Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Need help with MMS for Android phone

Feedback Score

Need help with MMS for Android phone

I have an Android phone (Pantech Burst) and I'm trying to make MMS work and want to know the correct APN settings.

I can send the MMS but not receive it. I've checked APN settings many times and tried different settings. I looked on this forum, tried an app, looked on Ebay. I also emailed them to ask for the APN settings and tried those too.

The phone I have has certain bands, due to which I dont get 3G/4G in my area.
    I can get data to work, its just on Edge speeds. I have tested it in Baltimore though and I did get 4G there. I've heard about the re-farming effort.
    I've read some information on their website saying they need 3G/4G for picture messaging. The FAQ says:
    What kind of 3G/4G services can I get on a PTEL prepaid cell phone?
    PTEL offers web browsing, picture messaging, access to app stores, and more, on compatible phones/devices. You must have a 3G/4G capable device to enjoy these services.
    But I can still atleast send an MMS. Its the receiving I cant do. What happens is this: I get the text and when I click "download" for that text which contains the picture, it tries and says "receiving failed" and so on.

So if anyone has an Android phone and can both send and receive MMS with Platinum Tel, let me know.
    Last edited by alan31; 03-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Feedback Score
    Help, please.

Does anyone have a working MMS with Platinum Tel where you can receive picture messages?

Feedback Score
    Yes, I have mine working on EDGE and believe I have your same MMS settings. So why you can only receive when you tested it in Baltimore on 4G is beyond my comprehension. Could Android Firewall be the culprit? I'm not rooted.

Feedback Score

The last time I had this issue, the provider had to provision all the settings or services to my phone. Once they did that I was able to both send and receive SMS and mms message.
    If all your APNs are correct the issue is most likely on the providers end.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Receiving MMS takes at least a day past a successful port. Beyond that it should work fine. I have received MMS on PTel using several different Android phones. It sounds like data is not enabled for whatever reason. Are you using any programs such as Juice Defender that tries to manage the data connection? Try turning off WiFi and see if you can receive the MMS.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    I just tried mms on my Note. I can receive, but not send! Huh. Glad I read this thread. Will follow up tomorrow.
    Never be afraid to try, but always know where your back up is when you screw up!

It doesn't cost anything to be nice and say thank-you.

Feedback Score

Until your provider gets your mms issue resolved, so long as you have data, try HandsentSMS ok the play store. It does mms as well and sends everything over the data connection rather than the normal rout.
    Last edited by AndroidFoneFan; 03-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    I have handcent and it won't send either- over data or wifi, although I always had phones that needed to use data to send mms.

Checked my apn and it was set for tmobile- default from the ptel sim. Put on these settings

Go to Settings (may differ based on your version of Android)
    Go to Wireless & Networks
    Go to Mobile Network
    Go to Access Point Name
    Press menu and select “New APN”
    Enter the following settings (case sensitive):
    a. Name:
    PTEL Mobile
    b. APN:
    wholesale
    c. Proxy:
    <blank>
    d. Port:
    <blank>
    e. Username:
    <blank>
    f. Server:
    <blank>
    g. MMSC:
    http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc
    h. MMS Proxy:
    <blank>
    i. MMS Port:
    <blank>
    j. Authentication Type: <blank>
    k. APN Type:
    blank, or internet and MMS
    7. Press menu and select “Save”
    8. Make sure you select the PTEL Mobile profile you just created
    9. Restart your phone

Still not sending. Just got off a chat session and asked if MMS had to be "turned on" on my account. I read that somewhere. After a song and dance of what kind of phone I had and what version of android I had on it (don't know why they needed to know that), I was told that they were having a problem with mms- Wait till Monday and see if it is working then. She still did not answer my question on having mms turned on. Asked if I was able to ever send mms. I never tried till last nite, so no. I checked the apn and changed it to the above settings and still won't send. I again asked if MMS needed to be "turned on" for my account and she said no. If my data was working, then my mms should be too.

Feedback Score
    Well, glad I am not alone either. I hope it will be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom
    I was told that they were having a problem with mms- Wait till Monday and see if it is working then.
    To confirm, you can send but not receive. Correct? So its not "receive but not send".

Quote Originally Posted by kecel View Post
    Yes, I have mine working on EDGE and believe I have your same MMS settings. So why you can only receive when you tested it in Baltimore on 4G is beyond my comprehension. Could Android Firewall be the culprit? I'm not rooted.
    I can send, but not receive. In Baltimore I only tested if 4G was working but I hadnt tested the MMS at that point.
    For the firewall, I've made that mistake before but I'm aware of it now so I turned the firewall off.

Thanks dmarkson, no I have wifi turned off when I'm trying to download MMS.

Hopefully its not a problem on my end and they are trying to fix it. I guess we will have to wait a few days or a week and see how its going.

I wonder if anyone else can receive MMS correctly with P-tel. I can send successfully. Its the receiving that I cannot do. I can see the text part of the MMS but when I go to "download" it wont work.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    So I have a question on the firewalls. I assume droidwall or androidwall is a firewall. I have it set to include handcent services to be able to use data. Is this the only thing asso. with being able to send mms, or is there something else I need to include on the white list or allowed list?

I can receive, but not send mms.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sashusmom View Post
    I have handcent and it won't send either- over data or wifi, although I always had phones that needed to use data to send mms..
    That is something.
    I have a Samsung galaxy S2 that has never been activated, it has no SIM card in it and works off wifi only, and Handsent works perfectly on it.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    Wow... My experience with sms and mms is plain texts send fine without data or wifi, but mms needs data turned on, wifi did not work for mms. I will have to experiment some more. I had an iphone 3gs too. Maybe that's what I am remembering. Have been using GV for texting and that uses wifi or data, but can't send mms. I have a GNex with a tmo sim- I'll experiment with handcent some more. Also have a Note with the ptel. Thanks!

Feedback Score

Yah, GV does not do MMS, while I have GV on the SGS2 to make my calls in conjunction with GrooVeIP I was still able to do SMS and MMS with HandsetSMS before installing the other to make calls, I even use Handsent on tablets to text and send pictures.
    You may have a bad phone some how. Hope you get it figured out.
    I use to be a real anti Samsung person because I got a couple of their low end crapdroid phones and thought all their phones were like that, well I found out through trial and error that only a small few of their models are real crap while the rest can be pretty good phones provided they are on a good network, ( read that as not TMobile, they have horrible service here), those phones unlocked and put on a decent network ( read that as AT&T) work much much better.
    By the way, Handsent works the same on all those other phones, text and picture.
    Again, hope you get it worked out.

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    I have found Handcent really screws things up with Ptel for some reason. It seems to have something to do with asking for delivery reports. Ptel (or whomever deals with the MVNOs) can't seem to deal with that.

I have had a bunch of problems receiving MMS today as well on my Galaxy Nexus. If data is turned off on the first MMS message received it seems to get stuck for awhile.

Phones
    5s/Mega 6.3/nokia 521
    iphone 5s/JB
    Galaxy Note
    Carriers
    At&t
    tmo for tablet
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for all your inputs! dmarkson, I think you might have that on the nose. Never had a problem with handcent till ptel. Always used it as default and was great. Ptel did say they were having problems with mms today. I have switched my sims in my phones and will try again with ptel in my gnex. I get to put a new rom on my Note tonite! Oh boy!!!!! It's nice some devs are still supporting it since most have moved to the Note 2. Ptmr's Jedi, sons of Android 4.2.2.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast