Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does Tracfone have a true android phone?

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I see a comment on a post (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1)

that links to http://androidcommunity.com/tracfone...y-lg-20130419/
    (which is a repost of this tweet https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/325293677889077248 about this http://9to5google.com/2013/04/19/tra...od+and+Evil%29 )

The original post looks to be from mid April, and 2.5 months later still nothing.

Then a comment form TF saying "Sue Brady Yes. It would still be pay go. You can transfer your phone number, minutes, and service days to the new phone as long as your phone number is active. ^Janice"

But the first post wasn't from TF, and they are not know for being very accurate.

I still doubt they are actually going to TF. More likely NET10/ST.
    The four phones in the picture are the Optimus Dynamic, Optimus Extreme,Optimus Quest, and Optimus Ultimate, which have all been released by Tracfone's Straight Talk and NET10 brands.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    The four phones in the picture are the Optimus Dynamic, Optimus Extreme,Optimus Quest, and Optimus Ultimate, which have all been released by Tracfone's Straight Talk and NET10 brands.
    Further proof that the TF reps (Janice in this case) are clueless.

Just noticed that the evleaks tweet and post were mentioned earlier in this thread (I though it looked familiar).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by underlord2 View Post
    I vaguely remember that story, but I thought they would charge a small monthly fee for the internet part (the 3g wasn't free). I could be remembering the story badly though.
    If TF is going this far, they could set the phones up for wifi only unless there is time on the phone.
    Just like with their feature phones, if you use the Internet it deducts from your available cell units, or they could have a user controled cell data off switch that would make all data have to go through wifi.
    Would be sweet if this were real, that TF was actually bringing some kind of Android phone to TF ( not ST or N10 ), lets just hope that if they do, they don't start out with some rinkydink thing.
    I mean I wouldn't care if it was running 2.3 just so long as the phone had at least 6 to 8 gigs on board memory, 512mb ram and a 1 gig processor. Even a 3MP camera would be ok for starters. And if they started these as triple min for life phones it would make them even more popular.

ST to IPhone http://howardforums.com/bYd8e
    ST to Android http://howardforums.com/Xael3
    ST to Windows Phone http://howardforums.com/MMuZH
    Tracfone CS at 800-876-5753 or 800-626-4883
    Phone Number for Google Customer Service. 18558363987

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/7.0.5/30.3389; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

They will not bring android to tracphone.thats America movil has different companies for different type of users.people that want android have to accept that.there are many prepaid companies for android users that don't need many minutes.its to much work to get tracphone rates to a low price.they charge to much.

Feedback Score
    You may be right, but market demands may make it happen.
    Either Amerian Movel will make it happen for the very low end cell market or another company will.
    But the first company to it will make lots of money.
    People even on this forum use to say, no one will pay hundreds for a Good Android Phone through Straight Talk.
    STs first phone was a POC and over priced, but they flew off the shelves. ST continues to sell everything they stick out there be it a POC, half way decent or exceptional and high priced.
    If AM puts a half way decent Android on the Tracfone brand, not ST and not Net10.
    They will sell, no one thought ST or N10 could sell them and just look.
    The market is there and AM would make money.
    AM may not do it, but someone is going to and if it isn't AM, they are going to regret it.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    PagePlus and Air Voice already have cheap options for BYOD Androids. I'm sure a ST or NET10 device could be used too.

I just don't see TF fitting it in their model. No way to track minutes. That's why ST and NET10 are "unlimited" only for androids.
    AM doesn't need another "unlimited" option.

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    LOL I keep seeing that there is no way to track min, but if other people are doing it it can be done. And TF cold do it and do it securely but they probably wouldn't want to go through the effort.
    The argument has been that TF could not lock down the OS enough to keep people from doing things TF does not want them to because of Androids open architecture, but AM/TF could lock the subsystem down with a their proprietary system and run android as an overlay.
    Companies do it with PC, servers etc all the time.
    It would just be a matter of AM wanting to spend the time to make it happen.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidFoneFan View Post
    LOL I keep seeing that there is no way to track min,
    DIdfn't say it wasn
    t possible, even poiinted out that PP an AV do it.

But none of the AM companies do it. Not TF, not ST, and not NET10.

They just didn't setup the infrastructure to do it.
    They could, but I don't think they will

but AM/TF could lock the subsystem down with a their proprietary system and run android as an overlay.
    Companies do it with PC, servers etc all the time.
    It would just be a matter of AM wanting to spend the time to make it happen.
    Just visit XDA and other android forums. You'll see how quickly new devices get hacked.
    The only thing they could try is a hardware code signature test that does a factory restore or bricks the device is things don't match.

But even then, hackers find ways around. While there' not been much reason to with current TF devices, put out a decent android, and someone will hack it and find a way to make calls that don't deduct from the airtime bank.

The only way to do it is to track minutes on the carrier side. Anything on the device wil get hacked.

Feedback Score
    The Tracfone phone selection is skewed toward lower end phones, which is alright by me, as I'm happy to use older technology at a low price. I'm not an early adopter. Perhaps the main drawback was that they usually disabled any data transfer capability that was originally designed into the phone, however that seems to be changing somewhat in recent times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a5253628 View Post
    The Tracfone phone selection is skewed toward lower end phones, which is alright by me, as I'm happy to use older technology at a low price. I'm not an early adopter. Perhaps the main drawback was that they usually disabled any data transfer capability that was originally designed into the phone, however that seems to be changing somewhat in recent times.
    You are certainly right about the skewing toward lower-end phones, but not keeping up with modern products seems risky to me.

I was a Tracfone customer for I don't know how many years -- six or seven I'd guess. Then I wanted to get a phone with a QWERTY keyboard so my wife could text more easily. Tracfone didn't sell any. And this was only three or so years ago when almost everybody offered one! This gave me the impetus to look around to see if there were any other options. (At the time I wasn't aware of other MVNO offerings. Heck I had never even heard of the term "MVNO.")

So I wound up jumping ship and have never regretted it. My point is that had they simply kept up with the times a little better, I would probably have never bothered to educate myself and would still be forking over money on a regular basis. I appreciate that there are some customers who don't care about upgrading, but with smartphones becoming more and more a part of everyday life, it would seem that this type of customer would be getting rarer.

Phones
    LG 505C
    LG505C
    Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I've been a Tracfone customer for 10+ years, and the fact that they don't offer CDMA Android phones is the reason I'm going to switch, probably to PagePlus or Selectel. I'm a light user ( DON"T want to be accessible 24/7!!!), but I would like to be able to check my Hotmail account from my phone (Tracfone will not support Outlook). I don't need the latest and greatest, but Android is something I really want on a phone.

Feedback Score

they're here

Apparently, Tracfone android phones are here.

I'm not allowed to post links, which sucks. But a quick search on amazon or google will show you a samsung and a zte model. I saw an advertisement for service "from $7 a month" which seems too low to me. It seems that the minutes for android phones, get tripled and converted into minutes, texts, and MB of data. So the 400 minute 1 year plan for $99 becomes 400 minutes, 400 texts, and 400 MB of data. I read somewhere that it might actually become 1200 of each (400 * 3) but that seems too good to be true.

One of the amazon reviews mentioned getting a new phone number from verizon. Thought tracfone was ATT only?

Still looking for info.

Carrier
    T-Mobile ToGo, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    There's plenty of info on this forum if your willing to look. Time cards are tripled so a 400 min card would turn into 120min/1200 texts/1200 data. TF has never been ATT only, they've had ATT and T-Mobile GSM phones for a long time and Verizon CDMA phones for quite awhile too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by apc5e View Post
    Apparently, Tracfone android phones are here.

But a quick search on amazon or google will show you a samsung and a zte model.
    A quick search will show you there are 4 android tracfones now.

I saw an advertisement for service "from $7 a month" which seems too low to me.
    It's actually lower than $7/month but they rounded up. If you buy 4 60-minute cards it's $80/year, or $6.67/month.

I read somewhere that it might actually become 1200 of each (400 * 3) but that seems too good to be true.
    It *is* true. 1200.

Most of the things you said were wrong, including "ATT only". You need to do a lot of reading on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2