Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile 4x2 MIMO LTE live in NSN markets!

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, Note 3, GS4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile 4x2 MIMO LTE live in NSN markets!

Just got a tip from a trusted source that NSN has a cluster of commercial 4x2 sites with closed loop MIMO at 2x20 MHz in North Dallas.
    That's pretty high performance stuff, essentially sites transmitting 4 Streams from the base station onto 2 receive paths on our devices. It's also Transmission Mode 4 (Closed Loop) when in low mobility, with higher chance of spatial multiplexing, and very high data rates.

Not to mention that they've been running 20Mhz FDD LTE in North Dallas since last year, so really it's an unmatched setup by any standard, anywhere.

NSN T-Mobile markets are Seattle, Portland, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Chicago, Detroit, Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, to name a few.

For those lucky ones in those parts using an iPhone, the easy way to check the amount of Tx Antennas on the site is:

1. Fire up FieldTest by dialing *3001#12345#*
    2. Toggle Airplane Mode On/Off to refresh
    3. Tap on Serving Cell Info
    4. Observe the "Num Tx Antennas"

Typically, we will see 2 as a regular 2x2 MIMO setup, but if you see 4, that would indicate that your Service Cell Site has a 4x2 cluster. You should also notice more robust LTE signal, better average data rates, and more often seeing very high data rates than usual.

Last edited by milan03; 04-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's one hell of a tip! Any details on the cell site hardware required? I'm presuming North Dallas has 3 panel per sector Flexi setups.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic50 View Post
    That's one hell of a tip! Any details on the cell site hardware required? I'm presuming North Dallas has 3 panel per sector Flexi setups.
    Nothing major has changed besides adding a panel as the flexi base stations already support 4x2.

But it's realistic to expect more 4x2 MIMO setups in NSN markets like Seattle, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Phoenix, etc.
    Ericsson markets would require a bit more significant hardware upgrade. Not sure if us in Ericsson markets will see 4x2 any time soon.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I never paid attention to Tx antennas in Field Test. How long should you wait for it to show up?

Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Nothing major has changed besides adding a panel as the flexi base stations already support 4x2.

But it's realistic to expect more 4x2 MIMO setups in NSN markets like Seattle, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Phoenix, etc.
    Ericsson markets would require a bit more significant hardware upgrade. Not sure if us in Ericsson markets will see 4x2 any time soon.
    How do I know what kind of market I am in down here in B'Ham, AL?

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by besweeet View Post
    I never paid attention to Tx antennas in Field Test. How long should you wait for it to show up?
    Check the step 2 in my main post. Toggle Airplane Mode On/Off while in the main FieldTest screen before you go into the Serving Cell Info.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Junkie View Post
    How do I know what kind of market I am in down here in B'Ham, AL?
    Do you often see LTE latency in the low 20ms? If yes, you're probably in NSN markets

On a serious note, I'll try to find out more scientific way, but T-Mobile's NSN markets have some of the lowest ping I've ever seen.
    Ericsson markets are usually in the 30's and up.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Bingo.

Maybe this explains the faster-than-usual upload speeds? Pings are still well above what they were than 3 or 4 months ago when they started increasing. Download speeds still average between 18 and 28.

Phone
    iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Bingo.

Maybe this explains the faster-than-usual upload speeds? Pings are still well above what they were than 3 or 4 months ago when they started increasing. Download speeds still average between 18 and 28.
    That's crazy areas of San Antonio got upgraded before Houston, at least in my part of Houston.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Current speeds. I always get the best tests at home. This one's actually the best I've gotten in SA (I think), with the second being from Houston (in the 47 down range I believe but with much better pings). Still only one LTE tower in the area. Download test hasn't really improved since LTE popped up in the area, but upload speeds have definitely increased quite a bit over the past few weeks. Pings continue to be meh.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Bingo.

Congrats man!!! This is really major!

Yes! So NSN claims as high as 100% better uplink rates, and up to 50-60% better data download data rates in cell edge situations.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Congrats man!!! This is really major!

Yes! So NSN claims as high as 100% better uplink rates, and up to 50-60% better data download data rates in cell edge situations.
    What kind of setup does AT&T use? Their upload speeds around here are generally within what I'm not getting on T-Mobile (although their download speeds are generally hammered). I should probably dig my GS5 out and take a look.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Chicago is live as well:

Phones
    iPhones
    iPhone 3GS
    Samsung Galaxy S 2
    Carriers
    T-mobile
    Telcel
    Feedback Score
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2914
Size:  50.8 KB
    This is a speed test on that tower here in Chicago. Service has been horrible here the last month. And right know I think they are tuning it I have one bar when I usually have 3-4.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by luism1023 View Post
    This is a speed test on that tower here in Chicago. Service has been horrible here the last month. And right know I think they are tuning it I have one bar when I usually have 3-4.
    Most likely. The backhaul will get better.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast