• Fido (and Rogers) Offering Chinese New Year Promos



    Fido (and Rogers) are saying "gong hei" to new customers with some special promotions for Chinese New Year.

    Mobile Syrup is reporting on a pair of plans for Fido, both of which include 1,000 complimentary long distance minutes to China PRC, Hong Kong, Macau and/or Taiwan ROC. Both plans are BYOD; options are as follows:

    $48/month for 3GB
    $58/month for 5GB

    As-is the plans include international SMS and 500 minutes of Canada-wide airtime; unlimited minutes can be had for an additional $5/month. The 1,000 long distance minutes must be used within 24 months of activation.

    iPhone in Canada reports a similar, soon-to-be-made-public CNY deal from Rogers, though theirs is for subsidized devices on a tab:

    $80/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on a Premium Tab Plan
    $90/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on a Premium+ Tab Plan
    $100/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on an Ultra Tab Plan

    Here you're basically saving $20/month off of the usual rates, and getting the same 1,000 free minutes to Asia.

    Sources: iPhone in Canada, Mobile Syrup

    ---------
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Fido (and Rogers) Offering Chinese New Year Promos started by acurrie View original post
    Comments 5 Comments
    1. Mr.Peppermint's Avatar
      Mr.Peppermint -
      Even the flyer clearly calls it a "lunar" new year event.
      Never figured out why ignorant people insists on calling this "chinese" new year

      Many other cultures and countries do celebrate it
    1. formercanuck's Avatar
      formercanuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
      Attachment 161211

      Fido (and Rogers) are saying "gong hei" to new customers with some special promotions for Chinese New Year.

      Mobile Syrup is reporting on a pair of plans for Fido, both of which include 1,000 complimentary long distance minutes to China PRC, Hong Kong, Macau and/or Taiwan ROC. Both plans are BYOD; options are as follows:

      $48/month for 3GB
      $58/month for 5GB

      As-is the plans include international SMS and 500 minutes of Canada-wide airtime; unlimited minutes can be had for an additional $5/month. The 1,000 long distance minutes must be used within 24 months of activation.

      iPhone in Canada reports a similar, soon-to-be-made-public CNY deal from Rogers, though theirs is for subsidized devices on a tab:

      $80/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on a Premium Tab Plan
      $90/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on a Premium+ Tab Plan
      $100/month for 4GB plus a 4GB bonus on an Ultra Tab Plan

      Here you're basically saving $20/month off of the usual rates, and getting the same 1,000 free minutes to Asia.

      Sources: iPhone in Canada, Mobile Syrup
      Dann.... I still find it hard to believe that carriers still charge for airtime and long distance, then still only offer a few GB of data.

      Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    1. ceredon's Avatar
      ceredon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
      Even the flyer clearly calls it a "lunar" new year event.
      Never figured out why ignorant people insists on calling this "chinese" new year

      Many other cultures and countries do celebrate it
      what a very ignorant view.

      the actual facts:
      a) most people that celebrate it are Chinese.
      b) even in other Asian countries it is often correctly called Chinese New Year.
      c) it is originally a Chinese observation.
      d) anyone calling it Lunar New Year are ignorant of the Chinese calendar. The Chinese calendar is not strictly a lunar calendar it is a Lunisolar calendar. If it was strictly a lunar calendar then it wouldn’t be as consistent in time of year (not that it entirely consistent).

      Hence it’s correctly called Chinese New Year and called Lunar new year mostly due to some ignorant need to be PC.

      Anyway, I always get a laugh when people call others ignorant out of their own ignorance. Thanks for the laugh.
    1. batcave's Avatar
      batcave -
      Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
      Dann.... I still find it hard to believe that carriers still charge for airtime and long distance, then still only offer a few GB of data.

      Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
      Yup. A total ripoff.
    1. formercanuck's Avatar
      formercanuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by batcave View Post
      Yup. A total ripoff.
      Sad thing is... When I go up to Canada on TMobile, I don't pay for airtime, roaming, long distance, sms or data. They let me use 5GB/month at full speed. Back on this side of the border, it's 50GB, then is deprioritized after... For $40/month

      Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
  • Sponsored By

  • Facebook

  • Recent Reviews

  • Recent Forum Posts

    techfranz

    Why is there no roaming on Sprint towers for Tmobile customers?

    If I would switch to Sprint now, I suppose a quick ride to T-Mobile probably won’t happen? Will they migrate upgrade eligible customers first or do you think they will have a grace period when Sprint...

    techfranz Today, 06:28 AM Go to last post
    DRNewcomb

    Remember that voice and text is only a small part...

    Remember that voice and text is only a small part of the mix. If that were the only issue, UMTS would have served just fine. I don't know anywhere that band-41 is the whole network deployment. It's...

    DRNewcomb Today, 06:22 AM Go to last post
    acurrie

    Your Morning Briefing for Wednesday, May 22nd, 2019

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gF8MpR2hEM

    From The Web:

    Huawei vs. Trump: all the news about the Chinese phone maker’s messy relationship with the US

    The FCC looks poised to approve...

    acurrie Today, 05:43 AM Go to last post
    Elsa Bailey

    This is quite a good application. Just downloaded...

    This is quite a good application. Just downloaded it. Seems ok. Thank you for letting me know.

    Elsa Bailey Today, 04:18 AM Go to last post
    cali_stud

    anyone know where i can find info on when they...

    anyone know where i can find info on when they plan to roll out the 5G in certain areas. verizon has no clue when there rolling it out in an area i am interested in or there keeping it secret lol

    cali_stud Today, 02:40 AM Go to last post