Thread: Just got a "new" unactivated 3GS; how do I find out what baseband it has?

Feedback Score

Just got a "new" unactivated 3GS; how do I find out what baseband it has?

I just swapped out an older 3GS that was having battery issues with a "new" one from Apple that they sold to me for $79 with the trade-in of the old 3GS.

I want to unlock and jailbreak it so I can give it to my sister, but I want to do it with my IPSW that I made with 4.3.2 that I used on my iPhone.

However, since this new one has not been activated yet, I can't get in to see the baseband. So I'm not sure if the baseband it has is compatible with the unlock and jailbreak that I have.

How do I find out what baseband it has, and how do I find out if it's compatible with my JB/UL?

Phones
    Launch Apple iPhone 5 32GB Black & Slate (Factory UnLocked)
    Launch Apple iPhone 4[S] 32GB Black (Unlocked)
    Launch Apple iPhone 4 16GB Black (AT&T) / Apple iPhone 4 16GB Black (FIDO) (BOTH SOLD)
    Carrier
    FIDO
    Feedback Score
    I'd just insert a sim and activate it. The sim used to active it doens't have to have a current active account or phone number on it, it'll just work.

OR

If you know what firmware the phone has right now, you can use redsn0w to activate it.
    1999 VW Passat 1.8T Tiptronic (auto.)

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Verizon, Straight Talk (AT&T), T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Try using TinyUmbrella

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I actually used F0recast from ih8sn0w which told me not only the firmware, but also how to JB and UL it.

It also had the added benefit of getting rid of the emergency screen that you "can't get past" until you activate it, which obviously is not true.

I have BB 5.16.02 running 4.3.3.

F0recast said I should use redsn0w to JB it, and in order to unlock it, I have to upgrade the baseband to the iPad baseband.

The thing is, once I do that, I can't go back to the original BB, which would disallow me to bring it in for any warranty work during the 90 days of warranty Apple gave me for this replacement phone.

Is there any other way to JB and UL it that would give me the ability to restore it back to an iPhone BB so that I could take advantage of the warranty if need be?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You can JB it, just can't unlock if you ever need warranty work.

My 3GS is 19 months old (1 month older than my son LOL) and it has never needed warranty work. Just be careful with it. But having said that, I would never put the iPad BB on it. I recently upgraded to 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze and preserved my unlock-able 5.13.04 base band.
    iPhone 5 32GB Black, iOS 7.0.4 stock
    Week 43 3GS 16GB Black, iOS 5.1.1 stock, preserved 05.13.04 BB

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Jailbreaking puts more stress on the home and on/off buttons. I had to get my iPhone 4 replaced before warranty was up because the home button was acting flaky. So when jailbreaking, don't hold on the buttons too hard when entering DFU mode.

The 3G and 3GS home buttons are easier to replace since the screen gets separated first versus the iPhone 4 which has the back get separated. You can see the steps on iFixit

If you can't unlock because of warranty, you can still use the phone without AT&T. Just use an MVNO that uses AT&T network like Pure Talk USA, H2O, Straight Talk, or GoPhone (AT&T Prepaid). I was able to activate a SIM using GoPhone Prepaid with my locked iPhone 3G. Everything worked fine except for the internet. You'll need to change the APN to get that working.

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I agree, I wouldn't put the iPad baseband on it either if it can be avoided. You can't undo that.

As of right now no unlock available for your baseband but who knows maybe a new unlock will be released soon. Maybe not. There's no telling. IF you have to have it right away then it's your call.

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Another option is to sell your phone on eBay and list it with warranty. That should up the value a bit. Then use the proceeds to get an unlockable iPhone off of eBay or straight from Apple. Although I'd wait for the next iPhone 5/4GS since its only a few more months.

I recently bought a used 3GS off of eBay. The screen is a bit washed out and there is dust under the camera lens. Other than that its working fine as an unlocked iPhone.

Feedback Score
    My 3GS is 19 months old (1 month older than my son LOL) and it has never needed warranty work. Just be careful with it. But having said that, I would never put the iPad BB on it. I recently upgraded to 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze and preserved my unlock-able 5.13.04 base band.
    Ha. Funny. My other iPhone has the same base band that yours has, 5.13.04, and I'm happily using it on T-Mobile. Is there any way I can "copy" the base band from my other iphone and downgrade the base band of replacement iPhone to 5.13.04? Probably not, but I figured I would ask.

If you can't unlock because of warranty, you can still use the phone without AT&T. Just use an MVNO that uses AT&T network like Pure Talk USA, H2O, Straight Talk, or GoPhone (AT&T Prepaid). I was able to activate a SIM using GoPhone Prepaid with my locked iPhone 3G. Everything worked fine except for the internet. You'll need to change the APN to get that working.
    That sounds cool, except I want to send it to my sister in South Korea so she can use it there. She's teaching English for a year there. If there is an ATT affiliate there that will allow her to use the locked 3GS, please do tell. However, she would most likely want to use it with the Korean cell service company she is using for her unlocked Blackberry.

Yes, she would like to use it right away, especially if we can get it to work with the ability to take advantage of the warranty.

Another option is to sell your phone on eBay and list it with warranty. That should up the value a bit. Then use the proceeds to get an unlockable iPhone off of eBay or straight from Apple. Although I'd wait for the next iPhone 5/4GS since its only a few more months.

I recently bought a used 3GS off of eBay. The screen is a bit washed out and there is dust under the camera lens. Other than that its working fine as an unlocked iPhone.
    Great idea. I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macselite View Post
    Ha. Funny. My other iPhone has the same base band that yours has, 5.13.04, and I'm happily using it on T-Mobile. Is there any way I can "copy" the base band from my other iphone and downgrade the base band of replacement iPhone to 5.13.04? Probably not, but I figured I would ask.
    There's a shop in China that posted pics and instructions on how to remove a baseband chip on the 3G[S] and solder a new one with the old baseband version. The service cost about $80. Plus you have to send it to China. Whether you will ever get your phone back, who knows? Plus you'll be voiding your warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by macselite View Post
    That sounds cool, except I want to send it to my sister in South Korea so she can use it there. She's teaching English for a year there. If there is an ATT affiliate there that will allow her to use the locked 3GS, please do tell. However, she would most likely want to use it with the Korean cell service company she is using for her unlocked Blackberry.
    Just sell it on eBay or find someone on Craigslist. The last time I read the warranty for iPhones, its only active for your home country. So if it breaks in Korea, she'll have to pay to get it serviced. You can get your sister an Apple gift card so she can pick up a local iPhone.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice. I just sold it on eBay.

I'm just wondering, since I used F0recast to find out the baseband, and consequently, it is no longer acting like it needs to be activated (goes right to the homescreen when turned on), what does the buyer need to do to use it? Can he just pop his ATT sim card in and he is good to go?

Does he still need to activate it? If so, how? Does he need to activate it a different way or the same way? Either way, how does he activate it if he still needs to do that? I've never had to activate an iPhone, because I've always just unlocked it and used it on TMO.

And I sold it as brand new, which it is. But will the fact that it goes straight to the homescreen because I used F0recast on it b a problem for the buyer in any way?

Phones
    Iphone 4 32Gb Black
    Razr V3xx
    iPhone 32gb 3GS Black
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if the buyer has att and it needs to be activated it'll be activated by his/her sim card. So nothing on your part there.
    Also, if it's already on the latest firmware (4.3.3) and already has the latest baseband (whatever comes with 4.3.3) then it'll be best for the buyer to just restore the phone to 4.3.3 anyhow and they can activate with their sim card as though they just bought it from the apple store.

jailbreaking is easy enough now with jailbreakme.com working again. They can do that from their phone.

or you could do that first part (except the activation thing) for them. Whatever if they have att it's no problem.

Oh it'd be good to backup the SHSH of the phone for them. Just use latest Tiny Umbrella and click Save SHSH

Feedback Score
    I actually went to SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET>ERASE ALL CONTENT AND SETTINGS, and was able to put it back to where I wanted it (asking for a SIM card to activate). Yes, it was already the lastest firmware, 4.3.3, and latest baseband, 5.15.02, which is why I didn't just unlock it. However, I just read that they have now updated UltraSn0w to support that baseband. But I don't see that noted anywhere on the Dev Team's blog, so I'm not sure if that info is accurate.

Looks like you're on top of things. The post about jailbreakme being up and running again was just posted yesterday on the Dev Team's blog. Gotta give you props for that! Thanks.

So now that we are in the market for an iPhone 4 that is unlockable, which iPhone 4 basebands are supported by Ultrasn0w?

Phones
    iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2)
    Motorola V400 (backup)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If the dev team hasn't posted anything about a new unlock, then don't believe it. Like public enemy said, "don't believe the hype."