Thread: A restricted number is prank calling my cell, what can i do?

Phone
    Touch Pro2 (Sprint)
    Carrier
    Sprint SERO 500
    Feedback Score

A restricted number is prank calling my cell, what can i do?

apparently, this guy is calling my phone at night and during the day with a restricted number. i've called verizon and they told me that all i can really do is either change my number or file a police report. now i dont want to change the number and filing a police report is something i may consider but then again i doubt the poilce would really look into this.

can anyone explain why all house phones come in as restricted? and is there ANYTHING i can do to find out the number or who is calling me?

Phone
    Motorola K1M KRZR
    Carrier
    Verizon Americas Choice
    Feedback Score
    been there, done that. nothing you can do. you cant block calls from a restricted/blocked number, nor can you see who they are from. The only way to stop ALL incoming calls.

You don't want to change your number. The best solution for you right now is to not pick up the calls from an unrestricted number and hope that they get tired opranking someone who never picks up.
    My cellular phone plan:

America's Choice 450

Motorola KRZR K1M

19% Gov't discount

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Go to the police. If they are motivated, they can find out who has been calling you. In the state of New York, the facts you have described, if true, would constitute the crime of aggravated harrassment.

Phones
    Samsung Mantra
    M860
    Carrier
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    In the mean time, if your phone has a ringer setting for restricted callers, set it to silent so that you at least won't be annoyed at the phone ringing everytime this person calls.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is a long shot, but works occasionally. It'll depend on if your landline provider offers a feature called Call Trace and what type of switch serves your landline.

What you can possibly do is, assuming you know the general time this person calls, forward your cell to your landline. When you recieve the call on your landline and verify it's this person, hang up and activate your Call Trace service.

Call Trace is a feature that saves the caller information in the central office even though you may not be able to see it on your caller ID. IN NJ, the police require we furnish them with three successful traces before they do anything. Although, they will act immediately on threating calls.

The feature varies by area so you have to call your landline carrier to get specifics. Some switch types used in COs work differently. When a call is forwarded, some switches will pass the TN of the number that originated the call. Other switches will only pass the number the call was forwarded from (ex. in this case, your cellphone).

There are alot of variables which is why you should call your landline provider before trying this and wasting time.

Phones
    Apple iPhone 5
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My wife's phone has a similar problem.

Someone has her phone on their fax autodialer.

I suppose I could try to forward it to a fax machine, but I haven't been able to determine a schedule on when the call is made.

She rarely has her phone on, so it goes to voicemail. But one would think that whoever maintains these numbers would figure out that it isn't a fax machine...it's been over a year.

-Mike

Phones
    RAZR ve20 (licorice)
    Scoop (wife)
    Scoop (daughter)
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by phlack
    My wife's phone has a similar problem.

Someone has her phone on their fax autodialer.

I suppose I could try to forward it to a fax machine, but I haven't been able to determine a schedule on when the call is made.

She rarely has her phone on, so it goes to voicemail. But one would think that whoever maintains these numbers would figure out that it isn't a fax machine...it's been over a year.

-Mike
    I had this same thing happen to me about a year ago. Kept getting fax tones from the same number about 10 times a day. So i forwarded my calls to the office, turns out the faxes were from a local hospital and they were medical records for a patient. I immediately called the hospital and told them about it. Should have heard the concern in the guys voice. He offered to pay my cell phone bill for me for the last two months. I told him i wasn't looking for a "handout" I only wanted stop recieving the annoying calls b/c if i didn't answer it I would only get like 10 voicmails of nothing but beeps.

Phones
    treo650
    razr
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    if you actually forward your calls to another line, and tired to do the call forwarding, the number you will get will be your own cell phone. The best bet is to call the police.

Network has the ablility to find out who has been calling you since they keep a record of that.

If you want, you can probably keep a record of all the times that person has called you and you can maybe report it somehow? I know here, in my region, i can call network since i'm pretty good with that department and they can find out for me if that ever happened to me.

Phones
    VX6000
    VX4500 - Wife
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    From what I understand here in Ohio anyway, the VZW Corporate reps have access to see all incoming and outgoing calls on your account. It will even show who the incoming call was from.

Maybe if you do file a police report, that they can trace it, not sure though.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by dkatverizon
    if you actually forward your calls to another line, and tired to do the call forwarding, the number you will get will be your own cell phone. The best bet is to call the police.
    That really depends on the switch type that handles his local service. If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong), 5E, Siemens (EWSD), and DMS100 switches will show the number that originally dialed the call. I believe older switches like 5E@ and 1AESS will only show the number the call was forwarded from. That's why I advise to check with your local carrier. I could tell you how it would work in NJ, but there are many more switch types and interactions than what I listed above.

EDIT:
    Just remembered something while I was talking this over with a peer. In the event you don't have Call Trace in your area or the switch your landline uses passes the incorrect number, there is an alternative we suggest to customers...

When you recieve and confirm the offending call, just say "Operator, this is the call I want traced" and press any # on your phone (just so the caller heres a button press.). Then, hang up.

No, it doesn't really do anything but I've dealt with landline customers in a similar situation and this alternative usually works for them about 40 per cent of the time. Worth a shot if nothing else...
    Last edited by Big Calhoun; 12-13-2004 at 12:48 PM.