Thread: Needd a good app for international calling and texting

Feedback Score

Needd a good app for international calling and texting

I have family overseas and I need to constantly communicate with them via text and calls . Straight talk $60 plan is not affordable to me since I lost my job. If anyone knows about a good app to make international calls and text , please let me know. Your responses will be appreciated.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Feedback Score
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    How much data does google voice app use? This is straight talk and I have to watch my data usage.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Near none. Phone calls use minutes, not data. Texts use data, but very little.

Feedback Score
    Therefore if I make a free call to canada using google voice I will not be in trouble with straight talk. In other words it is not going to show me making international calls using straight talk right? International calls are only allowed on the $60 plan on straight talk. Thanks again

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by juno2005 View Post
    Therefore if I make a free call to canada using google voice I will not be in trouble with straight talk. In other words it is not going to show me making international calls using straight talk right? International calls are only allowed on the $60 plan on straight talk. Thanks again
    Google Voice calls a US Google phone number, which then connects you to the international phone number and deducts credit from your Google Voice account accordingly. As far as ST is concerned, it's a domestic call.

Feedback Score
    Thanks a million GTwannabe.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    If this is just a few family members, and not a lot of different businesses and various people that you are calling, then I'd look into Skype. If they have Skype and you do, too, then it's free. This would use data, so would be bet to use on wifi. don't know your situation, whether you're calling daily or just every once in a while. Another option if you are calling just one person is magic jack. My aunt is moving to Panama, and they have bought a magic jack number. It's a local, US number, but will ring their broadband in panama. They are moving in the next weeks, so not sure how that will work yet, but I know with Skype, I was able to talk to a friend in Iraq by video call several years ago when he was stationed there, and it was quite good. Can do that on a smartphone or computer. My wife and i also use skype instant message a lot rather than texting because that,s what they use in her school (she's a teacher) for communication within the school, and it's the easiest way to communicate with her during the day. However, one warning, if you leave Skype running on your phone all the time, it will likely drain your battery faster. So I use IMO on my phone for both Skype and googletalk instant messaging. and I open the Skype application when I need to make a call on it, and then close the app down afterward.