can provide an affordable base level of wireless internet to those who require it. Some people get by just fine using LTE as their primary internet source today, and this will certainly be an improvement over that.

      What I'm skeptical of, is that they'll have the capacity to provide a service that's competitive in quality and cost to an incumbent, traditional wired ISP. "5G" is all well and good for device-to-tower speeds, but T-Mo still needs sufficient backhaul capacity to provide an effective alternative to the Comcasts, and Coxes of the world.
      Yes, and there will eventually be that fiber backhaul to service the 5G cells. It's not going to happen quickly but eventually all the carriers, not just T-Mobile, will have to put in the backhaul for 5G.

      Since the 5G small cells will be on existing power poles and streetlight poles it won't be that hard to string fiber. If they want to go underground then it will be difficult and costly. The existing broadband providers that have already run fiber to the home will be able to compete on price and undercut the wireless carriers. 5G is more for IOT because of the extremely low latency. It won't replace broadband to the home unless the carriers are very aggressive with price.
    1. CanadianAngela's Avatar
      CanadianAngela -
      Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
      I have had 6 outages from Comcast in both Cable TV and Internet that was between 4 hours to 28 hours in just the first 7 months of this year. The last time was in July and they just left 500 feet of cable above the ground that feeds 40 homes in my block. I have called them to bury it but every time they show up they claim they are the wrong group to bury it since July 10th. Last week I went to the city to try to force them to bury the cable. I am of 6 people on the HOA board for two hundred homes and Comcastís 10 year contract ends in one year with the HOA. Comcast gets over $143,000 a year on our HOA contract that only includes basic cable TV with HBO but that doesnít include Internet that cost me a extra $60 a month. I am going to do everything I can to fire Comcast from the entire HOA. I couldnít care less if I cost Comcast $300K plus a year. I wonít have any problem when Comcast tells me to pound sand like you say. There is not one home owner in the entire HOA that likes Comcast.
      Is the alternative any better? We can get broadband and TV from either Comcast or AT&T. Neither is wonderful. Comcast is less expensive. 5G may be a solution in a few years, but not right now.
    1. DRC72's Avatar
      DRC72 -
      Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
      I have had 6 outages from Comcast in both Cable TV and Internet that was between 4 hours to 28 hours in just the first 7 months of this year. The last time was in July and they just left 500 feet of cable above the ground that feeds 40 homes in my block. I have called them to bury it but every time they show up they claim they are the wrong group to bury it since July 10th. Last week I went to the city to try to force them to bury the cable. I am of 6 people on the HOA board for two hundred homes and Comcastís 10 year contract ends in one year with the HOA. Comcast gets over $143,000 a year on our HOA contract that only includes basic cable TV with HBO but that doesnít include Internet that cost me a extra $60 a month. I am going to do everything I can to fire Comcast from the entire HOA. I couldnít care less if I cost Comcast $300K plus a year. I wonít have any problem when Comcast tells me to pound sand like you say. There is not one home owner in the entire HOA that likes Comcast.
      If you really want to raise your misery level with ispís, then give Frontier a try if their in your area.
    1. mch's Avatar
      mch -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
      If you really want to raise your misery level with ispís, then give Frontier a try if their in your area.
      Oh man. Donít get me started about Frontier. The day I cancelled my Frontier services is a day I will always fondly remember. Micro outages of a few minutes were almost daily occurrences.

      I have actually been reasonably happy with Comcast Business. Two outages in the last 5 years. One was fixed in 4 hours. The other in two hours. I donít bother with TV, just internet.
    1. DRC72's Avatar
      DRC72 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mch View Post
      Oh man. Donít get me started about Frontier. The day I cancelled my Frontier services is a day I will always fondly remember. Micro outages of a few minutes were almost daily occurrences.

      I have actually been reasonably happy with Comcast Business. Two outages in the last 5 years. One was fixed in 4 hours. The other in two hours. I donít bother with TV, just internet.
      Did Frontier try to assess a broadband disconnection fee when you left? There all about fees on top of their base price.
    1. wilbur101's Avatar
      wilbur101 -
      I'm no longer a T-Mobile customer. Got too expensive compared to the deal I got with att.

      One thing we can be sure of, if this deal goes through T-Mobile will surely raise prices after the 3 years.
    1. CanadianAngela's Avatar
      CanadianAngela -
      Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
      I'm no longer a T-Mobile customer. Got too expensive compared to the deal I got with att.

      One thing we can be sure of, if this deal goes through T-Mobile will surely raise prices after the 3 years.
      There is no reason for T-Mobile to charge less than the market price once they have coverage that rivals that of AT&T and Verizon. In fact, if they reach that level they could put price pressure on AT&T and Verizon. Where I work, T-Mobile has been pitching their service to our IT director but he said that even though we'd save about $50,000 per year it's not a viable option until T-Mobile coverage matches that of Verizon who we currently use. I have a company issued iPhone on Verizon and my personal iPhone on T-Mobile. The difference in coverage is substantial. But my own T-Mobile family plan is less than what I could get on a Verizon family plan, coverage is sufficient, and the international roaming is a big attraction.
    1. DRNewcomb's Avatar
      DRNewcomb -
      Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
      ...... it's not a viable option until T-Mobile coverage matches that of Verizon who we currently use. ......
      And this is the reason why T-Mobile must continue to expand their rural coverage. They won't get corporate customers without it.
    1. formercanuck's Avatar
      formercanuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
      And this is the reason why T-Mobile must continue to expand their rural coverage. They won't get corporate customers without it.
      I agree with that. I have corporate line on AT&T (work has +10,000 cell lines), and only offers service on AT&T, Verizon and ... Sprint. I don't think that T-Mobile has the setup for 'large' businesses the way that AT&T/VZW and Sprint did.
    1. hwertz's Avatar
      hwertz -
      Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
      The existing broadband providers that have already run fiber to the home will be able to compete on price and undercut the wireless carriers. 5G is more for IOT because of the extremely low latency. It won't replace broadband to the home unless the carriers are very aggressive with price.
      Well, Mediacom and Centurylink here run a duopoly. Nobody has run fiber to the home. ImON is planning to . HURRY UP!!! Mediacom cable, few here have the seething hate for them that Comcast has earned, but they are expensive; if you don't want a forced TV/Internet bundle they are very expensive. Centurylink DSL maxes at 40mbps VDSL2 (IF you are on a remote DSLAM... puzzlingly, their phone switch downtown continues to run late 1990s vintage DSL hardware that tops at 8mbps ), they charge nearly the same as Mediacom for a fraction the speed, and rely on getting customers entirely via people who are pissed at Mediacom, or who don't want a TV bundle.

      They actually have high enough price for speed that I almost got SATELLITE INTERNET -- if it had had a typical amount of taxes and fees, not $40 worth... , it would have actually cost less than CL and Mediacom here.
    1. CanadianAngela's Avatar
      CanadianAngela -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
      And this is the reason why T-Mobile must continue to expand their rural coverage. They won't get corporate customers without it.
      Not sure that they are all that interested in spending the money necessary to expand rural coverage just to compete in the corporate and government sectors. Let's say they did expand their coverage, that's no guarantee that they'll actually win any of that business because AT&T and Verizon would suddenly come up with a way to reduce costs. IT departments (or whatever department manages corporate cell phone contracts) are extremely conservative because they don't want a lot of angry employees.

      It may be more profitable for T-Mobile to continue to sell service at a slightly lower price and not make the capital expenditures necessary to compete against AT&T and Verizon for customers for whom coverage is an important consideration. T-Mobile has done a great job in offering things that enhance their value proposition to end users, like free Netflix and T-Mobile Tuesdays. However corporate customers are not really going to care about these things.
    1. shilohcane's Avatar
      shilohcane -
      Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
      I'm no longer a T-Mobile customer. Got too expensive compared to the deal I got with att.

      One thing we can be sure of, if this deal goes through T-Mobile will surely raise prices after the 3 years.
      LOL . Say something interesting next time you try to attack T-Mobile.
    1. shilohcane's Avatar
      shilohcane -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
      And this is the reason why T-Mobile must continue to expand their rural coverage. They won't get corporate customers without it.
      T- Mobile never had the spectrum for rural before 600 MHz that is still deploying. The tiny 5x5 MHz of Band 12 was a bandaid for penetration in metro areas. . If this merger goes through and they are successful with Wireless Internet Service I think T-Mobile will increase customers by over 300 % including their WISP customers.

      It is amazing that T- Mobile stayed on their 600 MHz deployment as they when through this BS interference over the Sprint merger. Nothing seems to stop T-Mobile despite the effort of many T-Mobile haters on this board which I don’t consider you as one.
    1. formercanuck's Avatar
      formercanuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
      Not sure that they are all that interested in spending the money necessary to expand rural coverage just to compete in the corporate and government sectors. Let's say they did expand their coverage, that's no guarantee that they'll actually win any of that business because AT&T and Verizon would suddenly come up with a way to reduce costs. IT departments (or whatever department manages corporate cell phone contracts) are extremely conservative because they don't want a lot of angry employees.

      It may be more profitable for T-Mobile to continue to sell service at a slightly lower price and not make the capital expenditures necessary to compete against AT&T and Verizon for customers for whom coverage is an important consideration. T-Mobile has done a great job in offering things that enhance their value proposition to end users, like free Netflix and T-Mobile Tuesdays. However corporate customers are not really going to care about these things.
      I suspect that in the long term they will increase rural coverage 'somewhat'. There's a lot at stake for TMobile. From IoT to media... It's a 'go big or go home' approach, especially if you have the spectrum to deploy and win. Some government contracts are :meh: while others may be like a pot of gold. Future logistics and driverless vehicles will require big infrastructure, and it would be a game changer. That being said... TMobile has a long ways to go ... Including backup generators.

      Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    1. shilohcane's Avatar
      shilohcane -
      Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
      Not sure that they are all that interested in spending the money necessary to expand rural coverage just to compete in the corporate and government sectors. Let's say they did expand their coverage, that's no guarantee that they'll actually win any of that business because AT&T and Verizon would suddenly come up with a way to reduce costs. IT departments (or whatever department manages corporate cell phone contracts) are extremely conservative because they don't want a lot of angry employees.

      It may be more profitable for T-Mobile to continue to sell service at a slightly lower price and not make the capital expenditures necessary to compete against AT&T and Verizon for customers for whom coverage is an important consideration. T-Mobile has done a great job in offering things that enhance their value proposition to end users, like free Netflix and T-Mobile Tuesdays. However corporate customers are not really going to care about these things.
      I don’t know what you are talking about but T-Mobile has build out it’s new 600Mhz from the rural areas to the Metro areas. If you don’t have a 5G NR phone by 2020 then you have obsolete equipment. T- Mobile will be the First Nation Wide 5G NR Network and that is without the merger. With the merger the new T-Mobile Mobile is going to fly.
    1. Jack Hagar's Avatar
      Jack Hagar -
      Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
      I don’t know what you are talking about but T-Mobile has build out it’s new 600Mhz from the rural areas to the Metro areas. If you don’t have a 5G NR phone by 2020 then you have obsolete equipment. T- Mobile will be the First Nation Wide 5G NR Network and that is without the merger. With the merger the new T-Mobile Mobile is going to fly.
      5G over 600 MHz is stupid and only hurts people on 4G. precious spectrum that is need for 4G will be used for 5G making the 4G experience worse and a few MHz of spectrum for 5G won't do anything for speeds. Low band should be left for 4G until 4G is ready to be retired.
    1. jakeuten's Avatar
      jakeuten -
      Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
      T- Mobile never had the spectrum for rural before 600 MHz that is still deploying. The tiny 5x5 MHz of Band 12 was a bandaid for penetration in metro areas. . If this merger goes through and they are successful with Wireless Internet Service I think T-Mobile will increase customers by over 300 % including their WISP customers.

      It is amazing that T- Mobile stayed on their 600 MHz deployment as they when through this BS interference over the Sprint merger. Nothing seems to stop T-Mobile despite the effort of many T-Mobile haters on this board which I donít consider you as one.
      300% gain in customers?! Theyíre covering Canada now, too?


      Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    1. DRNewcomb's Avatar
      DRNewcomb -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
      5G over 600 MHz is stupid and only hurts people on 4G. precious spectrum that is need for 4G will be used for 5G making the 4G experience worse and a few MHz of spectrum for 5G won't do anything for speeds. Low band should be left for 4G until 4G is ready to be retired.
      From a technical standpoint, I tend to agree with this. A 5x5 LTE carrier plus a 10x10 5G NR carrier is scant gain (if any) over a 15x15 LTE carrier. But this isn't about what makes the best technical sense. It has a lot to do with marketing. Having T-Mobile phones showing "5G NR" just about everywhere they have service is a big deal to the folks in Marketing because it will be a big deal to the customers, regardless of the technical truth. I suppose, sooner or later, we'll get Vo5G and eventually LTE will go away, just as 2G and 3G are going away but that's for the far distant future, like in 4 years.
    1. Tim-of-NC's Avatar
      Tim-of-NC -
      Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
      From a technical standpoint, I tend to agree with this. A 5x5 LTE carrier plus a 10x10 5G NR carrier is scant gain (if any) over a 15x15 LTE carrier. But this isn't about what makes the best technical sense. It has a lot to do with marketing. Having T-Mobile phones showing "5G NR" just about everywhere they have service is a big deal to the folks in Marketing because it will be a big deal to the customers, regardless of the technical truth. I suppose, sooner or later, we'll get Vo5G and eventually LTE will go away, just as 2G and 3G are going away but that's for the far distant future, like in 4 years.
      I heard recently from a outside source that T-Mobile is waiting for DSS to be ready and once it is theyíll release a network update. It should be ready no later than 2021 if not next year.

      Hopefully thatíll improve speeds for both LTE and 5G devices.


      Sent from my iPhone 11
  • Sponsored By

  • Facebook

  • Recent Reviews

  • Recent Forum Posts

    whacker

    I'll have to try staging an incoming call with...

    I'll have to try staging an incoming call with Call Screening off and see what the results are. Perhaps this morning some time.

    whacker Today, 07:32 AM Go to last post
    whacker

    Thanks for posting those links, Wheelie. Nice...

    Thanks for posting those links, Wheelie.

    Nice review of the Reflect. I like that reviewer, especially his comments about on board storage; right on.

    I'd be more inclined to go with a Moto G of...

    whacker Today, 07:29 AM Go to last post
    buckspaul

    Lehigh Valley, PA Band 71 screenshoot also been...

    Lehigh Valley, PA Band 71 screenshoot also been seeing band 71 the provider Clearwire on some sites lately due to the lease....

    buckspaul Today, 07:19 AM Go to last post
    Boz1

    Yes. Thank you. That's what I'm talking about...

    Yes. Thank you. That's what I'm talking about in my earlier post.

    Boz1 Today, 06:58 AM Go to last post
    bmtvaquero

    You called me a troll, then went on to define...

    You called me a troll, then went on to define trolling. Trolling is a verb. "A troll" is a noun. Don't worry, I won't tell on you.

    bmtvaquero Today, 06:55 AM Go to last post