Thread: Nokia Lumia 520 APN problems on Straight Talk

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Nokia Lumia 520 APN problems on Straight Talk

Despite a couple of calls to Straight Talk concerning the lack of data and mms functions I have gotten nowhere. If anyone has a clue about how I should configure the Nokia 520 in order to get Data and MMS I would be most grateful. It would seem even with and unlocked GSM compatible phone the Straight Talk (Bring your own Sim) is sadly lacking when it comes to technical backup in order to provide the service you are paying for.

Feedback Score
    try restore the factory settings or reset the phone

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Are you using a T-mobile or at&t sim? What are your current settings?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Download network setup app for Nokia phones. And place data and mms information there.
    Nokia Lumia 710 - Straight Talk AT&T $45.00

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    You will find it in the app marketplace, just search network setup
    Nokia Lumia 710 - Straight Talk AT&T $45.00

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I did think of this, but wanted to keep everything I had previously downloaded and installed. However a rep from straight talk ahs been in touch and I am waiting to see if they are able to resolve this. Many thanks for your input.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I am using an att&t sim and have tried both the tfdata and att.mvno settings.However when creating a new apn the Nokia 520 requires a proxy address for data and a MMS APN name in order for you to save and activate a new APN. Unfortunately no one at this time has been able to provide this. Many thanks for your interest

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I did look in the Nokia Marketplace for the network setup application which I have on my other phone A Nokia Lumia 900. It would appear they have made what was the "marketplace" now called the "Store". I was unable to find the Network Setup Application there but will search again. Many thanks for your input.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'm using the Nokia 920 and am guessing that since both phones share the same manufacture and Windows 8 phone OS the cellular settings should be the same.

These are the settings I have been using for a couple of months now with no issues.

Settings > Cellular > (You should have two settings choices) Edit Internet APN and Edit MMS APN

Edit Internet APN (only setting I use is APN all others are blank)
    APN - att.mvno

Edit MMS APN (These are the only settings I use and all others are blank)
    APN - att.mvno
    WAP gateway (URL) - 66.209.11.33
    WAP gateway port - 80
    MMSC (URL) http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC port - 80

The Nokia app "Wireless Manager" I believe only works with Windows Phone 7.x phones and not with Windows Phone 8 devices.

Please let us know if this gets you going.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Nokia 520 APN settings

In the Nokia 520 to add an APN you go to settings then to "access point" to set up internet, mms and internet sharing.

Once in that screen it allows you to create and add an APN similar to the Nokia 920 in that you also have the two settings choices under the "Internet Name" that you name for this access.

Here I was able to set up the Internet APN access only and not the corresponding MMS settings as it would not allow me to save the MMS settings without a MMS APN (similar to the att.mvno you gave me for the internet access APN). I thus was only able to save the internet portion of the settings which prevents me from any MMS service.

I do thank you for your valuable input and I have also been given different APN settings from Straight Talks resolution centre that I need to try as well. Unfortunately where I live the service is not very good and I shall take the phone tomorrow to a known good service area and mess about with the settings.

Many thanks for your help and I shall keep you informed as to the outcome and what settings if any worked.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    I'm using the Nokia 920 and am guessing that since both phones share the same manufacture and Windows 8 phone OS the cellular settings should be the same.

These are the settings I have been using for a couple of months now with no issues.

Settings > Cellular > (You should have two settings choices) Edit Internet APN and Edit MMS APN

Edit Internet APN (only setting I use is APN all others are blank)
    APN - att.mvno

Edit MMS APN (These are the only settings I use and all others are blank)
    APN - att.mvno
    WAP gateway (URL) - 66.209.11.33
    WAP gateway port - 80
    MMSC (URL) http://mmsc.cingular.com/
    MMSC port - 80

The Nokia app "Wireless Manager" I believe only works with Windows Phone 7.x phones and not with Windows Phone 8 devices.

Please let us know if this gets you going.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Finally I got Straight Talk data Sunday morning using the APN of tfdata which I had used previously to no avail. What had changed I have no idea as I was "again" given these settings on Saturday 13th July and received data when I got to a good signal area on Sunday the 14th in the morning.

I still have no MMS ! The Nokia 520 requires an APN for the MMS service. I put in tfmms as this name but it failed to work along with the settings I was given below, I quote

"The age of the SIM card doesn't matter. Please try to update your phone's APN settings by following the steps below.
    Field Name

Settings

APN Name:

Straight Talk

APN:

tfdata

MMSC:

http://mms-tf.net

MMS Proxy:

mms3.tracfone.com

MMS Port:

Hope this helps.

(name left out)

Straight Talk Wireless"

You need to be aware of Straight Talks limitations when it comes to providing support and again I quote from Straight Talks Resolution Team.

"Regarding your concern, we do not guarantee that all applications or features will work on your phone. Since our program called Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) only adopted the "business phone model" method, thus, we cannot provide support for the phone itself. Updating the APN (Access Point Name) settings is not a guarantee that the MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) will work. It is dependent upon the phone model's limitations. For me to provide you the APN settings that are compatible with your phone, please provide the exact make and model of your device.

I'll wait for your response.

Thanks!

(name left out)
    Straight Talk Wireless"

So there you have it some sort of resolution to a very trying experience of what should have been a very "STRAIGHT" forward matter. This only took some 10 days to resolve and then only half a resolution. I guess you get what you pay for and in this case I do wonder as to what if any configurations were made on the server end in order for me to obtain data with settings I had previously and studiously entered ?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    business phone model must mean we are gonna give you the business and take your money for our business and give you mostly a headache. signed with love the straight talk team. write us anytime @wetakeyourmoney.com

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I've activated now over a dozen phones on Straight Talk using at&t. The last one was in June using the att.mvno settings mentioned in post #9 and everything including MMS eventually worked fine.

I can understand your frustration and now it looks like Straight Talk is routing everything through tfdata and Tracfone - no more or fewer att.mvno routes. Hopefully they can get MMS fixed for you. I wish I could plug in my att.mvno sim card and set my settings just to verify - I bet MMS would work!

Even with att.mvno settings MMS at times can be problematic. These are some of things I learned along the way with MMS;

- I could take up to 4 hours for MMS to start working after activation. Once I had to call ST direct to have it reset.
    - Sending pictures to other carriers could take up to a couple of hours to be received. Almost every time I send MMS pictures to my group of friends, all on various carriers, the results are almost always different from no picture received to long delays. Eventually most all go through.
    - Need a good 3G/ 4G signal to and from the tower to work. I have had no success with MMS working on EDGE or 2G in my area.
    - When MMS does not work REBOOT the phone and try again. Rebooting your phone often solves many MMS problems.
    - If my local at&t tower is congested like during morning or afternoon drive I am often unable to send MMS. May have something to do with customer priority and ST ranking as a MVNO.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Thank you again with your valuable and knowledgeable input. It is clear to me that the cell phone networks have a long way to go to provide the service that is expected today.

Having spent the most of my life in the UK I can attest to it's superior networks but even they have their problems but nothing on the scale that you have in the US. I do appreciate that it is much much easier to provide a service and infrastructure in the UK compared to the US due to it's size, however the US customer service experience from what I have seen seems to be poor to say the least. Sign you up and once tied in to a contract you are well and truly stuck. This is why the likes of the small phone service providers with their monthly paid system will do better than the contract system as it is much easier to dump them.
    Straight Talk I have been for the most part happy with but do urge them to better there service and then they will be in a much better position to take on the big boys and beat them at their own game of inflated contracts and charges.

As for MMS service it was not my priority as I find email better it was just a service that my wife enjoyed for mainly it's simplicity. Your background knowledge though has been very helpful and I do trust other users will take on board our experience and benefit from it. I never gave up and wouldn't but it was indeed a frustrating journey.

Many thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by wg8dx View Post
    I've activated now over a dozen phones on Straight Talk using at&t. The last one was in June using the att.mvno settings mentioned in post #9 and everything including MMS eventually worked fine.

I can understand your frustration and now it looks like Straight Talk is routing everything through tfdata and Tracfone - no more or fewer att.mvno routes. Hopefully they can get MMS fixed for you. I wish I could plug in my att.mvno sim card and set my settings just to verify - I bet MMS would work!

Even with att.mvno settings MMS at times can be problematic. These are some of things I learned along the way with MMS;

- I could take up to 4 hours for MMS to start working after activation. Once I had to call ST direct to have it reset.
    - Sending pictures to other carriers could take up to a couple of hours to be received. Almost every time I send MMS pictures to my group of friends, all on various carriers, the results are almost always different from no picture received to long delays. Eventually most all go through.
    - Need a good 3G/ 4G signal to and from the tower to work. I have had no success with MMS working on EDGE or 2G in my area.
    - When MMS does not work REBOOT the phone and try again. Rebooting your phone often solves many MMS problems.
    - If my local at&t tower is congested like during morning or afternoon drive I am often unable to send MMS. May have something to do with customer priority and ST ranking as a MVNO.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcess View Post
    Thank you again with your valuable and knowledgeable input. It is clear to me that the cell phone networks have a long way to go to provide the service that is expected today.

Having spent the most of my life in the UK I can attest to it's superior networks but even they have their problems but nothing on the scale that you have in the US. I do appreciate that it is much much easier to provide a service and infrastructure in the UK compared to the US due to it's size, however the US customer service experience from what I have seen seems to be poor to say the least. Sign you up and once tied in to a contract you are well and truly stuck. This is why the likes of the small phone service providers with their monthly paid system will do better than the contract system as it is much easier to dump them.
    Straight Talk I have been for the most part happy with but do urge them to better there service and then they will be in a much better position to take on the big boys and beat them at their own game of inflated contracts and charges.

As for MMS service it was not my priority as I find email better it was just a service that my wife enjoyed for mainly it's simplicity. Your background knowledge though has been very helpful and I do trust other users will take on board our experience and benefit from it. I never gave up and wouldn't but it was indeed a frustrating journey.

Many thanks !
    here is a crazy ideal.att phone put it on the $60 gophone plan.problem solved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast