Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is GSM coverage in Portland, OR?

Phones
    Nokia 8390
    N400
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

How is GSM coverage in Portland, OR?

I am going to be traveling to Portland, Oregon a lot and I was wondering if anyone knew how GSM coverage is out there.

Phones
    Samsung S105
    Motorola v60i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    VERY GOOOOOOOD.

Oregon is very good structured, except there is a small gap in I-5 between Eugene and Salem where GSM won't function. I'm surprise at&t didn't fill in that gap. But other than that, all the major populated areas have excelent coverage, unless you are in the high mountain areas.

Phones
    Nokia 8390
    N400
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a bunch KoolAsian!

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That gap on I-5 you're talking about is filled in by T-Mobile. Wake up AT&T!! We need roaming options!!

Phones
    Nokia 8390
    N400
    Carriers
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is there coverage from Portland to Vancouver?

Phones
    Samsung S105
    Motorola v60i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by 8390 Gal
    Is there coverage from Portland to Vancouver?
    Yeah... pretty much all of Washington's I-5 is covered.

Feedback Score
    the gap is now filled in, i talked from my home near MT Hood to Cottage Grove! And the rest will be solid as soon as Edgewireless.com finishes there GSM overlay in spring 03

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    the gap is now filled in, i talked from my home near MT Hood to Cottage Grove! And the rest will be solid as soon as Edgewireless.com finishes there GSM overlay in spring 03
    Really? How come i still don't get GSM coverage in corvallis then. And i was jus at the I-34/I-5 junction and No Service

When are they going to update their coverage maps?

Last edited by Xarthan; 12-08-2002 at 03:32 PM.

Feedback Score
    OSU will still be a while, but the cells threw brownsville,albany area should be on 24/7. They will print new maps as soon as the 3,000 mile buildout is finished and the Edge/suncom markets lanch. It should show 30% more coverage than our current TDMA National network map does.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    OSU will still be a while, but the cells threw brownsville,albany area should be on 24/7. They will print new maps as soon as the 3,000 mile buildout is finished and the Edge/suncom markets lanch. It should show 30% more coverage than our current TDMA National network map does.
    How long is awhile? It dosen't really matter for me as I sold my contract to a friend and picked up the S105 off amazon but my gf still uses at&t and I would like her to use GSM phones.

Phones
    SE W810i
    Blackberry 8300
    Blackberry 8320
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    So, judging by the coverage map, there's no coverage in Bend. Is this true? If so, guess I'll be bringing the Nextel with me.

Feedback Score
    ""How long is awhile?""" We are told to say withen a year we should if all permits and talks go well have coverage in both Bend an Corvalis. It has been a battle since AT&T does not own the 850 licence in these areas and it forces AT&T to build a fresh 1900MHZ GSM only market since we also have a TDMA roaming agreement with RCC. Even we dont know the exacts- but I would expect corvalis to be on in the early spring time frame with bend early NEXT fall.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by JRM
    I was just in Albany 10 days ago and had nothing. And also didn't have very much between Eugene and Medford. And BTW the map that was posted is a TDMA map. Under the regional plan, Albany and Corvallis are covered through Cellular One(RCC). Reps from the Salem store said they would probably never have GSM coverage there unless they come up with a roaming agreement with T-Mobile (the only GSM carrier to have coverage there, Cingular doesn't either). Will AT&T actually build new towers to cover that area? If so, that's great 'cause I travel there alot and hate not having service. That's the only reason I still use Verizon as well.
    Last edited by frail; 12-09-2002 at 01:23 PM.

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by frail47
    I was just in Albany 10 days ago and had nothing. And also didn't have very much between Eugene and Medford. And BTW the map that was posted is a TDMA map. Under the regional plan, Albany and Corvallis are covered through Cellular One(RCC). Reps from the Salem store said they would probably never have GSM coverage there unless they come up with a roaming agreement with T-Mobile (the only GSM carrier to have coverage there, Cingular doesn't either). Will AT&T actually build new towers to cover that area? If so, that's great 'cause I travel there alot and hate not having service. That's the only reason I still use Verizon as well.
    Yeah same thing, I was on I-5 passing by Albany and my phone had "No Coverage" - Nokia 8390 You sure the gap has been filled? cauz it sure doesn't seem like it.

And yes i do know that is a TDMA map (for the network plan) which coverage is pretty much the same as their GSM plans.

Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Xarthan
    Yeah same thing, I was on I-5 passing by Albany and my phone had "No Coverage" - Nokia 8390 You sure the gap has been filled? cauz it sure doesn't seem like it.

And yes i do know that is a TDMA map (for the network plan) which coverage is pretty much the same as their GSM plans.
    Almost the same but still not quite there yet. The only GSM carrier that has coverage there right now is T-Mobile but since AT&T doesn't have roaming agreements with them it's not an option except for emergency calls. Which boggles me, AT&T has set up a multitude of roaming agreements with other countries, but still has no roaming agreements in it's own country. I wish I at least had the OPTION to roam and pay the fees than to be completely blocked from anyone but AT&T. CS promised me there would be roaming agreements but didn't know when, only "soon". They need to wake and smell the coffee 'cause there's too many gaps between markets. Especially in Oregon, I'm tired of seeing a signal passing through a city on I-5 then no service, then next big city I get a signal. Don't they understand that people DRIVE between these cities and need some continuity between markets?! Even their TDMA network is that way in Oregon. If it wasn't for Cellular One(RCC) their regional plan would be a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast